SD card and Wii

Lora-T

WiiChat Member
Jan 25, 2008
Hi everyone, I just had a quick question about using an SD card with the Wii. I have a 4G SD HC card that I would like to store some MP3 files on so that I can use them on Endless Ocean. You are supposed to be able to create your own playlist using an SD card and then put it into your Wii and it will play while you are diving on the game. I put a few files onto the SD card (they were WMA format since that is what my Zune uses) and when I put it into the Wii it says it cannot read the card.
Any input? All help will be appreciated!

Ive heard some people say that you can't use the 4gb card in the Wii :yikes:
You might have to pick up a 2gb one Im not positive though.

Lora-T said:
I would like to store some MP3 files on so that I can use them on Endless Ocean.
SunS-HVAC said:
the songs need to be in mp3 format
You don't read well do you?

@squid, you use a converter downloaded from a tool thusly named "The Internet".

I think the Wii only supports up to 2GB cards for the time being.

Hopefully this will be upgraded with future updates.

261311 said:
You don't read well do you?

@squid, you use a converter downloaded from a tool thusly named "The Internet".

I read just fine, thank you. I was just trolling for an unnessecary smartass comment. Thanks! You filled my quota.

Jslck630 said:
u can listen to songs on ur sd card while playing a game?
Only certain games. Excite Truck and Endless Ocean are the only ones I know of.

Okay, I have my files in mp3 format and on sd card. When I go to the "listen to mp3" or "music" (whatever it is in the game) I select my song, click ok, but nothing happens. Help please?

on the wii channel screen put your "finger" over the photochannel .... if it says Version 1.1 then you can't play Mp3 .. you can only play AAC's (or something liek that) if you have verion 1.0 then you should be able to play mp3's...

also if you updated your photo channel recently you most likely have version 1.1

also if you did not update your photo channel and still have version 1.1 you most likely got your wii within a couple of months and in your case you cannot play mp3's only acc's..

also if you updated your photo channel and it is currently version 1.1 you can try to delete your version 1.1 photo channel in the wii menu setup and it may revert back to version 1.0 as the older wii's have version 1.0 of the photo channel in the unerasable part of memory.

Clish said:
on the wii channel screen put your "finger" over the photochannel .... if it says Version 1.1 then you can't play Mp3 .. you can only play AAC's (or something liek that) if you have verion 1.0 then you should be able to play mp3's...

also if you updated your photo channel recently you most likely have version 1.1

also if you did not update your photo channel and still have version 1.1 you most likely got your wii within a couple of months and in your case you cannot play mp3's only acc's..

The change from MP3 to AAC in the Photo Channel ONLY affects the Photo Channel. If you have a game that can play music (such as ExciteTruck), it will continue to work as before.

Up to 2GB SD cards work on all non-HC complant devices (The Wii, older digi-cams, etc.). The newer SDHC spec (2.0) for 4GB and up requires specific support.

*However* a few manufacturers make/made a 4GB that worked with a new non-HC devices - they claimed they were "backwards compatible" but it was sort of a crap shoot. I've read reports of a camera - a D70 I think - work with a 4GB of one brand but not another.

Anyway, I'd stay with SD (<2GB) - heck they're not of much use anyway in a Wii - I took our 2GB card (from the Wii) and put into permanent use in our Nikon :D

Skippy said:
The change from MP3 to AAC in the Photo Channel ONLY affects the Photo Channel. If you have a game that can play music (such as ExciteTruck), it will continue to work as before.

i am not too sure about that one.... unless you are :p caz as far as i know they changed the MP3 playback to ACC because ACC doesn't need a licence to distribute as well as play while mp3 does... which means that even if in game you can play nintendo still has to pay.. which they don't want.

Clish said:
i am not too sure about that one.... unless you are :p caz as far as i know they changed the MP3 playback to ACC because ACC doesn't need a licence to distribute as well as play while mp3 does... which means that even if in game you can play nintendo still has to pay.. which they don't want.

It's ONLY for the photo channel. The Photo Channel is a separate and distinct program just like any VC game you download, any other channels, or any disc-based games.

If a game supports music playback, it's programmed into that game itself. Games that support MP3 have the license fees factored into their pricing.

Back