Prostitution laws may change in Canada

Here buddy ..

Jonathan Spicer said:
Mon Jul 9, 1:07 PM

TORONTO (Reuters) - As grisly details emerge in a sensational case involving the serial killing of Canadian prostitutes, a group of lawyers is launching a constitutional challenge of the country's prostitution law, seeking to decriminalize the practice to make it safer.

"We call it the world's oldest profession for a reason. It's time to get out of the world of political denial and take care of these people," said Toronto law professor Alan Young, who leads the challenge.

Under the convoluted Canadian law, buying or selling sex is legal, but it is illegal to communicate about it beforehand, live off its avails, or run a private bawdy house.

The group of lawyers and law students -- representing three current and former prostitutes -- will argue in Ontario Superior Court, likely in August, that these three provisions are unconstitutional in that they endanger the lives of sex trade workers.

If you can't talk with a prospective client before entering the client's vehicle, "how do you expect someone on the street to screen a client to know whether it's Robert Pickton or not?" Young said in an interview.

He is referring to the trial of Robert "Willie" Pickton, who has been charged with killing 26 of more than 60 prostitutes who disappeared from the streets of Vancouver, British Columbia, from the early 1990s until 2001. It is the worst serial killing case in Canadian history and includes allegations that Pickton, a pig farmer, butchered his victims.

Young, who has launched similar challenges to Canada's marijuana laws, said the Pickton trial ensures "maximum political mileage."

A scheduling judge will hear preliminary cases this week in the first step of what Young expects to be a legal process that will eventually end at the Supreme Court of Canada. It is unclear how the government will respond to the challenge.

If the challenge is successful in striking down portions of the law, it would decriminalize the practice until new legislation is introduced.

That could bring Canadian law more in line with countries such as Australia, Germany and the Netherlands, where the business and act of prostitution are legal. The United States has a patchwork of laws dealing with prostitution that differs among states, but the practice is generally illegal.

Between 1991 and 2005, there were 116 work-related killings of prostitutes in Canada. Forty-three occurred in the last four years for which statistics are available.

"We've been seeing an escalating murder rate for a couple decades now..." Young said.

"The bigger problem is everyday violence because people have nonsecure settings and no personnel to work with."

I think things like this should already be legal. Same with drugs. I myself avoid both prostitution (if I was old enough :lol: ) and drugs but it dosnt really hurt anyone except the people that willingly do it! So if someone wants get an STD from some prostitute...LET THEM! Its their own foolish mistake!

Joe, you're absolute bonkers. Drugs being illegal affects many people in different ways, take tobacco, second hand smoking, it was never their choice to inhale their smoke.

Actually, prostituation is like hitch-hiking, but there are a lot more risks. People are mainly prostitues to gather money and provide for things (some cases providing for their drug addiction) like family. But ironically, it can result into more children. It's not as much of an issue in England because there are the Welfare State, which enables people to live just above the poverty line. Other countries, nah, it's not the case, sadly people are left for dead.

Although, people still do it for money, there's "traffic light areas" where they all stand in the bus stop. There's a main one outside a hospital, where I was born, my mum said that she'd watch them every night, the other people in the ward knew how long they had been there, most of them would come back safe.

But, a country under the rule of religious laws, like ours, prohibits prostituation. In Catholicism I have been taught that the human body is sacred and sex should only occur for reproduction. So, that's another issue.

Meh, you're never going to stop prostitution.. it will always be there, so if this makes it safer then why not.. you can't stop it so ya know.

lol @ joe... that's the attitude that screws everyone. :lol:

Tell the 6 kids all under 12 who were hit by a drunk driver......grrrr

@ Mr. Resi...It may be the second largest, but when have Canada and Russia been an influence on the world? :/

LOL@ not thinking of better things to argue about. although I'm from the States and should not be talking..

"hm...lowest approval rating Congress has seen in 50 years...know what WE need? A PAY RAISE!"

Joe said:
I think things like this should already be legal. Same with drugs. I myself avoid both prostitution (if I was old enough :lol: ) and drugs but it dosnt really hurt anyone except the people that willingly do it! So if someone wants get an STD from some prostitute...LET THEM! Its their own foolish mistake!
Most drugs are legal in canada too :thumbsup:

Damn, u know Canada sounds pretty nice :lol:
I just got to get out of the US, its pretty boring for a person like me.

I government just doesnt care anymore -_-

Theese are the only illeagle drugs in canada.

[edit] Schedule I
Coca (leaves, cocaine, ecgonine, crack)
Ketamine
Methamphetamine
Opioids (heroin, morphine, oxycodone, etc)
Phencyclidine

[edit] Schedule II
Hashish
Cannabis

[edit] Schedule III
Amphetamines (excluding methamphetamine)
Cathinone
DMT
MDMA
LSD
LSA
Methaqualone (Quaaludes)
Methcathinone
Psilocybin
Flunitrazepam (Rohpynol)
GHB

[edit] Schedule IV
Anabolic steroids (testosterone, etc)
Barbiturates
Benzodiazepines

[edit] Schedule V
Propylhexedrine

And most of those are legal with persription, o and mescaline(?) is the active ingrediant in peote, put smoking peyote is legal! Just the mescaline powder is illeagle.

Last edited:
Its True it will never go away so if eanything..make it safer for the whores that do it everyday.

Brawny said:
lol @ joe... that's the attitude that screws everyone. :lol:

Tell the 6 kids all under 12 who were hit by a drunk driver......grrrr

@ Mr. Resi...It may be the second largest, but when have Canada and Russia been an influence on the world? :/

LOL@ not thinking of better things to argue about. although I'm from the States and should not be talking..

"hm...lowest approval rating Congress has seen in 50 years...know what WE need? A PAY RAISE!"

Maybe canada hasn't influenced, but come on ye olde soviet, russia do influence, well did, although recent events show they still do.

Back