So Dongle or Lan adapter.

Inexxa

Nerf warlocks!
May 30, 2007
Darlo'
Hello guys, new here and would like a few things cleared :)

From your own experience what do you use, a dongle or the Lan adapter?

I have an NTL modem with a ethernet socket so I'm guessing the Lan adapter will work just fine.

Which leads me to the next question. Is it better/faster to use the dongle or the Lan adapter.

Any answers would be great. Cheers.

P.s Give Mario Strikers!

instinct says wires are always faster...and alas. They are.

If your wii is close enough, go with the lan.

I agree with Brawny, But if you move your Wii around [Like different TV's in the house] then go Wireless
If your Wii is stationed in one place 99% of the time wire it

My Wii is only 3 foot away from the modem and I'm guessing the wire you get with the lan will most likely be 5 foot.

I'm guessing the dongle can be very useful for when going round mates Lan parties and hooking the dongle into their pc.

http://www.game.co.uk/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=&mid=330955

Was thinking of getting that. I'm guessing you get a wire with it right ? ;)

Erm I guess I'll give you this here rep thing!

Lol. Thats 2 mistakes tonight brawny, Asking for rep and *Cough* sorry bad thoat, talk talk *Cough*

Anyways
That should reach :)

Hah. You don't get if you don't ask!

I guess rep is just E-Peen then?

lol.....if you are gonna take it places...dongle especially. easy setup for multiple comps.

@wiismurf. How much did I put you up by?

Shinji said:
A dongle or LAN adapter is good as long if it is NOT made by Datel.

K, what's wrong with Datel. That's the one I'm using right now.

No problems whatsover, I had a choice to get the official Nintendo or Datel version both were about the same price. Bought the Datel version cause it looks excactly the same and comes with a LAN activity LED and an ethernat cable (which I don't need cause I use CAT5e), the LED is very useful if you need to know if the Wii is sending/reiceving data and for diagnostics...

I see nothing wrong with thrid party products. In fact, my component cable is also third party; same boat different fish. They're Blaze Wii component cables and if you ask me and look online for reviews, most would say they're much better quality and built than the official Nintendo component cables plus they're cheaper too...

If it wern't for thrid party products, I don't think the Wii would be doing as well as it's doing right now. Think, third party games and peripherals when Nintendo has system and peripheral shortage problems...???

Wanna know why the PS2 did so good in sales, three words: Third Party Support!

So just back off dude...

Last edited:
I've got a DATEL LAN adapter and a Nintendo USB dongle.

Despite having wireless in my house I could not no matter how hard I tried to get my DS to communicate externally to the Internet. It was present on the network, being identified by the router with its MAC address and had an IP address assigned to it but it would not connect to the Internet.

I can't believe Nintendo would sell a product that is "wifi compatible" but is so anal about what routers it likes. It just seems to me that they put the cheapest wireless network adapter in their product and pushed it out to the main stream. The fact that it is only compatible with WEP also suggested that the technology used in the DS is several years old and there was no way that I was buying a new wireless router or access point and lowering the security on the WiFi in my house just for a handheld. So I purchased the dongle and I use it for the DS whenever I want to have a game online.

I thought that the Wii would be a different kettle of fish and would be pretty straight forward to set up on the network. Assign it an IP, MAC filter it, add the wifi settings to the console and away we go. Wrong. Even though it is WPA compatible this time, it still won't go online despite being able to ping it on any PC within the network in this house.

I've used a X-Box 360 before in my house to get online and I've had no problems with that at all. In the end I just decided to use the dongle for a bit on the PC until Nintendo or a third party would bring out a LAN adapter. I was getting sick of having to keep my PC on to go online with my Wii, and when Datel brought out their adapter I purchased it.

Just because its third party doesn't mean its rubbish. Ultimately it is only a circuit board and by buying a Nintendo branded one you've just paid three pounds more for a product which a) is exactly the same as the Datel one, b) should have been built into the Wii in the first place. Not everyone wants Wireless consoles Nintendo, some of us know its more trouble than its worth.

It depends what you want though. I know I couldn’t put up with needing my PC on whenever I wanted to use the wireless. The LAN adapter gives me the freedom of not needing the computer on and I can still go around the house by just plugging into a spare port.

Cables, I love em.

Shaker.

Last edited:
Back