Shooting at Enemies off of the Screen

flimbabulous

WiiChat Member
Oct 8, 2006
Imagine an enemy passing out of sight and still being able to shoot him by pointing your controller where you'd think he'd be in actual 3d space. Imagine running in the opposite direction of an enemy (in game of course) and being able to point your controller behind your back and shoot him. Imagine not having to place a stupid infrared sensor next to your television. This type of gaming could be delivered without the use of such primitive technology.

[Edit: I don't know whether or not you could pull this off with the Nintendo Wii because I still don't know everything about it, but it's certainly possible with existing technologies which I'm pretty sure some of the Nintendo Wii houses. I'm pretty sure the Wii knows where the front of the controller is in relation to the back of it because of the way the bat supposedly acts in Wii Sports. So with that in mind the above gaming scenario is entirely possible with an extra location marker or two.]

Last edited:
sadly i have hurd diffrent. although its a good idea. From what i hurd, You have a inner box and a outer box, Moving the wii remote outside the inner box makes you look in that direction. You can move the wii remote to aim inside the inner box and you wont look around but you can aim. this is at least how red steel and zelda works (with the bow) I do hope they come up with something better though. It prevents faced pace turns but deadly acurit shots within the inner box.

*edit* i see now you were not asking if this is how it was. my mestake

Avais100 said:
yeah but wouldnt u need to be in a specially designed room?

Nope. You could work it out with mathematics and calibrations. You would need an extra sensor or two placed somewhere on the body though to let the system know where the controller was in relation to certain parts of your body.

Last edited:
flimbabulous said:
Nope. You could work it out with mathematics and calibrations. You would need an extra sensor or two placed somewhere on the body though to let the system know where the controller was in relation to certain parts of your body.

Uh, that's entirely false.

The accelerometers act to pinpoint distance in 3D space by the distance, force, and vector that the controller moves.

From these three factors, you can determine where the controller was, where the controller now is, and where(in relation to human kinematics) can the controller now go.

If you start out playing a game sitting down and then stand up, the accelerometers will register an upward vector at the distance between your hand when it was sitting down to the distance it is currently at while standing. Obviously the force is the rate at which these events occur.

lol i understand :p teq guy is awesome thanx for joining the forums :p
kudos to you@!

teqguy said:
Uh, that's entirely false.

The accelerometers act to pinpoint distance in 3D space by the distance, force, and vector that the controller moves.

From these three factors, you can determine where the controller was, where the controller now is, and where(in relation to human kinematics) can the controller now go.

If you start out playing a game sitting down and then stand up, the accelerometers will register an upward vector at the distance between your hand when it was sitting down to the distance it is currently at while standing. Obviously the force is the rate at which these events occur.

Okay, so what exactly are you saying is false?

Last edited:
they did say that tho..mostly all...well yea all fps do the same thing. if u point outside the box/tv, the remote acts like a camera, notcie it in the vids man

NeMeZyZ said:
they did say that tho..mostly all...well yea all fps do the same thing. if u point outside the box/tv, the remote acts like a camera, notcie it in the vids man

No, the remote and sensor bar communicate using IR LEDs. There are 8 in total, so orientation is based on which LEDs you're pointing at.

Okay, so what exactly are you saying is false?

The Wiimote orients itself based on the IR LEDs and Bluetooth. The accelerometers are used to calibrate the Wiimote into 3D space.

When you put the two together, you have a controller that is oriented in relation to the TV, which makes sense... considering you're supposed to be looking at the screen while playing.

Back