north pole is gone

Frogger said:
Another thing, what country would evacuate them to a safer place? Because I certainly don't see America getting up off their ass and performing for the good of people, the UK doesn't have the facilities or materials, well, it doesn't have anything really... America left the victims of poor hurricane Katrina and it still isn't fixed, who else will dot hat job? Bono? I don't think so.

You might want to rephrase that ... the American government left the victims of Katrina. Hell, the American government is the reason that it turned out to be so devastating. It annoys me that my government is too concerned with what is going on in the middle east and everywhere else as opposed to what is going on in the country they are supposed to be running. We spent all our money on a nonsense war, so much money, that Bush actually cut the funding on the levees that were built to avoid the devastation that katrina brought. Now look at the Bridge collapse in minnesota, America can't take care of its own citizens and infrastructure how are we supposed to show a foreign country who knows nothing of democracy, how to set one up. Especially when it is 3 factions of one religion who want nothing to do with each other and really only have furthering their groups own intentions.

The whole situation is severely messed up , but please refrain from saying that "America" wouldn't do anything. Because i personally take offense to that, b/c i want no affiliation with the bullshit that this government tries to pull. If it was actually feasible for me to move out of the country i would.

asdfghjkl said:
i know this is off topic, but is puerto rico part of america, or it's own territory, or does it belong to south america. cus dats where ide go....

Puerto Rico is a territory of America. It might as well be the 51st state.

Puerto Rico, is a self governing unincorporated territory of the United States with Commonwealth status.

Even though all people born in Puerto Rico are statutory U.S. citizens, the nature of Puerto Rico's political relationship with the United States is the subject of ongoing debate on the island, in the United States Congress, and in the United Nations

Barnzy02 said:
It is also, IMO, quite ignorant to say that humans as a whole haven't contributed to the onset of what is going on. The Billions of cars in the world, factories, airplanes, and what have you constantly spewing gases into the air are like a giant magnifying glass. They gas has no where to go but rest in our atmosphere and is intensifying the uv heat from the sun. The industrial revolution, could have been the worst thing that has happened to us.

I've said it before so I apologise if this sounds like an echo...........

Global Warming and Cooling has been happening for at least 650 million years. Cars were invented approximately 100 or so years ago. The industrial revolution was approx 300 years ago. Please explain how the earth heated previously. Did dinosaurs drive cars?

captainff said:
I've said it before so I apologise if this sounds like an echo...........

Global Warming and Cooling has been happening for at least 650 million years. Cars were invented approximately 100 or so years ago. The industrial revolution was approx 300 years ago. Please explain how the earth heated previously. Did dinosaurs drive cars?

This isn't about how or if the earth goes through these natural cycles on its own. What we are debating is the impact that humans 'may' have had on our environment. Do you think that all the gasses we emit into the atmosphere have no repercussions? Of course these things happen naturally, the point several people and the rest of the world are trying to impart unto you is that. We have had a direct effect on the current rise in surface temperature and the resulting increase in polar cap meltage.

We need to stop denying that and start making changes that can hopefully maybe delay what has already been set into movement.

Barnzy02 said:
This isn't about how or if the earth goes through these natural cycles on its own. What we are debating is the impact that humans 'may' have had on our environment. Do you think that all the gasses we emit into the atmosphere have no repercussions? Of course these things happen naturally, the point several people and the rest of the world are trying to impart unto you is that. We have had a direct effect on the current rise in surface temperature and the resulting increase in polar cap meltage.

We need to stop denying that and start making changes that can hopefully maybe delay what has already been set into movement.

Alternatively....... we need to stop thinking that we are all powerful and realise that we are but a virus on the surface of this planet. I don't think that I have denied that humanity has had an effect on the situation, but I truly don't think that I or you or anyone else has the ability to stop a planetary cycle. Sure cutting pollution would make the place nicer to live on but it isn't going to stop the water level rising.

The historical evidence shows that this has happened many times before humanity existed.

Let me give you another example. During the last ice age the area between England and France was an oak forest. Currently it is a seawater channel that is 22 miles across at it's shortest point. Cars and airplanes didn't cause the sea level to rise that much, planetary cycles did. And it will continue to rise and there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop it.

captainff said:
Alternatively....... we need to stop thinking that we are all powerful and realise that we are but a virus on the surface of this planet. I don't think that I have denied that humanity has had an effect on the situation, but I truly don't think that I or you or anyone else has the ability to stop a planetary cycle. Sure cutting pollution would make the place nicer to live on but it isn't going to stop the water level rising.

The historical evidence shows that this has happened many times before humanity existed.

Let me give you another example. During the last ice age the area between England and France was an oak forest. Currently it is a seawater channel that is 22 miles across at it's shortest point. Cars and airplanes didn't cause the sea level to rise that much, planetary cycles did. And it will continue to rise and there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop it.

I agree with you to the extent that there really isn't anything we can do. Things are set in motion and one way or another the sea level will rise, the planet will heat or cool. We will just be left to deal with whatever comes of it. But that also doesnt mean that we should abandon any efforts to possibly change the ways we have been living that have been harming our environment (and possibly speeding up all that is happening).

I agree with you on the terms of humanity being a virus. We are a plague that will either destroy the planet or be destroyed by it.

I think that there are things that can be done, however trivial it may be. But if we change our way of thinking atleast a little bit, it could compound and actually be a really good thing for the future.

captainff said:
Please explain how the earth heated previously. Did dinosaurs drive cars?
The earth rotates at an angle (what i mean by that is that the north pole isn't actually at the top of the earth). there is more green aka trees in the northern hemisphere than the southern. so when it's summer in northen hemisphere the cycle of O2 and CO2 is what you could call average (that is if you take into account only natural sources of CO2 and O2.) then when it's summer in the southern hemisphere, there is less green land, and just the CO2 levels do rise naturaly, but at a much slower rate, and it's even possible to prove this.

asdfghjkl said:
Your right with the fat ass america thing, millions of ppl over weight, tons of them dont care of others, i would would know, i live where they're EVERYWHERE.
and thats no way to talk about your self.

Last edited:
captainff said:
I don't disagree about any of the potentially disasterous effects of global warming......only the causes of them.

Have you ever looked at a CO2 concentration in the Atmosphere VS Temperature curve? Yes the earth does have natural increases and decreases in temperature but the rate this change is happening today is anything but natural. How can this be though, if warming and cooling happens in a neat cyclic fashion as you make out? :yikes: I'll tell you the answer global warming, which in its most basic form is caused via emission of CO2 to the atmosphere, which in turn traps more heat and warms the earth...... Thats a very simple explanation but you sound like an intelligent guy so I'm sure you've caught on ;)

Eagles said:
Have you ever looked at a CO2 concentration in the Atmosphere VS Temperature curve? Yes the earth does have natural increases and decreases in temperature but the rate this change is happening today is anything but natural. How can this be though, if warming and cooling happens in a neat cyclic fashion as you make out? :yikes: I'll tell you the answer global warming, which in its most basic form is caused via emission of CO2 to the atmosphere, which in turn traps more heat and warms the earth...... Thats a very simple explanation but you sound like an intelligent guy so I'm sure you've caught on ;)

Sorry to be pedantic but I never said that it was neat, just that it has been happenning for a while before we were here.......

That it has happened for hundreds of millions of years....... how does that make it the fault of humanity?

All living things produce CO2. Cows, trees, humans.....it is a byproduct of respiration.

Many natural cycles are self limiting. I see Global Warming / Cooling as an example of this.

this thread is retarded, so is the thread starter..as well as the people believing this
i dont know if this has been said before but:
the north pole is in GREENLAND, the earth is on a TILT, so its not directly on top of the world map like we all like to believe

as for global warming, whatever! as the postal service said:

Where concerns about the world getting warmer
The people thought they were just being rewarded
For treating others as they like to be treated
For obeying stop signs and curing diseases
For mailing letters with the address of the sender
Now we can swim any day in November

steelersfatboy said:
when humans eventually die, but planet earth is still in exisistence, what species will rule this planet? i say raptors will come back to life and rule! lol
dont count on it, raptors are hardly what they are portrayed to be in movies. standing around 3 feet tall and bird-like features, they wouldnt be near the top of recycled species to take over, they are just a pawn in the dinorsaur ecosystem.

Last edited:
Back