No More Heroes Question about pop-in

miiplaywii

WiiChat Member
Nov 22, 2006
When I'm riding the bike around town, the pop in is so bad that palm trees are appearing practically right beside me. Is this the same for you? I'm just making sure its not a bad disc.

There's no way it's a bad disc. Every disc is exactly identical. You could get scratches on it, but even then it wouldn't cause the problems you're describing.

That pop-in is there for everybody. The IGN review criticizes the game quite a bit for, whereas most other reviewers ignore it, I guess. But yeah, it's supposed to be bad, so I'm not surprised by what you describe.

This Suda dude didn't polish this turd too well.

Actually bad discs happen occasionally. I had one bad disc for Wii-The God Father. Took it back and the guy said it sometimes happens. Ideally the discs are identical but there is always a chance of error.

i dont really understand what you guys mean by a pop in.

Thats when something, usually scenery appears suddenly in a game rather than fading in from a distance. Its most common in older racing games especially PS1, Cruisn USA was pretty bad too. Theres some even in MoH:H2.

It's when stuff pops in out of nowhere. It's been pretty bad in every open world Wii game (NMH, The Godfather, etc.). It's pretty much unacceptable on the current gen consoles, but expect it a lot on the Wii (moreso lazy developers than the hardware capabilities of the Wii). The graphics are pretty crappy in NMH, so it's obvious that the pop-in isn't due to hardware limitations but rather laziness and lack of polish. Unacceptable.

Atomheart said:
It's when stuff pops in out of nowhere. It's been pretty bad in every open world Wii game (NMH, The Godfather, etc.). It's pretty much unacceptable on the current gen consoles, but expect it a lot on the Wii (moreso lazy developers than the hardware capabilities of the Wii). The graphics are pretty crappy in NMH, so it's obvious that the pop-in isn't due to hardware limitations but rather laziness and lack of polish. Unacceptable.

You are at it again with your shinanegans.... :crazy:

It's official - you are a NMH troll! :yesnod:

Graphics in the game did get praise though, like with the colour and the cell shading, the only downside was the pop ins and the poor framerates. There is no need to constantly bash the game.

Shaderhack said:
You are at it again with your shinanegans.... :crazy:

It's official - you are a NMH troll! :yesnod:

Hey, I'm being pretty objective here. The game has really bad pop-ins; that's a fact. It's completely unacceptable and very much indicitive of demonstrating a complete lack of polish. Even GTA3 on the PS2 had better pop-in (according to reviews). That game was early generation PS2 about 8 years ago. The world was WAY huger and more expansive with tons more going on to boot.

Atomheart said:
Hey, I'm being pretty objective here. The game has really bad pop-ins; that's a fact. It's completely unacceptable and very much indicitive of demonstrating a complete lack of polish. Even GTA3 on the PS2 had better pop-in (according to reviews). That game was early generation PS2 about 8 years ago. The world was WAY huger and more expansive with tons more going on to boot.

Pop in is minor. I'm more concerned with how the game plays. Which it seems almost every review agrees with..

Lack of polish is when you have a game with graphical power but is weak with it's gameplay (i.e. Crysis).

I'd rather play a simple bowling game looking at a character with no arms, a lego head and body but excellent gameplay than to play a game with excellent graphics and realism and it sux to play.

That's true... I guess... I wasn't expecting a game like NMH to have frame-rate and pop-in issues. The graphics are pretty cool looking but nothing spectacular (even for the Wii) so i didnt think it would have these problems.

The biggest thing im more worried about when I get this game in the future is how bad the frame rate is and the repetitiveness of the stupid odd jobs you have to do. Im not to fond of the idea of having to mow lawns, save kittens and work at a gas station. Pretty tedious IMO. Pop-in doesn't bother me as long as its not too bad. But since this thread was made, I guess its pretty bad if someone decides to make a thread asking about it :/

Shaderhack said:
Pop in is minor. I'm more concerned with how the game plays. Which it seems almost every review agrees with..

Lack of polish is when you have a game with graphical power but is weak with it's gameplay (i.e. Crysis).

I'd rather play a simple bowling game looking at a character with no arms, a lego head and body but excellent gameplay than to play a game with excellent graphics and realism and it sux to play.

That still doesn't excuse the fact that they created an unpolished and incomplete game. Subpar graphics are one thing, but terrible pop-in, staggering framerate and collision issues are something else entirely. The game is unpolished and that's a fact.

T3kNi9e said:
That's true... I guess... I wasn't expecting a game like NMH to have frame-rate and pop-in issues. The graphics are pretty cool looking but nothing spectacular (even for the Wii) so i didnt think it would have these problems.

The biggest thing im more worried about when I get this game in the future is how bad the frame rate is and the repetitiveness of the stupid odd jobs you have to do. Im not to fond of the idea of having to mow lawns, save kittens and work at a gas station. Pretty tedious IMO. Pop-in doesn't bother me as long as its not too bad. But since this thread was made, I guess its pretty bad if someone decides to make a thread asking about it :/

Well you don't save kittens, you have one in your apartment :lol:
Plus the odd jobs don't seem to take away much from the game so its not something to dread over.

Atomheart said:
That still doesn't excuse the fact that they created an unpolished and incomplete game. Subpar graphics are one thing, but terrible pop-in, staggering framerate and collision issues are something else entirely. The game is unpolished and that's a fact.

Thats funny, I don't remember reading its an unpolished and incomplete game anywhere. Like I said already and reviews have said, besides the pop ins are bad and the framerates are bad in certain places, the visuals are pretty good. Cell shading is done nicely, and colour was used very nicely as well. Quit it with the ludacris comments dude.

Atomheart said:

The game is NOT unpolished.

Have you even played the game?

Pop-in, staggering framerate (I haven't come across this yet where it was significant) and collision issues are all apart of the graphics engine. That has nothing to do with the game design. If you want to say their graphics engine could've been optimized better coming from a technical standpoint, then you'd have the right to say so. But if you don't already know, cel-shading is not trivial. And before you ask, yes, I'm a graphics programmer..

-M

Shaderhack said:
The game is NOT unpolished.

Have you even played the game?

Pop-in, staggering framerate (I haven't come across this yet where it was significant) and collision issues are all apart of the graphics engine. That has nothing to do with the game design. If you want to say their graphics engine could've been optimized better coming from a technical standpoint, then you'd have the right to say so. But if you don't already know, cel-shading is not trivial. And before you ask, yes, I'm a graphics programmer..

-M

So horrid pop-in, unstable framerate, poor collision detection, etc. were intentional parts of the graphics engine? If not, the game is unpolished. It's as simple as that; I don't understand what you don't get.

Flaws such as those are inexcusable in every other game--why is that not the case with this game?

Back