Overheard at the Dr.'s Office

samXcor3 said:
hahah! That's like paris hilton trying to copyright "That's hot."

That's actually an interesting part of copyright and trademark law. Trump tried the same thing with 'You're Fired' - it crosses over into the fair use language in copyright laws.

Usually if a simple common word or phrase is copyrighted, it's within a specific usage context - i.e., the word time. While it can be used with reasonable freedom, you'd find yourself pinched if you tried to start a magazine called Time!

samXcor3 said:
Also, true story: Did you know the actual specific shade of red on coke bottles is copyrighted? Yes, apparently you can copyright colors.

Yes, and the brand managers of those companies are psychotic about it. We designed/developed the Tropicana website several years ago, and the specific orange in the usage relating to juice/beverage products was trademarked - we had the folks up for a comp review, and one of my designers had strayed from the orange just a few values and one of the BM's picked up on it right off (and got all cranky about it :lol: ).

A few weeks earlier we almost had a catastrophic mishap with a fridge filled with Minute Maid :crazy:

*Gymnast* said:
lol! he is just now trying 2 sue them! he should sue the video game manufacturs while hes at it.
people these days......

I was thinking the same thing. That movie has been out since '72. Why has he just now thought of filing a lawsuit?

And as for the color thing; that's just insane. I wonder if Skittles could copyright the rainbow? Then everybody would be screwed. :lol:

RiddleN said:
And as for the color thing; that's just insane. I wonder if Skittles could copyright the rainbow? Then everybody would be screwed. :lol:

LOL. I can actually see that happening.:lol:

That's a good story by the way.

Haha, people these days. But it's like tomorrow morning:
NewsHeadlines - Man sues Paramont for using the name "The Godfather."

That would definitely shut us up haha.

SHW said:
Haha, people these days. But it's like tomorrow morning:
NewsHeadlines - Man sues Paramont for using the name "The Godfather."

That would definitely shut us up haha.

:lol:

me while reading the newspaper said:
"Hahaha--
Oh, that's not funny.
That's retarded!!"

The lengths people will go these days to get money.

If there is any lawyer dumb enough to take his case, they deserve to both lose money. I hate frivolous lawsuits, they're a waste of time, and money.

Phone calls in waiting rooms FTL.

Back