So if I get a router....

Mighty Fish

WiiChat Member
May 3, 2007
I'm currently using a Netgear CG814wg v2 cable modem/router. I know a fair bit about computers but networking isn't something I've ever really dealt with before. The CG814 came from Time Warner Cable with the wireless internet package I ordered, we've had it for some time. I've had no real troubles with wireless internet on my laptop, nor any trouble with a direct line to my desktop. But, of course, my Wii refuses to connect to the internet with this device.

I've read around online here, as well as nintendo's support and a couple other places and it seems my best alternative is to simply buy a new router. I usually order my stuff from Newegg, and almost purchased one today but then I realized it had no place for cable input. My question is, if I DO purchase a new router, can I place a line from the current CG814 modem to my new router, or will that subject it to the difficulties I'm having now? IE Can I simply use the current modem/router as a adapter to get the service to my router, or will it inherently take over as the router itself, as it is now.

Am I better off simply buying a non wireless cable modem and then a wireless router separately?

Get an Airport Extreme Base Station..it's the quickest one out in the market. Cable modem is usually slow, I prefer T1-T3+. What you suggested is a good choice to make anyway.

Dont take FR's advice. Get a router that supports the HyperWRT firmware so you can get support from real end users and receive updates even after the manufacturer EOLs the model.

Why are you unable to get the Wii connected to your current router? Have you tried disabling encryption as a test?

I've disabled all security settings on my current router, and tried default settings as well. Neither has worked. Additionally, nintendo says this about my setup:

Wireless Routers/Gateways provided by Internet Service Providers (such as Comcast, Time Warner, Road Runner, Charter, etc.):

The routers listed below are provided to customers by their Internet Service Providers (ISPs). Due to the way the Wii console interacts with these routers' firewalls (sometimes called an SPI firewall), it may not be able to connect online, even when using the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector or the Wii LAN Adapter. If you are able to log in and disable the router's firewall (you may need to get a "super user" password from your ISP), you may be able to get the Wii console connected online. If you use an ISP that prevents the firewall or SPI firewall setting from being adjusted, or if you prefer not to adjust the router's firewall, there is a system update that may resolve the console's ability to connect with Nintendo's servers, enabling the use of some online features.

Please note that not all online features of the Wii console are updated with this system update. Access to the News, Weather and Everybody Votes channels, as well as any channels that utilize the WiiConnect24 feature, may be unaccessible or have limited function with this update. A future Wii console system update is in development that will enable the use of all of the Wii console's online features. Please check back for more information.

To download the system update to your Wii console, you will need to successfully connect your Wii console online. If your current connection through your ISP-provided router is preventing a connection, you will need to find an alternative online connection, such as taking your Wii console to a friend's house where there is a compatible internet connection. (If this option is not available to you, link here for information on other options.) Once you have connected the Wii console online, the system update will download and install. With this update, you should be able to download any future updates with your own internet connection. If after performing this update you are still experiencing problems, visit http://support.nintendo.com for further assistance.

Linksys
WCG200 ver. 2
WCG200-CC
WCG200-CC ver. 2

Netgear
CG814W
CG814WG ver .2
CG814WG

RCA
DCW725

Additionally, I'm not very happy with the current wireless capabilities of this device so wouldn't mind getting a different one anyhow.

Well shoot! I can't believe Nintendo would effectively go against industry standard and send unsolicited data to the Wii while online :/ I havn't heard of other consoles having issues with stateful packet inspection!

Either way I suggest on of the models listed here (not completely up to date) http://www.thibor.co.uk/#downloads

well you could get the usb thing for ur comp that nintendo has its a little thing looks sorta like a usb pen drive and u plug it in and lets u go online using that... i had problems connecting to the internet but i got it working by moving it fairly close umm yeahh i dont know too much about networking soo i cant really help u

I read the document for your router and could find no way to put it into bridged/passive mode to allow you to use your own router :/

If your ISP wants to charge you for a new modem then tell them to screw off and get one on your own. Lots of people upgrade their modem and they never ask for the old model back so you could get a used unit and provide the MAC address to your provider. At worst case I wouldnt mind to sell you my old one for 5$ plus shipping ;)

If you are going to get the GL from newegg make sure its version 1 or 1.1

Thank you Ciper, you are being a great help.

I suppose I will be buying a new router then, I suppose I'll get me a new cable modem as well, I'm afraid that when I ask the cable company for a new modem I might end up having issues with the new one anyhow, but I guess I'll try.

I looked at the details for the GL from newegg and I wasn't able to determine if it was version 1 or 1.1 as I'm not sure what that refers to.

newegg said:
Model
Brand LINKSYS
Model WRT54GL
Spec
Standards IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g
Device Management Web-Based
Security Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) Firewall, Internet Policy
Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA), WEP, Wireless MAC Filtering
WPA/WPA2 WPA
Ports 1 x 10/100M WAN; 4 x 10/100M LAN
LEDs Power, DMZ, WLAN, LAN (1-4), Internet
Buttons Reset, SecureEasySetup
Data Rates up to 54Mbps
Antenna External Antenna
Channels 11 Channels (US, Canada) 13 Channels (Europe)
Transmitted Power 18 dBm
Interface Ethernet Port
VPN support IPSec, L2TP, and PPTP VPN pass-through
Power Input External, 12V DC, 0.5A
Wireless Adapter included No
Dimensions 7.3" x 1.9" x 7.9"
Weight 1.1 lbs.
Temperature 0 to 40°C
Humidity 10% to 85%, Non-Condensing
Features
Features All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, and 54Mbps Wireless-G (802.11g) Access Point
Shares a single Internet connection and other resources with Ethernet wired and Wireless-G and -B devices
Push button setup feature makes wireless configuration secure and simple
High security: TKIP and AES encryption, wireless MAC address filtering, powerful SPI firewall
Packaging
Package Contents WRT54GL
Resource Disk
Power Adapter
RJ45 Cable

Send an email to NewEgg and ask them what version of the router it is. The revision/version number is listed on the bottom right near the model number. I say to get 1 or 1.1 because then you can use third party firmwares which let you change all sorts of cool options including the ability to increase the transmitter power!

It doesnt hurt to ask them for a new one. Say that you want a regular cable modem so that you can use your own router with it. In reality your best place to ask for help is on the DSLReports forums. There are plenty of knowledgeable members including some that work for your ISP!

Back