north pole is gone

asdfghjkl said:
the world wont flood, the water will just rise....a lot. but some buildings and structures and mountain tops will still be high. and boats can be used for travel, the hotness will make good for swimmiing, and tanning will be a hot spot. fish will be loved world wide.
ok, so just thinking about the flooding.
what about all that fresh water going into the gulf stream? whats going to happen then? go read a few books.

its jus like windwaker. we are all gonna flood, and we are gonna have to sail from island to island. *(except no ganon)*

Gaz said:
what about all that fresh water going into the gulf stream? whats going to happen then? go read a few books.

As I said before......evidence is that the water level is the lowest it has ever been. Yes, humanity will be screwed when the inevitable happens, but it has nothing to do with us as a species. It is part of a far larger cycle that we can have no control over.

MysticGohan said:
they say that because thats when the mayan calendar ends...(the one that we use)
What will we do then if we are still alive? Make a new calendar?

Gaz said:
ahem, scientist have already developed a straw that can purify water, and by the time of the great water rising occuers, they will perfect it and much more. i have read books, AND magazines.

captainff said:
As I said before......evidence is that the water level is the lowest it has ever been. Yes, humanity will be screwed when the inevitable happens, but it has nothing to do with us as a species. It is part of a far larger cycle that we can have no control over.
It has everything to do with us as a species, yes it happens naturaly but we have increased the rate at which this should be happnening, all the evidence is there, you just have to read it.

asdfghjkl said:
ahem, scientist have already developed a straw that can purify water, and by the time of the great water rising occuers, they will perfect it and much more. i have read books, AND magazines.
you clearly know nothing about what we are talking about here.
The ice in the north pole contains no salt, just like any ice. when this ice melts into the oceana there is more water than before and less salt of course. if enough of it melts and poors into the gulf stream, then there will be an ice age! it's more than possible, it is just a matter of time.

Last edited:
to me it doesn't matter if the water rises that high because i can either

A.We can take advantage of it and do what i said in may posts.

B. By then alien contact would be made then...
-Aliens coulda destroyed us all.
-Aliens could have helped us all
- we coulda somehow beat the aliens, and population reduced majorly.

Space flight to another planet to inhabit may be accomplished by then.

asdfghjkl said:
to me it doesn't matter if the water rises that high because i can either

A.We can take advantage of it and do what i said in may posts.

B. By then alien contact would be made then...
-Aliens coulda destroyed us all.
-Aliens could have helped us all
- we coulda somehow beat the aliens, and population reduced majorly.

Space flight to another planet to inhabit may be accomplished by then.
you have no idea, if greenland melts, or if west antartica melts. 100's of millions of people will die, 100's of millions of people will become refugees.

captainff said:

That is clearly incorrect IMO. The rate at which Greenland/Antarctica is melting increases as green house gas concentration increases due to an increase in temperature. They may be low now but once more melting takes place the water must go somewhere, it dosen't just disappear, hence the sea levels must rise. Unfortunately melting ice has a catalytic effect because it reduces the amount of ice to reflect light and hence heat radiation. Therefor you have more water that absorbs more of the light and hence heats up. This problem will build up until Greenland/Antarctica have significantly melted. As I have already said, this water must go somewhere hence water levels increase.

As Gaz has said we end up with a large amount of fresh water that mucks up the Gulf stream potentially causing another ice age for the Europe region.....

Eagles said:
That is clearly incorrect IMO. The rate at which Greenland/Antarctica is melting increases as green house gas concentration increases due to an increase in temperature. They may be low now but once more melting takes place the water must go somewhere, it dosen't just disappear, hence the sea levels must rise. Unfortunately melting ice has a catalytic effect because it reduces the amount of ice to reflect light and hence heat radiation. Therefor you have more water that absorbs more of the light and hence heats up. This problem will build up until Greenland/Antarctica have significantly melted. As I have already said, this water must go somewhere hence water levels increase.

As Gaz has said we end up with a large amount of fresh water that mucks up the Gulf stream potentially causing another ice age for the Europe region.....

Back to what I said much earlier (bottom of page 2)..........

captainff said:
ANY of you who live near London should get yourselves to the Natural History Museum. Went there myself today. Interesting displays in the 'red zone' about Global Warming. Seems that the sea level now is practically the lowest it has EVER been in the history of the planet (apart from a few 100,000 years about 500 million years ago). So........ the sea level is DUE to rise in geological terms.

To say that this period of warming is purely as a result of humanity seems to be utter garbage as to the best of my limited knowledge, the last time the earth had global warming there were no cars or aeroplanes around. You decide. Go see the exhibit. Especially this

I don't disagree that the impact of water levels rising will be huge. I don't disagree that dumping fresh water in the gulf stream will shut it down. I don't disagree about any of the potentially disasterous effects of global warming......only the causes of them.

Gaz said:
you have no idea, if greenland melts, or if west antartica melts. 100's of millions of people will die, 100's of millions of people will become refugees.
Population control...plus they'd go to a better place. And refugees?, from what. Get on mountains and live a good life, all thier is too it.

asdfghjkl said:
Population control...plus they'd go to a better place. And refugees?, from what. Get on mountains and live a good life, all thier is too it.

If Greenland have to evacuate then they would probably go to their ruling country, Denmark, which is considerably smaller, and some people don't even speak danish, there is a language on Greenland that some people on acquire.

It is pathetic that you say they can all just go and live on a hill when it isn't that simple, what country do these people belong to, are they now classed as immigrants? How will they learn their language?

Another thing, what country would evacuate them to a safer place? Because I certainly don't see America getting up off their ass and performing for the good of people, the UK doesn't have the facilities or materials, well, it doesn't have anything really... America left the victims of poor hurricane Katrina and it still isn't fixed, who else will dot hat job? Bono? I don't think so.

Well, the ice caps melting/global warming are already starting to affect various ecosystems. I don't know if any of you have heard about the great barrier reef being bleached by rising water temperatures. And if it continues by 2050 it will be gone, and that area sustains like half of all the ocean life.

It is also, IMO, quite ignorant to say that humans as a whole haven't contributed to the onset of what is going on. The Billions of cars in the world, factories, airplanes, and what have you constantly spewing gases into the air are like a giant magnifying glass. They gas has no where to go but rest in our atmosphere and is intensifying the uv heat from the sun. The industrial revolution, could have been the worst thing that has happened to us.

and a nice side note - anyone notice the now craze for alternative fuels for cars? ethanol, hydrogen, bio-diesel. Cars originally weren't designed with gasoline in mind. They were originally designed to run on peanut oil, and now after a century of screwing ourselves over, and fighting wars for oil, and destroying our environment. We are just realizing that the original way cars were supposed to be used, is actually the right way!

convert to bio-diesel!!!

Frogger said:
If Greenland have to evacuate then they would probably go to their ruling country, Denmark, which is considerably smaller, and some people don't even speak danish, there is a language on Greenland that some people on acquire.

It is pathetic that you say they can all just go and live on a hill when it isn't that simple, what country do these people belong to, are they now classed as immigrants? How will they learn their language?

Another thing, what country would evacuate them to a safer place? Because I certainly don't see America getting up off their ass and performing for the good of people, the UK doesn't have the facilities or materials, well, it doesn't have anything really... America left the victims of poor hurricane Katrina and it still isn't fixed, who else will dot hat job? Bono? I don't think so.
Your right with the fat ass america thing, millions of ppl over weight, tons of them dont care of others, i would would know, i live where they're EVERYWHERE.

Back