router password? its not admin

stuckshut said:
Not true. I just tested this. You can enter a password. Nothing more and nothing less.

by "setup usernames" i meant you can set up the admin user name with whatever password you want.

vagrant said:
by "setup usernames" i meant you can set up the admin user name with whatever password you want.

Well, okay. But they still don't use admin as the username. If I point my browser at the web interface I can type literally anything I want into the username field. As long as the password is correct I will be logged in. They simply don't use usernames.

stuckshut said:
Well, okay. But they still don't use admin as the username. If I point my browser at the web interface I can type literally anything I want into the username field. As long as the password is correct I will be logged in. They simply don't use usernames.

It does, it just logs in with the username admin no matter what.

vagrant said:
It does, it just logs in with the username admin no matter what.

Well then let's call it root. I'll concede to that since most of them (barring only the V.5's) run a very stripped down linux kernel.

I have a WRT54GL (only real difference is Linux instead of VxWorks, and some better hardware)..

Just tried logging into 192.168.0.1 with the WRONG username (tried blank and random characters), and right password, failed.

"They simply don't use usernames." <- Bullshit right there.

Tried logging in with just admin, failure.

"It does, it just logs in with the username admin no matter what." <- Sure it does.

Tried it again, same password, but this time the correct username, and correct password, works.

"Well then let's call it root. I'll concede to that since most of them (barring only the V.5's) run a very stripped down linux kernel."

As far as I know, the WRT54G models do not run on Linux. They run on VxWorks. Read this: http://www.wifinetnews.com/archives/006101.html

Back