Overprotective parents?

the_random

WiiChat Member
Apr 15, 2009
This is my situation. Theres is a girls b'day party. She is turning 17. I know her very well. I know all the people who are going to the party. Her parent is going to be there.

My parents dont know the girl or the people going. I am 17. They wont let me sleep over.

Overprotective? thoughts?

hahaha, as far as I know, the chances of your parents letting you sleep over at a girl's house at that age are very close to zero, unless you have very liberal parents. Or unless they know the girl's family from many years.

Overprotective would be them going with you or not letting you go at all to the party. Or spying on you from the driveway outside, etc.

Yeah that's not over protective, that's common sense. Whether you try anything or not, we all know you're at least thinking about it.

Plus, guys never sleep over at a sleepover, that's just... odd.

I'd say it is overprotective, but then again I am very liberal (actually I'm more libertarian than liberal, but that's for another thread...). It's not surprising though. And even if your parents let you do it, I can't imagine too many parents letting a boy sleep over with their 17 year old daughter.

[strike]Pics or GTFO[/strike]

I'm with Napalm on this, I think while it is a little over protective it's still the norm.

i think its perfectly reasonable. they don't know anything about the place/people. its not unreasonable.

I'd say it is overprotective, but then again I am very liberal (actually I'm more libertarian than liberal, but that's for another thread...). It's not surprising though. And even if your parents let you do it, I can't imagine too many parents letting a boy sleep over with their 17 year old daughter.

I agree with the quoted post displayed above these words.

This is my situation. Theres is a girls b'day party. She is turning 17. I know her very well. I know all the people who are going to the party. Her parent is going to be there.

My parents dont know the girl or the people going. I am 17. They wont let me sleep over.

Overprotective? thoughts?

Tell them you will phone/text them regularly.
It's all about trust man.
And don't think it's not you that your parents don't trust, it's the people your with.

Eh. This is probably due to your relationship with your parents, not your age. Parents can be overprotective even if you're like, thirty. My grandmother needs all the information on guys my mom goes out with, even if my mother is over 40. It's just the nature of parents, and you'll probably do this too. My mom is worried if I don't text her about me whereabouts, but she doesn't really mind.

It's not overprotective if your parents expect you to go crazy at parties. It's not if they don't know your friends either. They just assume that the worst is going to happen, so you have to convince them that you won't by being respectful to them. Meaning that, I wouldn't whine if they don't let you go. They probably will if you're good to them often. It's called sucking up, master the art of it.

I would have thought the girls parents would be more over protective to be honest, not yours!

It make me wonder what my parents would have done... I never put them in the situation though. And now? Well, they'd be cool with me sleeping over at a guy's house, but... they'd give me the third degree about him! I think I'd prefer NOT to sleep over there. And I think I am more then old enough, but yeah.

In the end I was allowed to sleep over thankfully. I got my parents to trust my judgement and how that i would be reponsible and stuff... i have the worst hangover and a hicky lol sigh.

No harm done.

In the end I was allowed to sleep over thankfully. I got my parents to trust my judgement and how that i would be reponsible and stuff... i have the worst hangover and a hicky lol sigh.

No harm done.
A hicky? :lol: In the end, your parents made the wrong call.

Typically, the girl's parents are usually the overprotective ones.

Odd.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

No harm done.

Well it looks like they weren't just being overprotective.

Back