Not User Friendly!!!

Paralex said:
802.11g is basically a + b put together.

Not really,
802.11a operates at 5Ghz vs the 2.4ghz b/g operate on. This means is gets much less interference from other devices like cordless phones, but also means it has shorter range (higher frequencies are more easily blocked/absorbed). 802.11a does have the speed boost from 802.11g though, 54mbps rather then 11.

Adding g to the wii would not have sped much of anything up, as even 11mbps of the b is faster then the vast majority of users internet connections. (Cable/DSL is usually 1.5 to 10 mbps)

To the original poster, what brand/model is the router.
On linksys models, the setting would be:
-"Wireless" tab at the top
-"Basic Wireless Settings" under that
-"Wireless Network Mode:", make sure it is on "Mixed" and save the settings.

Other brands I'd have to look up.

Last edited:
I would advise getting it connected first with a basic connection. No encryption, make sure you are broadcasting your ssid, and disable Mac address filtering. After you get a good stable connection then you can start adding all the "protection", one layer at a time, verify your connection after each step. FYI, I have my router set to "G" only and it works fine.

I disagree with this. All routers/AP claims 11mbps for b. But I really doubt you even get 6mbps throughput for b.

GreenEnvy said:
Not really,

Adding g to the wii would not have sped much of anything up, as even 11mbps of the b is faster then the vast majority of users internet connections. (Cable/DSL is usually 1.5 to 10 mbps)

My Wii wouldn't connect at first to my linksys wrt54g. I turned off the WPA encryption and it connected fine. I'll try turning encryption back on today and see if it's ok.

domkstaa said:
I disagree with this. All routers/AP claims 11mbps for b. But I really doubt you even get 6mbps throughput for b.

11mbps is the maximum data rate. Due to overheads on the CSMA/CA protocol the maximum data rate for TCP is around 6mbps and 7mbps on UDP.

gbesta said:
11mbps is the maximum data rate. Due to overheads on the CSMA/CA protocol the maximum data rate for TCP is around 6mbps and 7mbps on UDP.

True, but even then it won't affect your gaming experience(ie ping times), and it won't likely affect downloading Nintendo content to the wii either, as I doubt Nintendo pushes out content that fast.

Websites generally load just at fast at 2mb as they do at 10mb, it's mainly downloading large files that benefit from increased bandwidth. So if you were downloading a big file and you have 10mb cable, it would affect it. or if you copy a file from one PC on your network to the wii, or vise vera.

well im suprised nobody has said this(from what i have read, but try changing the channel on your router(default is 6) change to 1 or 11, this is what fixed my problem

xxwiiwiifanxx said:
well im suprised nobody has said this(from what i have read, but try changing the channel on your router(default is 6) change to 1 or 11, this is what fixed my problem

Same here, ch6 was the default on my d-link router and the Wii couldn't connect with the same error. After changing it to ch11, it worked like a charm. Since everyone's default ch is 6, there could be a lot of interference depending on how many people have wireless in your area.

GreenEnvy said:
True, but even then it won't affect your gaming experience(ie ping times), and it won't likely affect downloading Nintendo content to the wii either, as I doubt Nintendo pushes out content that fast.

Websites generally load just at fast at 2mb as they do at 10mb, it's mainly downloading large files that benefit from increased bandwidth. So if you were downloading a big file and you have 10mb cable, it would affect it. or if you copy a file from one PC on your network to the wii, or vise vera.

Not sure how that links in with my post. domkstaa was saying AP's tout themselves as 11mbps but thinks they are more like 6mbps. I was just pointing out he is correct and the cause of it.

xxwiiwiifanxx said:

Yep, that worked for me too. It took about 5 minutes of research and 30 seconds of router configuration to get my Wii to connect to the internet.

Back