Real Time Strategy

Bad Polys

Bad Polygons
Jul 25, 2007
New Jersey
I did a search and couldn't find anything so I figured I'd start up a discussion on it...

I'm a huge RTS fan, and in general love strategy games and seeing as how I only own 1 Wii game I figured it might be a good idea to get something new unfortunately there isn't much out right now that seems interesting or good to me so I did a search for upcoming Wii games and to my surprise and dismay I found 1 title, Battalion Wars 2. The game looks great but it isn't really the kind of RTS I've played for so long and by that I mean the birds eye omnipotent RTS game like Age of Empires or Rise of Nations - so I'm wondering do you think that kind of RTS game will ever be on the Wii?

PS: Completely off-topic but has anyone figured out exactly were the Wii stands in terms of processing and graphical power?

Hey and welcome to Wiichat, I really enjoy RTS too, I've played Rise of Nations and it is one of my all time favorite series, but the problem is, like you said, there arn't really any coming out for the wii any time soon. Nintendo has never been big on RTS games, maybe you might see an Age of Empires in the future, but for right now you might want to stick to other systems for good RTS games, like the PC....sorry I couldn't be much help

decently fan myself

well since starcraft came to n64, a gamer can only wish that startcraft 2 will come out for the wii

I doubt any good RTSs will come out for the Wii. The only reason that some 'may' come out is the wiimote would be actually pretty good for controlling them, unlike all the other systems except the PC. Frankly though, if you want good RTSs you'll have to stick with the beige boxes.

I do hope some come out but I just don't think that it will happen.

I never really found the n64 starcraft to be up to par. Theres some things that just work better with a keyboard and mouse. Brawl and SC2 are pretty much the essence of my being.

swoop_ds said:
The only reason that some 'may' come out is the wiimote would be actually pretty good for controlling them...

Thats what I was thinking originally, being able to move the Wiimote around to select and group units and moving the controller across the screen to issue move/attack/defend orders - kinda, sorta like the screens in that movie Minority Report were they move their hands about to move things on the screen around.

It's mostly just wishful thinking - but I think a great RTS game can be made for the Wii it just takes a good development team to pull it off.

No real RTS (See below what i think of BWii) have been announced, but Civilization Revolution, turn-based strategy, has.

Battalion Wars 2 (from the GBA/DS Advance Wars people), aka BWii, is sort of a shooter/strategy hybrid. It doesn't look very satisfying to me either, from an RTS perspective (I'm used to things like CnC), but who knows, you might like it.

Part of the reason I bought a Wii (after sitting out several console generations) was because of how much potential it had to replace PC gaming. It's a great shooter machine (far superior to any dual-analog setup), though developers aren't batting a thousand yet, and it does have great potential as an Strategy machine (my main gaming category as well). The 360 is getting Command and Conquer 3, but it seems like it would be a nightmare to control.

You should check out glovepie at Wiili. If you have a bluetooth adapter, you can set up your Wiimote as a PC controller, and control your RTS games using the wiimote as a mouse. Might give you a little taste of things to come.

Wii Hardware. It's better than a PS2, the same (same overall power, but with different strengths and weaknesses) as an original Xbox, and a distant 3rd in the current gen.

rts revolt

I Say Lets Start A Rts Clan Demanding An Rts Wii Gaming Revolution! Armed With Remotes We Will Storm Nin Headquaters Overthrowing These Kiddie Apoligists. Then We'll Force The Little Japanese People Into Groups Dictating Our Rts Dream Games And Uh ,oh Sorry I,i Better Get Back To My Kirby Game Thanks Bye Bye

Back