Probably been asked a thousand times but...

aimbot.cfg

WiiChat Member
Jul 3, 2007
Is there any way for the Wii to pick up a 802.11a signal to wirelessly connect to the internet?

I ask because I've lost my ninty wi-fi dongle in my room, but have acquired a Intel® PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN Access Point which I have fully functioning.

aimbot.cfg said:
Is there any way for the Wii to pick up a 802.11a signal to wirelessly connect to the internet?

I ask because I've lost my ninty wi-fi dongle in my room, but have acquired a Intel® PRO/Wireless 5000 LAN Access Point which I have fully functioning.
i dnt know but ciper will, hes either lurking somewhere or hes not on, im sure hell get round to ansering though

I don't think this question has been asked before.
And i think as long is it sends out a wireless signal and your wii is somewhat nearby you can connect to it.

ciper said:
No unfortunately. 802.11a is in the 5ghz range. Its FAR better than b/g but the Wii is B only
lol see i told ya didnt I :p lol cheers ciper

ciper said:
No unfortunately. 802.11a is in the 5ghz range. Its FAR better than b/g but the Wii is B only.

eh?

donchya mean b & g mr. ciper? ;)

xbox 360 is the only console which supports 802.11a....and a mighty fine
protocol for media streaming it is too.

the only problem with 802.11a is it's relative lack of "penetration" compared to
802.11b/g...it simply will not sustain satisfactory data rates over distance.

for wireless gaming, stick with 802.11g (not that you have much choice), or
if you can stomach cabling, go for ethernet for reliable speed and security.

Is using 802.11a modulation still happening in europe? Because here in the U.S. we are getting ready for 802.11n.

vagrant said:
Is using 802.11a modulation still happening in europe? Because here in the U.S. we are getting ready for 802.11n.

nah, not really. 802.11a is as rare as rocking horse ****.

802.11n and apparently a few others (when finalised) will be the de-facto
wifi standard.

when i used 802.11a for my 360, it was great not having interference from
other wifi users.

unfortunately, with the huge uptake of Sky's cheap broadband, the 802.11g
(2.4Ghz) band is now looking seriously congested. you only have to do a quick
site scan now to reveal at least 2 or 3 "new" Sky users in your vicinity.

Lunatix said:
I don't think this question has been asked before.
And i think as long is it sends out a wireless signal and your wii is somewhat nearby you can connect to it.

no thats not right. It only takes 802.11b

I guess here there isn't really any wireless signal providers. We have fiber going to almost every house courtesy of the city.

I know that Nintendo sites say that the Wii supports B/G routers but if you configure the AP to be G only the Wii can't connect.

I swear I also read that the chip used was B only but dont take that as a fact until I can track it down.

I know that Nintendo sites say that the Wii supports B/G routers but if you configure the AP to be G only the Wii can't connect.

strange.

i'm pretty sure my router is set for "g" only....i've got to add another device
tonight so i'll check and report back.

Back