Problem getting my Wavebird controller to sync with Wii

BadBanshee

WiiChat Member
Feb 9, 2012
Reading, UK
I'm using new AA batteries inserted correctly.

Radio frequencies match, and I've tried all 16 channels.

I've tried putting the controller in the 1st player slot, didn't work. Then I connected Wii mote as 1st player whilst Wavebird was still in 1st player slot, and the Wii mote wouldn't work either (so the Wii registers the Wavebird somewhat) and I've tried putting Wavebird in 2nd player slot whilst using Wii mote in 1st player to see if I could start a multiplayer game. It worked for a few seconds on 3; controls we're skippy (not smooth) then froze completely. Tried all other channels; didn't work. Returned to 3; didn't work. I've only tried it on Goldeneye but it doesn't look like a problem with the software. Gamecube controllers are compatible with this game.

To begin with, the Receiver was flashing abruptly. When I kept the Wavebird still it wouldn't light up. When I moved it around in the air, and the receiver would start flashing inconsistently. After toying with this for a good 20 minutes, the receiver doesn't flash at all anymore.

I've tried restarting the Wii whilst Wavebird is on and tried restarting Wii with Wavebird off and then turning on after game has loaded.

All this experimentation occuring with the Wavebird and receiver only a couple of feet away from each other.

Am I missing something fundamental here or is this just a faulty Wavebird?

EDIT: Also, my Wii has the product key RVL, not RVK, so this Wii should be compatible with GC games and accessories.

Back