problems of the 21st century

i love technology i have a 3DS and wii for fun :lovewii: 2 laptops 2 desktops a WIFI router so i will aways have the web at home 1 3G modem so i will aways have the web on the go and i'm planing to bye a new wii and turn it into one of those portable wii's that i saw on youtube and i'm oney 12 cool lol :)

ok clearly this individual bumped the thread without understanding the point. considering where he/she was from i would love to hear, or for that matter love to hear what anyone would say about the trials of the 21st century.

yes technology is very very good these days :D glad that a 12 year old can see it but it does not present a problem.

considering enough time has passed since the quake/tsunami i think we could vent our feelings on that. i was recently going over my own personal experiences of 9/11. we had planes diverted to newfoundland that day and we were only too glad and too honored to help people at the time.

Iraq? urrggghh not sure how to really vent that one.

anyway i still think we have the workings for a good off-topic thread. any comments are welcome....

hmm... Everyone wants the Middle Eastern Oil. Must be because they're seen as Democracy's enemy. I mean, you don't see the poorer Capitalist countries getting invaded, even though they are as violent Libya and Iraq.

hmm... Everyone wants the Middle Eastern Oil. Must be because they're seen as Democracy's enemy. I mean, you don't see the poorer Capitalist countries getting invaded, even though they are as violent Libya and Iraq.

see that is what i want- uncensored opinions to get people thinking. i remember having a discussion from a university prof about how straight up USA stopped over Iraq for oil. i'm not saying right or wrong on that but you now have a democratic opinion on public access :thumbsup:

the poorer capitalists? even though Newfoundland is part of Canada, trust me no one else wants it :lol: we have enough problems getting anyone but a white guy warmed up to our culture and trying to understand race relations is just hard considering that about our culture. Canada on a whole rather is VERY interested in race relations, we have NO problem producing our own oil :D so i can't blame the oil itself though a good point on how big a role oil plays in world politics.

what i see the enemy as is the envy mixed with a broken religious opinion and suicidal tendency back up with an organization and weapons. not a particular country/countries or religion/religions. and really stop over for gas in Canada ANYTIME :prrr:

still don't wanna touch Libya with a 50 foot pole yet :( emotionalism still accepted but i'm not ready to say anything on that yet.

Last edited:

drill here in the u.s!

we have to have something in the ground here. we wouldnt rely on their oil. it would create more jobs. might take us out of debt if they tax it just a little more. u.s. has one of the lowest % tax on gasoline. if we can get prices down to $2/gal by drilling here, mark it up to $2.25/gal and put it twards our debt.

sure the price wont go down where it was 12 years ago, but we're pushing $4/gal where i live (over$4.25 in places), anything would help. it's the "tree huggers" (i dont know the technical orginization of them) fault. "you cant drill here because it will ruin everything around it."

who's idea was it to raise the minimum wager here in the u.s.?
you have to pay the kid a the market to pack your bag more per hour which drives up the prices of everything.
i calculated it once. minimum wage went up 25% (from memory) in the past 10 years. there are a lot of people that got no where near that much of a raise in the past 10 years. they just raised the bottom higher and didnt give the people working at the same place much more. middle class is getting screwed. prices of everything are going up and the middle class havent got much of raise.

just my opinion

Glad we're still on topic somehow :D Let me tell a story about Obama as a newfie who understands America as Foriegn Policy:

One of the first things the current U.S. president did is spend taxpayer money to travel the world talking to scientists about "energy solutions." wind power, new applications for electricity, solar power, and I'm sure lots of other fresh ideas were considered. I remember very little of his TV presentation that day but clearly he was open to the idea that gasoline is not neccesarily always the best option.

So then I'm sure the idea was kickin' around before that but allow me to reitirate in my own words:

GASOLINE IS NOT THE ONLY ANSWER

In my neck of the woods I understand how important to my own native land but I hope you can see the merit of the idea. All counter-arguments will be heard. *edit in progress plz wait*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to crush views on outsourcing but again - not a US citizen. however ANY Country trying to build employment rates ...... well certainly HERE we would find giving jobs to foriegners foolhardy. Consider this - though possibly out of date now - but if US considers 10% unemployment rate high Newfoundland has seen that for decades and futhermore some communities over 50% of the population would be seasonal workers or else permanately umemployed. People on welfare are INSULTED to find someone in another country doing a job BETTER DONE in homeland. But I could get in a BIG tiff about that and please excuse the colorful language :D

Last edited:
The problem with gasoline is the same with the alternatives:
Where do we get, for example, electricity for electric cars?
Fossil fuels.

Water dams. They screw up the ecosystem.
Solar power. You need land, so maybe cut down a forest or two.

The problem with gasoline is the same with the alternatives:
1Where do we get, for example, electricity for electric cars?
Fossil fuels.

2Water dams. They screw up the ecosystem.
3Solar power. You need land, so maybe cut down a forest or two.

(numbers added to demostrate point and sorry for changing a post :) )

1 Suppose it is all fair to burn gasoline to learn and develop further applications for electricity? Much better than burning gas to put money in someones pocket.... and of course HUGE MONEY in hybrid cars :lol: but at least put fresh technology solutions forward. I suppose "Power Cars" or "Muscle Cars" trucks etc. are more fun but at least a typical gas consumer might have a better solution than gettin' burned at the pump.

2 You might have something there but you would have to represent the idea better before I tried to counter.

3 ahh I don't understand solar power enough but suppose we could create enough solar power to make some technology obsolete? I think it is possible if not experiment now to eliminate SOME of our electricity bills through a simple panel on the rooves of our houses - and certainly a good scientist in that field could demonstrate that point.

(too much fun back at it later :D )

Last edited:
^^^ This.

Man... Why'd I go and miss this thread in my absence? =/ By my pessimistic philosophy on life and anger towards the infinite and unnecessary problems our fellow man creates, I love discussing what the hell went wrong in this god-forsaken century... Anyone still interested in this?

If so, I'll delve into this: the media. Pardon me if I'm an ignorant **** in saying this and being wrong, but your typical adult's daily routine in a non-3rd world country often involves reading the newspaper, watching the news, and/or reading up online. It's long been obvious that news networks/websites are biased towards a certain sort of viewer, be it by their political views or their personality matching how the program functions.

This sort of "funneling" viewers creates nigh-yellow journalism, a bunch of opinionated bullshit that your viewers wholeheartedly agree with, which is the only reason they watch in the first place. Through this, political standpoints and ignorance to opposite views creates a twisted circle of solidarity among the populous of said developed countries. All this, of course, mostly applies to middle class adults of varying age.

And of course, we need not discuss in as much detail how the media effects children and teenagers... With garbage like Jersey Shore and other trashy, poor moral-encouraging TV shows targeted for such ages, we get a pitiful generation with lackluster morals, which turn into the adults that often at best will be those funneled by the theorem of media news I've summarized above.

My point? The media is worthless, and generally poisons the mind of the public. Be it news, entertainment, whatever. In countries not as free as the commonwealths or the US, the media is often or entirely manipulated, further twisting the public's opinion for the government's, or whatever party's gain. I won't say the media should be utterly destroyed nor replaced (you can't count how many jobs that'd kill, as well as economical junk being hindered horribly), or highly maintained. But hot damn does the media give the world's idiots good reason to spread said idiocy... Something horribly wrong with the 21st century, indeed.

Anyone care to add onto reasons to hate the world of media, or give a counter retort to my statement? =)

Last edited:
I completely agree with you on that point. There are some people who are responsible enough not to be poisoned by the media, but those people are becoming rarer and rarer. Another problem that contributes to this is poor parenting. In this current day and age, you could see young children watching the most inappropriate stuff. Maybe if parents took charge and controlled what their children watched, the youth wouldn't be so poisoned.

there will always be problems in the 21st century, you know someone will get greedy and want more than anyone else way beyond our limits. Its like the system is going to far in our limits and if those limits are reached bad things will happen.

yeah I know I want a thread for opinionated BS that was the whole point :)

Watching the news on Obama's latest speeches saying he willing to go against his own party to reach an agreement on the economy.

And junk like that - any thoughts?

I haven't heard from Obama in what, about 2 months? Last time I checked, he was talking about basketball >_>

Back