Owen Wilson hospitalised after 'suicide attempt'

Emos do chose to be depressed.
Humans always have had depression but sense when are there groups of kids that are always depressed and have a stupid look to them so people know.

That's not me saying there arn't people who are validly depressed because of medically reasons but emo is bs.
:ciappa:

Yes non-emo people can be depressed too, that's how it's supposed to be.

surfinrach90 said:
Funny you should say that, look what I just read this morning:

'Two days after being hospitalized for an attempted suicide, Owen Wilson has dropped out of the DreamWorks' ensemble comedy Tropic Thunder, reports Variety.'

I'm actually very gutted, this sounded like a real good film.

'It is unclear whether Wilson's role would be recast or eliminated from the comedy, which revolves around a group of actors shooting a big-budget war movie who are forced to become the soldiers they are portraying.'

It also stars Jack Black!

Linkage

Yeah, the film is shaping up good I have heard but I am just curious over his role and whats going to happen.msn blockage ftw

StevenNevets said:
Emos do chose to be depressed.
Humans always have had depression but sense when are there groups of kids that are always depressed and have a stupid look to them so people know.
Emoes only act depressed for 1 of 2 reasons, 1. They think it's cool, or 2. They want attention/sympathy.

And acting depressed is different to being depressed. If Emoes really were depressed long term, then greater symptoms would show, like lack of appetite and insomnia, and lack of attention to appearance.

That's not me saying there arn't people who are validly depressed because of medically reasons but emo is bs.
Indeed, depression is an illness that people live with, rather than die from. Also, actually depressed people don't boast about it.

Yes non-emo people can be depressed too, that's how it's supposed to be.
Indeed. Heck, there's so many forms of depression, if Emoes were truely depressed, they wouldn't all behave the same.

(reply to Surfinrach)
Variety is also the magazine that gave Metroid a bad review, saying it was "more tedious than epic" and that it wasn't Halo.

...Just thought you should know.

Last edited:
Squall7 said:
Ness - you obviously don't know anything about depression.

Depression can be caused at any time. It's unclear as to why all depression happens, and it's also unclear the cause of it.

Sometimes mental illnesses (or susceptability to them) is a genetic factor. Sometimes it seems a bit of both, with an event sparking mental illnesses off (but there needed to be a level of susceptability to begin with).

Other theories may indicate a lack of specific hormones such as endorphins, but whether this is a cause or effect is still not fully understood.

In essence, people don't choose to be depressed. Why would anyone ever choose it if they could? As such, it's something that has happened to him, and isn't neutralised by money or sexual prowess.

Once again, I hope he makes a full recovery.

i never said i knew anything, all i said is i never been depressed (and you thik with money and sexual prowess you could avoid being depressed, ie-a midlife crisis!)... still as far as i'm concerned, depression is as much as a choice aswell as an 'illness'. Sure, you may be sad and that cant be helped, to some extent, but you gotta make the decision to want to kill yourself. if you ask me the best cure for depression=gettin pissed with all the boys and havin a laugh, killing yourself is just stupid, bottom line.

Ness said:
i never said i knew anything, all i said is i never been depressed (and you thik with money and sexual prowess you could avoid being depressed, ie-a midlife crisis!)... still as far as i'm concerned, depression is as much as a choice aswell as an 'illness'. Sure, you may be sad and that cant be helped, to some extent, but you gotta make the decision to want to kill yourself. if you ask me the best cure for depression=gettin pissed with all the boys and havin a laugh, killing yourself is just stupid, bottom line.
Interesting, first you say you don't know anything about depression, followed by some unsympathetic value judgements. Surely you don't actually think that getting pissed is the answer? And no. People do not choose to become depressed.

Oh, and a midlife crisis is very different. In a midlife crisis, you generally make radical choices in your life, and not the kind that involves suicide. More like buying a mercedes when you're desperately trying to pay off a £30,000 credit card bill.

Last edited:
Cpt.McCloud said:
What the feck?

Money can't buy happiness, yes some women want him but have you ever lost the person you love the most?

A dumb moment...:wtf:

This is gonna mean tropic thunder is going to be delayed:(

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. i never said anything about money ever buys happiness. A poor man is unhappy already because he has no money but the lost of someone is double. Now i don't see every poor man who lost someone dear to him killing themselves. I like owen but if thats the case he needs to grow up and understand death is apart of life. You want to take your life because someone else died, come on dude how smart is that and it sounds like you are into that type of stuff which is immature to indulge that type of thing.

The whole point is that's apart of being a man if you can't deal with your loses then you are not a man. Life goes on. dude i dont appreciate your comment as if i didnt know. Yes he had a dumb moment because he tried to kill himself. My first post was more of a joke that was the reason i place lmao(laughing my a** off) at the end of my statement.

Last edited:
hotpotato78 said:
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. i never said anything about money ever buys happiness. A poor man is unhappy already because he has no money but the lost of someone is double. Now i don't see every poor man who lost someone dear to him killing themselves. I like owen but if thats the case he needs to grow up and understand death is apart of life. You want to take your life because someone else died, come on dude how smart is that and it sounds like you are into that type of stuff which is immature to indulge that type of thing.

The whole point is that's apart of being a man if you can't deal with your loses then you are not a man. Life goes on. dude i dont appreciate your comment as if i didnt know. Yes he had a dumb moment because he tried to kill himself. My first post was more of a joke that was the reason i place lmao(laughing my a** off) at the end of my statement.

No one close to him died, that we know of.

And at the statement why would he do it when he had all kinds of money and women wanting him.

squall- i dont think you even read my post properly..i understand that depression is caused by different emotional and mental reasons that psychologists still dont entirely understand themsleves, and i understand that one does not choose to be depressed, it is like getting hurt and feeling the pain- you dont choose to feel it but its there. What i was trying to say was that you choose to commit suicide and that i dont get how some one can just throw their lives away..

It's sad to hear that someone just tried to kill himself

But he's such a terrible actor. Think about it.....All of his movies are funny because of someone else. If Vince Vaughn wasn't in Wedding Crashers that movie would have sucked. If it wasn't for his co-actors and the people who wrote the movies he wouldn't be funny at all.

whatever

i have to disagree with you there partner........ everybody brings their own flavor to it and he does that..... he was very funny in a night at the museum. But he is better when he has help but he is funny nonetheless. and what does being funny have to do with acting? its about the right emotions and feelings for every situation not jokes.

I take it you've never done any kind of acting. Being funny has everything to do with acting. Even when your just doing stand-up comedy you're still acting.

Ever hear of things like Comedic timing?

It's all about the delivery of lines, the timing (gaps, stall, dramatic pause) choice of facial expressions, inflection, articulation (kinda the same as inflection). There is a big differnece between telling jokes and being genuinely funny.

Get what i mean?

hotpotato78 said:
and what does being funny have to do with acting? its about the right emotions and feelings for every situation not jokes.

now that i read that you do get what i mean. In that sentence you made a point then disproved it. Displaying emotions and feelings is acting. you can have writers give you the best jokes, but if you can't deliver them it's not gonna be funny.

Last edited:
I think you'll find many people think Owen Wilson is funny.

He has been great in so many movies.

Zoolander, Starsky and Hutch, Meet the Parents/Fockers and The Royal Tenenbaums, to name a few.

You can believe what you like and I am not trying to change your views but now is not the time to be critical of him.

Has anyone else noticed how a lot of celebrities seem to go to periods of something similar to what Owen Wilson is going through at the moment?

Robin Williams has battled with alcoholism.
Britney Spears has lost the plot.
Winnoa Ryder is a kleptomaniac.
Michael Jackson has also lost the plot.
Kate Moss thought drugs were cool.
Amy Winehouse also seems to have a drug problem.
Mel Gibson has a drink problem.

This is discounting all those celebrity suicide attempts that have happened or succeeded over the years.

I get the feeling that money and fame really doesn't lead to a happy life.

Last edited:
Ness said:
squall- i dont think you even read my post properly..i understand that depression is caused by different emotional and mental reasons that psychologists still dont entirely understand themsleves, and i understand that one does not choose to be depressed, it is like getting hurt and feeling the pain- you dont choose to feel it but its there. What i was trying to say was that you choose to commit suicide and that i dont get how some one can just throw their lives away..
Yes, but it's an emotional and altered state of mind. Just like when you get angry and enraged, your thought processes differ from when you're okay. It goes the other way, where if you're sad or depressed (the extreme), then you begin to make decisions that you wouldn't normally take. For example, when you get hungry, you eat. In depression, you wouldn't eat.

So in essence, depression is a different state of mind which doesn't have those "normal" decisions, and thus taking your own like in a depressed state isn't the same as making a decision in real life to take your own life.

When you're in a depressed state, the world around you seems harsh and painful. Suicide may begin to seem like an option to get away from the pain. Much like those people with terminal cancer, who know that their condition will only get worse, some of them ask for help in their suicide.

Oh, and to everyone else: Ensamble acting seems like Owen Wilson's speciality. This does not mean that he's a bad actor, it only means that he reflects others' talents well. If you think about it, most non-stand up comedians are the same - Ben Stiller is almost always with Owen Wilson or Vince Vaughn. Heck, even when he's not, he's with another actor. You think that 1 man comedy films work all the time? There's few people that can pull it off by themselves, and the level of talent isn't based on that, it's based on how YOU perform at all. A bad actor would mess up even with so many other talented actors around. In essence, actors feed of each other to keep them sutured into the scene.

Last edited:
yeh squall, you seem to know wat your talkin about and wat your sayin makes complete sense, its sad to hear about it all the same, people shouldn't have to go through **** like this, but i suppose sometimes its just unavoidable..

Back