No More Heroes - Another Wii Flop?

I want to ask everyone a question about this game, have you seen any advertising?

If the answer is no, the game will sell at best, mediocre.

Did you ever see a Zack and Wiki ad? How well has that sold?

How many Gears of War ads did you see? Enough that I looked it up a couple of times.

This goes to every other game that sees sales, even if the game is crappy, if there is a lot of advertising it will sell better than a good non-adverstised game.

Budo said:
2) Japan is a somewhat niche market for video games relative to the North American market for example. They have a broader taste for gaming, especially when it comes to North American style ones. Halo 3 is an example of the rest of the World vs. Japan.

And for the record, I will be buying it when it's released.
Yeah i heard Shooting games don't sell well because guns and killing people aren't in thier interests, reflecting their culture.

Moose said:
He said Metal Gear Solid. Not Metal Gear Solid 4. I'm assuming he means Twin snakes, seeing as how thats the only MGS game i've seen released on a nintendo.

Also, i don't plan on getting this game. It looks...ok. I've read up on it, but it's just not super appealing to me. currently it's under rent status. we'll see what happens after that.

good call, forgot about that, aside from the original Metal Gear, but that wasn't a "Solid" one. so yeah. i would rather not get twin snakes though, just another port. Stupid ports, though RE:4 was sweet. haha

kyle

None of Grasshopper's games have been commerically successful; they're too niche for a market that wants casual games and neverending sequels (especially Dragon Quest) and I think No More Heroes appeals more to Westerners. Trust me, if No More Heroes was on the PS3 or the 360, it still wouldn't sell many copies.

Keep in mind the game in Japan has blood replaced with pixels, so some may be upset about that. Maybe they don't know how to take this game, as it has things in it all over the map..humor, good gameplay, visuals etc.

Hopefully it does better here, and despite the lack of advertising on here, many Wii owners (especially the ones on this forum) should buy this game. It looks really good.

God, some of you totally missed my point.

Of course there are exceptions to every demographic I mentioned. You have to realize that there are roughly 20 million plus gamers out there based on all these statistics that are being thrown around by the gaming companies. With that being said, my demographics were taking into account the majority of gamers within the demographics.

Of course there are going to be people of every age range that like this game, and of course there are people out there that like anime/games like Zach and Wiki--but the MAJORITY do not, hence the terrible sales numbers. These games simply do not appeal to the vast majority of gamers like a Zelda, or even a Bioshock do. Why you ask? Because they are not the type of games that todays mainstream gamer wants to play based on my earlier writings.

And to the guy who attempts to equate Pokemon to anime type games, you've got to be kidding me. Pokemon was huge with KIDS, not the over 18 demo-- I should know, I was 18 when Pokemon fever hit the US, and I can tell you that those games were the furthest things from our minds back in 1998-1999. But you did prove my point pretty well, Zach and Wiki's art style is popular with the kids..and NMH probably will be too.

And to the guy who says he doesn't see kids playing NMH bc there parents won't let them..is that a joke? You should see how many little kids are on Halo 3/ COD4 on a nightly basis playing online. I agree with you that kids shouldn't be playing that game, but it aint happenin..welcome to America 2008. Ohh, and I know about the mini game system in NMH, and not only do I not see myself playing it, but I can't really see my 60 year old parents buying that game because of the mini games- or it appealling to them at all.

Final thought- Comparing Gears of War to NMH storywise? Are you serious? Come on!! Gears was a great sci-fi tale--not about a kid who buys a lightsaber off of ebay then becomes the hero of a gritty world.

Back