Setting up wi-fi

Eddy04 said:
In my point of vie the wireless router is the best option.

Not for the OP though. He doesn't have broadband so he doesn't have anything to connect the router to.

He posted that he has a USB cellular modem which has to connect to the USB port on a PC/Laptop.

digler said:
Thanks strommsarnac.

I have put my wirless adapter in Ad Hoc mode and thought I had cracked it. My Wii can see the wireless network but when it tries to connect I get the error code 51030. My laptop does not seem to see the Wii.

Im sure this is possible but I cant seem to get it to work. Are you able to give me a step by step guide?

On your laptop, did you run the ICS setup? Go through the Network Setup Wizard if you haven't.

If you have, and you set the laptop's WiFi adaptor as your Local Network, then you might have to manually configure the Wii's network settings.

Try this. Click Start/Run and type cmd. Then type IPCONFIG /ALL. That'll give you a lot of info. Look for a device with the name of your WiFi adaptor. It'll have IP info similar to IP Address: 192.168.0.1 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0, etc. Your number may differ from above.

Write all that info down. You'll use all that info EXCEPT the IP Address. Take the address you wrote down and add ONE (e.g. 192.168.0.2).

Now, on the Wii. Go to the Internet connection settings and manually enter the info you wrote down (don't forget +1 on the IP Address only). Save those settings. Power down the Wii, wait a few seconds and power it back up. Give it a few seconds and see if you can browse the web.

If you enabled WEP/WPA you'll need to set that also. Oh, don't forget the SSID's also need to match.

I know this is a bit more complicated than some other suggestions, but it's free considering what you have.

Thanks, I will try later when I get home from work.
I did go through the network wizard which, like you said asked for a floppy, I chose not to use. When I restarted and nothing seemed to have changed. I will let you know haow it goes.

digler said:
I
Unfortunately in my area I am unable to get broadband as there are no available ports at the telephone exchange so I am using mobile broadband by my mobile provider via a usb conected unit which is fine for connecting to the internet.
What I want to know is if its possible to use a laptop wireless adaptor and use my laptop as a sort of router or use a LAN adapator and again use my laptop as a 'router'?http://www.three.com.au/cs/ContentS...0837&homeId=1154931041257&subId=1156241342637

They make special wireless routers which accept the PCMCIA cards or USB EVDO and 3G.

Ok Here goes.

Firstly about my hardware - My laptop is a samsung V25 with a pentium 4 2.8ghz 512mb RAM running on XP Home. My wireless adapter is a LINKSYS WPC54G.

Within the wireless adaper software I have configured the adapter in Ad Hoc mode and chosen: obtain network settings(DHCP), WEP with pass key, Authentication open.
My Wii and wireless adapter seem to see and connect to each other and I have been asked to insert the WEP key into the Wii. When it tries a conection test it fails with the error code 51032.

I have tried to set up an ICS with the wizard but still no luck. And just to make things worse when I try to run IPCONFIG /ALL the window flashes up as if it is running but then closes - which is a problem I didnt have yesturday!

Any sugestions?

Thanks

setting up wifi

If your neighborhood phonebox is full then just get DSL w/ VOIP. It would use your same phone hookup and you would be able to Network properly not to mention faster internet.

Digler,

I think I see what's happening. I know I wrote a lot the last time and I think you missed one key point. You need to open a command prompt then type ipconfig /all. Click Start, Click RUN, then type CMD and press enter (I may have left off pressing enter). Then type IPCONFIG /ALL.

What your looking for is if your WiFi has an IP Address. If it does, then follow the previous post.

I guess I need to ask "Why" you have a Linksys WPC54G (PCMCIA card) if you don't have a WiFi router. Do you have a WiFi router? Is it in use for something? Do you have other wireless computers which you need to share files/printers with?

Understand my confusion. Usually the only reason for someone to buy a pcmcia wireless card is because they are going to connect to a wifi router. Since you can't get broadband (dsl/cable/fios,etc.), I don't see why you have the pcmcia card, unless you use it at hotspots like internet cafe's, bookstores, coffee shops, etc. Please help me understand some more.

If you have a wifi router or not, you'll need to manually configure the laptop's network WPC54G network settings. If you have the router, that's where the DHCP (automatic network settings) come from. If not, you'll need to manually set them, or you'll keep getting random settings which will cause your wii to lose connection. I don't think the Wii Wireless adapter for a PC will resolve that.

So, do you have a wifi router? Do that ipconfig /all command and copy the info here so I can see which type of address you have. Look for the line DHCP ENABLED, I'm interested if it's YES or NO. The IP address numbers will tell me what kind of issues you might have.

Its a long story but no I do not have a router. A friend gave me the card as it came free with the router and his laptop was wireless enabled. I did have a router but that was at a previous address and was supplied by my ISP.
Dhcp Enabled.....No
IP Address.........117.102.151.17
Subnet Mask......255.255.255.255
Default Gateway..117.102.151.17
DNS Servers......202.124.84.2
Primary WINS Server..10.11.12.13
Secondary WINS Server..10.11.12.14
Net Bios over Tcpip...Disabled

My Linksys control panel shows a different IP address

Hmm. Are those settings for the Linksys adaptor or the cellular one? I ask because they are "realworld" Internet settings. I mean they are settings one gets when connected to their service provider. They are what a router would get on it's internet connection side, not the local side.

If they really are for the linksys adaptor, you need to change them. Try the following settings, then re-run the network wizard and configure as sharing "this computer connects to the Internet. Other computers connect to the Internet through this computer". Make sure to select the Internet connection as your cellular device.

IP Address.........192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask......255.255.255.0
Default Gateway..192.168.0.1
DNS Servers......192.168.0.1
Primary WINS Server..192.168.0.1
Secondary WINS Server..192.168.0.1

These settings can be configured by accessing the network properties of the Linksys adaptor. Once in there, open TCP/IP properties and set to Manual.

Sorry this is so complicated, not something I expected, but it looks like for some reason someone set your WiFi card to connect to "something".

digler said:
Ok Here goes.

Firstly about my hardware - My laptop is a samsung V25 with a pentium 4 2.8ghz 512mb RAM running on XP Home. My wireless adapter is a LINKSYS WPC54G.

Within the wireless adaper software I have configured the adapter in Ad Hoc mode and chosen: obtain network settings(DHCP), WEP with pass key, Authentication open.
My Wii and wireless adapter seem to see and connect to each other and I have been asked to insert the WEP key into the Wii. When it tries a conection test it fails with the error code 51032.

I have tried to set up an ICS with the wizard but still no luck. And just to make things worse when I try to run IPCONFIG /ALL the window flashes up as if it is running but then closes - which is a problem I didnt have yesturday!

Any sugestions?

Thanks
digler,
you have to run "cmd" first, then when the dos window appears, then type in ipconfig /all

I have tried to manually input the settings for the wireless adapter in windows(use windows to configure my wirless connection) and the linksys software but I cant seem to get them to connect. I can get the wii to see the network but it fails with the error code 51031.The information I get for ipconfig /all is for the mobile broadband and for the wireless adapter(Ethernet adapter wireless network connection)it states Media state.........Media disconnected.
Any Ideas?

digler said:
I have tried to manually input the settings for the wireless adapter in windows(use windows to configure my wirless connection) and the linksys software but I cant seem to get them to connect. I can get the wii to see the network but it fails with the error code 51031.The information I get for ipconfig /all is for the mobile broadband and for the wireless adapter(Ethernet adapter wireless network connection)it states Media state.........Media disconnected.
Any Ideas?

Not sure...It sure has to do with your router now. Is not the wii's problem. This kinda happened to me. My wii had some days connected well. But then my router went crazy with the DHCP server and now the wii don't know which ip address to use even though I decid to use a static ip for the wii. The same error appears to me which means it can't connect. So know you should check your linksys router.

Back