(see photo) Just got component cable. Did Nintendo need to put it in such a big box?

SoupCamera

WiiChat Member
Nov 20, 2006
The UPS driver just delivered the Nintendo Wii component
video cable. :worship: :worship: :worship:

Not sure why I paid for overnight shipping, since I ordered
it more than 10 days ago. But oh well... :D

I am surprised at how big the box is... see photo below. :)
Not only was the cable's box big, Nintendo of America also
used a LARGE 24x16x10 cardboard box for UPS shipping.
Now, I'm not a tree-hugger, but it seem like a big waste
to over-package something like this... :D :D :D

(may need to click to see larger version)
wiicompboxmediumoy2.jpg

Last edited:
Can I ask what the need for component video cable is when it doesn't support HD? Maybe a dumb question

It supports ED (480p).

That box is huge! Mine shipped last night and I can't wait to get it!!!

Sabin said:
Can I ask what the need for component video cable is when it doesn't support HD? Maybe a dumb question

What? You don't appreciate all the nice colors of the cable?
Red, white, light red, blue, green.... :(

Just kidding... :D

I wasn't planning to order it... but after borrowing one from
my friend and trying it on my front projector, I decided to
order one. It made a real difference in 480p when the
game is projected to 120-inch. Still nowhere near HD, but
every little bit helps! (on my Sony 46" LCD TV upstairs,
the component cable made no difference, 480p and 480i
looked about the same) So, I guess it will depend on the
display device. :)

Inspire said:
That box is huge!

I know..... it seem to contradict the compact design of the Wii...

I just opened up the box. The cable is definitely very high quality, unlike the Nintendo Gamecube component cable that I had. :)

Nice cables! I hope to get those as well.:drool:
Ha, you have the same headphones and iPod that I had; sold the mini and lost the headphones.:sad:
Sabin said:
If you have a TV with component inputs, you will notice a major difference from the picture you see when using the Wii's standard composite cables. I have an Xbox and when I switched, blacks were blacker, colors were more vivid, jaggies were much less visible, etc. Also, if you have a widescreen TV, component cables are the only ones that will give you true 16:9 widescreen and I believe they are also the only cables that give you true Dolby ProLogic II if you have a surround sound system.

Last edited:
My 32" Tube TV has component inputs but does not support 480p. Do you think the cables will help at all?

Great stuff, my component cables have been flagged for delivery on the 9th... whereas all the rest of the order will be arriving a day earlier.

Oh well, guess i can wait an extra day :)

ics said:
My 32" Tube TV has component inputs but does not support 480p. Do you think the cables will help at all?

It will improve the color detail, so you'll probably notice a slightly sharper picture with better color.

Just agreeing with Inspire. I have a 27" tube TV with component inputs and it doesn't support 480p either, but my Xbox games look quite a bit better regardless compared to how they looked with the standard composite cable.

NateTheGreat said:
Nice cables! I hope to get those as well.:drool:
Ha, you have the same headphones and iPod that I had; sold the mini and lost the headphones.:sad:

If you have a TV with component inputs, you will notice a major difference from the picture you see when using the Wii's standard composite cables. I have an Xbox and when I switched, blacks were blacker, colors were more vivid, jaggies were much less visible, etc. Also, if you have a widescreen TV, component cables are the only ones that will give you true 16:9 widescreen and I believe they are also the only cables that give you true Dolby ProLogic II if you have a surround sound system.

Component is video only. It still uses the same crappy av cables for audio.

Remax Realtor said:

I believe you'll need to plug the audio into a Dolby ProLogic II a/v receiver to get the surround sound. I don't know of any TVs that can decode ProLogic II.

:)

Remax Realtor said:
Well, since Wii has one unified audio-video cable, I'm guessing it does both audio and video. I thought I had heard that the component cable was the only one that supported Dolby ProLogic II. Does anyone know?

Back