Satellite And the WII

lordmat0 said:
I mean that the connection on the wii.
You know that on the wii you can set up to 3 differnet connections, did you put the wireless access point on number 1? since when mine was on number 2 i could do everything except going on the wii shop channel.

I'm using the Wii's built in wireless to connect wirelessly to my router. My PC, which has a satellite modem connected to it via USB, is wired to this same router. So the outbound data path is: Wii -> wireless to router -> wired Ethernet to PC -> wired USB to satellite modem.

MY wireless router is not really doing any routing but is merely an access point to the wired network. My PC is doing the actual routing to the satellite modem and the Internet.

There doesn't appear to be a wireless problem since the Wii works without trouble online EXCEPT for the Shop Channel, which has never worked. As a matter of fact, there are no error messages; the Wii simply gets stuck while trying. I've let it try for 10 hours. The only way to stop the attempt is to hold the power switch in for 5 seconds and turn it off.

I wonder what experience others have had with the DW7000 satellite modem, which uses an Ethernet connection rather than the USB DW4000 that I have.

ka3ak said:
I'm using the Wii's built in wireless to connect wirelessly to my router. My PC, which has a satellite modem connected to it via USB, is wired to this same router. So the outbound data path is: Wii -> wireless to router -> wired Ethernet to PC -> wired USB to satellite modem.

MY wireless router is not really doing any routing but is merely an access point to the wired network. My PC is doing the actual routing to the satellite modem and the Internet.

There doesn't appear to be a wireless problem since the Wii works without trouble online EXCEPT for the Shop Channel, which has never worked. As a matter of fact, there are no error messages; the Wii simply gets stuck while trying. I've let it try for 10 hours. The only way to stop the attempt is to hold the power switch in for 5 seconds and turn it off.

I wonder what experience others have had with the DW7000 satellite modem, which uses an Ethernet connection rather than the USB DW4000 that I have.

You said earlier you managed to do a packet trace and saw that the Wii simply gives up. I'm wondering if there are any other types of traffic the Wii is generating. Perhaps it's attempting to access a hard coded DNS server or attempting to use some sort of PTPP type connection. Look to see if the Wii is talking using any other protocols other than TCP. Check for UDP, GRE and ICMP. It's entirely possible the Wii is attempting to do something that is blocked by your ISP.

ka3ak said:

I understand what you're saying but you didn't answer my question. The wii acts weridly if the connect you're using isnt number 1. I'm talking about on the wii settings itself.

But i don't think that would mater, you can always try that nintendo wireless thingie.

I have a DW6000 modem with a WRT54GS wireless router, and it will let me connect, but it drops during the updates.

As far as Nintendo saying satellite won't work they are probably wrong. It should work for downloading updates, ect. What it wouldn't work for is playing online games because of the time it takes for the signal to get back and forth from the satellites.

I have a DW6000 modem with a WRT54GS wireless router, and it will let me connect, but it drops during the updates.

Try typing the routers ip adress into your web browser (I believe the default is 192.168.1.1) type in your password when it promts (Default should be admin) then click on the wireless tab, then change wireless channel to 1.

Last edited:
well i changed the channel from 6 to 1. also connected straight to the router instead of the range extender. now i am surfing the web on my wii. :)

Back