Pro Evolution 2008, reviews?

waxen

WiiChat Member
Aug 1, 2007
Hamilton,ON, Canada
Wii Online Code
6011-6618-7899-8426
I noticed that PES just came out within the last week. Have read some reviews on it and looks like it's pretty decent. Anyone out there who has the PES '08 Wii that can give their review on it. I see that it's only selling for $40 which is about $10 cheaper than any new title that comes out. Might be worthwhile to buy it.
Thanks

If you are a big football (soccer) fan, I think you will like it a lot. I just got it, and the learning curve is VERY steep. It is so unlike any sports game I've ever played.

Offensively, the game is great, with tactical options galore. Defense is a struggle so far, but I think that takes longer to get used to.

I think the longer I play it, I will enjoy it more and more. You really have complete control over all of your players. One of my biggest frustrations with other soccer games (I've played about every version on the PC - with a focus on PES the last several years) is having stupid computer teammates. Once I completely learn the controlling system, that should not be an issue any more.

A slight complaint I do have is that shooting seems to be "dumbed down." You don't really have much control over shot placement.

All in all, it is much better than FIFA on the WII, and if you like soccer games at all, I would get it. If you're not a big soccer fan, I might skip it because I think it takes someone with a knowledge of the game to fully enjoy the options presented with the control scheme.

It's a great game with great controls. FIFA Wii's motion controls are tacked on, but PES's were created entirely from the ground up with the Wii in mind. Offense is really, really, really fun and realistic, and defense does take a LOT of practice, but eventually you'll get it. You can control the entire time, individual players, anything, in a manner that has never been seen in a football (soccer, yea =P) game ever before. It truly is innovative.

Now, IMO, historically PES/Winning Eleven has been better than FIFA. It's always had deeper controls and more realistic gameplay, and the Wii version keeps all that.

All in all, though the game can be a bit hard to learn at first, practice a few hours and you'll be on your way. The game includes a lot of tutorials for basic and advanced strategies and tactics, so even if you've never touched a football game before, you can learn quickly. For those that know what football is about, it's just a matter of learning the controls.

Forget Mario Strikers, forget FIFA... PES is the way to go for football games, with this Wii version especially interesting.

Finally, in closing, the online is quite smooth (as opposed to FIFA, which I have heard from many sources can be very laggy) and finding random people to play or connecting to friends is easy.

At $40, it should be an easy choice... I bought the game at launch and it's been great.

It sounds and looks really intuative and really fun to play i might trade my FIFA for it. Have to wait and seeme thinks

just going out to buy hope it as good as people say.hopefully get it sussed out and see some of you online later

It is a very good game.

Different to other versions of the PES series. Very hard to get used to but worth the change and time of getting used to.

I just need to learn how to defend :lol:

Back