Some information please!!

P4n7h3r

Elite Pwner
Dec 31, 2007
Aldershot
Right ive just ordered my Wii as they were sold out for a long time b4 x-mas. Just some questions as this machine seems so different from my ps3.

1. Do i need a memo card (SD etc) or is there a int HDD?

2. To take it online..can i use Ethernet or is it wifi only?

3. To play online i need to buy a card? Why and what is this?

4. Why hasn't Nintendo got the rights to use Rare games for its backlog?

Any help would be gratefully received

1. No ,you can have it for extra space ,the Wii has a 512MB HDD
2. Idk much about this all i know is I use Wirless ,but i think u can use ethernet as well
3. No you don't.
4. idk

1 you dont NEED a ds

2 you need wifi inless u buy some sub thing i think or u buy the nintendo wifi adaptor for your pc

3 what card? its free

4 cus thay make crappy games now and think thay are the p0wnz0r

1. There is an internal hard drive, pretty large too. You can also use an Sd card to carry memory over to other people's wii's.

2. I'm pretty sure it is Wifi only. From what I see/hear it can only be done by wireless router. Don't quote me though.

3. You do not need to buy a card. Get your connection set up, and have fun playing! Note that there are only a few games out right now that you can play serious online gaming.

4. No idea on that law mumbo jumbo haha.

Hope that helped some! And welcome to the forums!

XLaw said:
1. No ,you can have it for extra space ,the Wii has a 512MB HDD
2. Idk much about this all i know is I use Wirless ,but i think u can use ethernet as well
3. No you don't.
4. idk

TY this has helped but anyone else know about ethernet connectivity? and any news on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark would be good

1) No, it has internal flash memory if not a HDD. SD card is only needed so much as to back up games or save files if you start to fill up your Wii memory (and in that event, don't buy Nintendo brand--it's slightly overpriced). You do, however, still need a Gamecube memory card for Gamecube games.

2) You'd have to buy an adapter to use ethernet. For additional, related knowledge: The only extra ports on the Wii are the two USB ports in the back.

3) The Wii points card is redeemed for credit to spend in the Wii Shop Channel, where you can buy things such as new channels (only internet channel is charged AFIK), and Virtual Console titles.

4) I'm really not to sure on this. They had the rights to go so far as put up the Donkey Kong Country titles (all of which were developed by Rare), but it's speculation as to why titles such as Goldeneye, DK64, and the likes of Banjo-Kazooie.

Ok thanks guys. Ive still got the Ps3..Ps2 and pc for online games if the Wii isnt ethernet but it wouldve been nice to play online with it. Guess i will find out when it comes thro the post.

Cool...so i will get the adapater for the net side of things. I learnt about not buying official memo cards from the PSP lol. I really hope Goldeneye makes it onto Virtual Console as in my eyes it was the greatest FPS of all time.

P4n7h3r said:
Yes this is the device i need. I hate wifi connection its so slow and dodgy. And i read in a PC magazine that the wifi connection would not be great til 2010 onwards. 20mb broadband through a cable isp is what im using so i want to make the most of it.

SORRY about triple post...lol...wouldnt let me edit reply

Just my opinion, but I would get the Nintendo brand one, not the Datel brand one.

1. at the moment, you really don't need to buy any extra sd cards unless you plan on stuffing your wii with vc games. dunno if they're planning on releasing an exterior hard drive just yet.

2. you can go online using a wireless router or an ethernet cable. and no, lag is not an issue.

3. the wii's online capabaility is free of charge! all you need is a working (hopefully fast and reliable) internet connection.

4. idk, my bff jill?

1. The Wii has 512mb of internal memory, plenty for all your save files, channels and what not. I have over 60 game saves on there, all the channels, downloaded several VC titles and still have a ton of space left.

Also, if you wish to play Gamecube games you will need a Gamecube controller and a Gamecube memory card to save those games, as you can't save Gamecube games to the Wii's memory. So that saves you space, but costs a little more if you don't already own a Gamecube.

2. If you don't have a wireless connection, you can use the Wi-Fi usb connector which is easy to install and fits into the usb drive on your computer. This then sends a signal to your Wii and is picked up, but to make this work you may need to turn off your Firewall so the signal reaches your console. If your Wii and PC are close to each other, you can also use a LAN adapter, usb end plugs into your Wii, then the other cord goes in between your computer and your internet modem.

3. Internet and Online are free to use on the Wii.
The card you may be confused with is the Points Card which can be used with the Wii Shop Channel once your internet connection is going. There you can download old favorites from systems like Super Nintendo, n64, Sega Genesis etc. or download new channels as well.

4. Rare was bought by Microsoft, and Nintendo doesn't own the rights to those old games anymore or something. Or they own one or two, its confusing but I don't think we will see those games anytime soon.

Back