Problem w/ Composite video

amdintel32

WiiChat Member
Jul 16, 2011
Here are the ports for the jacks:
0716011052.jpg

When I plugged in the Gamecube composite wires this way, there is sound, but the display is B&W.
0716011052a.jpg

This way has color, but there's no sound.
0716011053.jpg

How should I plug it in?

Yikes! Pretty hard to get a good view matey as the picture is pretty blury. But if you are using composite, you'll have three RCA leads Red and White which are audio (Left and Right) channels and Yellow (Video). You want to plug these into a "Composite In" port set on the back of your TV. The SAME Composite In. Your three composite leads should clearly indicate which of the 2 leads are the audio ones.

Hope that helps mate! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Actually, your first pic gives me something to work with. Here is a PIC of how you should plug your GC composite leads into your TV. NB - NOTE THAT THEY ALL GO INTO ONLY ONE AV IN POST SET (in this case AV 1).

1.JPG

You'll need, of course, to go into the setup-connections settings and define and name your Gamecube as connected to Component AV1.

Last edited:
Good info there Colin. Yup that should work. If you still get black and white then you may have a bad port. Try another port or device on the same connection to verify.

Yup! Agreed DX - always remember to use good quality cables. Does the GC have an aftermarket Component cable like the Wii? (the difference am is that instead of a yellow single RCA connector, there will be three video cables (R)ed, (G)reen and (B)lue. In addition to the Red and White audio leads. These will plug in to all of the RCA receptors of that AV (component in) of your TV.

Yup, they did make some back some time ago. But correct me if ima wrong, I thank they were only released in US and Japan (which are NTSC regions) for the NTSC models. Because PAL model Gamecubes didn't support progressive scan/480P mode noneoftheless had the "Digital out" port for it. Though later on in the systems lifespan, the NTSC models got rid of them starting with the ones made after 2004...but surpriseingly (US and JP NTSC) games made 2004-onward still had the feature for 480P when played on an older model that has the digital out port w/component cables equipped.

I know Wii conponent cables are sold in the PAL regions because they do 480P, but they WON'T work on the gamecubes digital out port because they have slightly different connectors.

I guess your only options would be to play GC games on the Wii and hope they output 480P or get a Composite to HDMI converter box from Amazon.com, or whoever sells them.

Back