Question for new incoming students/freshmen

CCScandalus said:
you can gamble at a school sponsored event? or is the poker idea just for fun? just wondering...

so is this gonna be co-ed or all guys?

if it's co-ed, madden tourney = bad idea. it makes karaoke a really good option, though. i like the poker idea, but i'm a big fan of poker.

i organized a thing like this once and we played capture the flag all over campus... it was pretty sweet... everybody loved it. we have a pretty small campus though.
Poker isn't gambling.
gambling is wagering money or something of material value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods.
put in poker you use your maths and psychological skills to read the player for bluffs, and your maths to work out the odds of winning, and you only play if you have a good chance of winning, hence the gambling factor is low.

that is if you know how to play ;)

WTF!? College (university) freshman not being able to drink at a social event?
Someone better spike the punch or something cause that party is sounding LAME. Like a 14 year old birthday party.

(No personal offence intended Chach, I know its not your fault there's no alcohol)

Happy B-day also :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Gaz said:
Poker isn't gambling.
gambling is wagering money or something of material value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods.
put in poker you use your maths and psychological skills to read the player for bluffs, and your maths to work out the odds of winning, and you only play if you have a good chance of winning, hence the gambling factor is low.

that is if you know how to play ;)

yes, i realize this, but most people don't. and he did say the people playing wouldn't really know how to play, therefore = gambling. i play poker to make most of my money, but even i say there is a little gamble involved in it. if i go all in with a set of aces on a non-coordinated flop, there's no promise that i'm not gonna lose all of my money. the odds are very against my opponent, but there's still a chance i lose. sure, in the long run, the good players who calculate their odds and such come out on top, yada yada yada... but a tournament of beginners is gambling. and i just don't see a university sponsoring a poker game.

Hmmm this is kinda tricky, as I'm still yet to arrive to a place which has a fully developed introductory scheme... But this following idea I quite liked, and may prove to be a good starting point for something bigger.

For one of our tutorial groups, on our first day we were organised into groups where we were given a list of things to write about the other members (Where were they from, what have they done [ie: which highschool did they go to, have they been involved in any other education/training/universities?] what are they interested in, what are their hobbies, etc.) After we spent some time doing that we all took turns reading out our little descriptions/bios of our other group members to the class.

I'm not sure if you already have something like this, but I thought it was a really good way to break the ice and make everybody feel a little more comfortable and relaxed.

maybe you shouldnt focus so much on gambling games. Alot of people dont like to gamble, and it could intimisdate some. Catch my drift?

CCScandalus said:
yes, i realize this, but most people don't. and he did say the people playing wouldn't really know how to play, therefore = gambling. i play poker to make most of my money, but even i say there is a little gamble involved in it. if i go all in with a set of aces on a non-coordinated flop, there's no promise that i'm not gonna lose all of my money. the odds are very against my opponent, but there's still a chance i lose. sure, in the long run, the good players who calculate their odds and such come out on top, yada yada yada... but a tournament of beginners is gambling. and i just don't see a university sponsoring a poker game.
Any all-in what ever u have (unless you have the absoulte nuts) is a gamble.

my university sponsors a poker team, who tour the country playing other uni's for cash prizes

like i said before, try not to go down the "gambling" path, or at least offer other non gambling activities. Some may take offense, feel intimidated or simply may not want to gamble.

Back