resident evil 4 on HD

T

The_Loose_Cannon

the other day....actually it was yesterday to be exact. i went to pick up my copy of RE4. when i walked in to see my buddy behind the counter, i asked him if he had my copy and he went into the back. before he got it for me, he asked if i had HD TV. i said no i didnt. he said good and proceeded to go into the back to get me my game.

after he came out he explained why. he said that the game looks shotty on HD without the right cables. he had to change them inorder to get the picture to look right on HD to play this game.

anyone experience something different? any other games i should know for the future if i do get HDTV? (i know the cables are an obvious give away to change if the picture looks funkey on a good tv)

An HD has such a potentially high resolution, that stretching a non-hd resolution actually degrades the quality.

I havn't had this experience but yeah, the wii isn't HD designed so some games will need the right cables to look good on a HD TV.

well like i said its common sense to change the cables to upgrade the technology but i was wondering if its the same with a lot more games than just with RE4. chu know? :)

also if people are playing it on HD without the proper cables , how does it look?

I'm using the nintendo HD component cables and it looks crappy. Can you tell me what cables your buddy is using.

youre welcome, and im a girl :)

I think every single photo-realistic Wii game will look like **** on HDTVs (especially bigger ones). The low resolution, tons of aliasing fuse on Zelda is so bad it's hardly playable. The art in the game is beutiful but the Wii's limited hardware can degrade it so much...
(Yes it's more then just a pretty picture, having horrible graphics, hardware limiting good graphics can make games unplayable.)

I also played Resident Evil 0 ,I think it was 0, on my 60" hdtv... Looked so bad I just sold it off right away. I might buy RE4 Wii just because it's such a good game and then just play it when I'm at a different house.

The only solution is to play cartooned style games.
Put up with it.
Or perhaps cable order and higher quality ones could help a little but the only big fix would have to be an amazing scaler that works with the Wii.

Last edited:
yes. pretty much every game will look bad if your using a composite cable into a HD tv, or digital tv's in general. get a component cable for digital tv's.

and dont forget to enter into wii settings and tell it to out in the correct resolution, or component will look shoddy too.

The_Loose_Cannon said:
the other day....actually it was yesterday to be exact. i went to pick up my copy of RE4. when i walked in to see my buddy behind the counter, i asked him if he had my copy and he went into the back. before he got it for me, he asked if i had HD TV. i said no i didnt. he said good and proceeded to go into the back to get me my game.

after he came out he explained why. he said that the game looks shotty on HD without the right cables. he had to change them inorder to get the picture to look right on HD to play this game.

anyone experience something different? any other games i should know for the future if i do get HDTV? (i know the cables are an obvious give away to change if the picture looks funkey on a good tv)
This is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread about RE4 looking crappy.

All the gamecube generation games are meant to be played in CRT not HDTV and they look better in CRT.

In fact, wii version of RE4 looks worse than GC version because they stretched 4:3 ratio of GC version and make it fit in widescreen. Wii version doesn't support 16:9 widescreen, all they did was stretching the 4:3 GC version thus showing much less resolution in much bigger TV.

GC version also suffered the crappy prograssive scan and wii version brought the exact problem with it. You will see many vertical lines across the screen. This is why GC users stopped using 480p and went back to 480i when they play RE4.

Back