Sony Cuts PS3 Price by 20%

sKin

Bulls on Parade
Aug 23, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Tokyo (Japan) - Sony is cutting prices on its upcoming PlayStation 3 even before the 17 November release date. Ken Kutagari, Sony's PlayStation chief, spoke told the audience at the Tokyo Game Show that prices would be cut by 20% and that all models will include HDMI connectors. He also said there will be no further shipment delays.

The PlayStation 3 will be Sony's newest gaming console will ship with a Cell processor, Blu-ray disc player and a 20 or 60 GB hard drive. The PS3 with a 20 GB hard drive version will sell for 49,980 yen or about $430. The price for the 60 GB version remains unchanged. Apparently, the price cut only applies to the Japanese market.

Source

Interesting... discuss :)

Gosh, Sony is so weird. They lower the price of the version of the PS3 that most people won't buy because it has so few features. If Sony really wanted to copy Nintendo where it hurts, they could lower the PS3 60GB version by $200-$250...but that just won't happen...for years.

Microsoft did it with the 360 noob pack
only a tenner thow

But do you think this will affect nintendo? I think not, because Sony is almost lost for me...

NateTheGreat said:
Gosh, Sony is so weird. They lower the price of the version of the PS3 that most people won't buy because it has so few features. If Sony really wanted to copy Nintendo where it hurts, they could lower the PS3 60GB version by $200-$250...but that just won't happen...for years.
Stop giving sony ideas :)

Arcadium said:
But do you think this will affect nintendo? I think not, because Sony is almost lost for me...
no
the wii is still cheap

but chavs are smiling

they say its to compete with wii, but its def. to compete with the 360 bundle thing since it found out that the bundle is coming out the same day ps3 is coming out, oh and its only the core 20gb correct? even though like 80% of the PS3s are gonna be the 60gb version.

I don't even think you can compare the Ps3 with the Wii. I mean where do I start... the Ps3 has a hard drive, it has HD (UP TO 1080P!!! capabilities), it has a next-gen disc drive (Blu-Ray), it has Wifi.... add up the price of that and the price of a Ps3 is more than justified. The Wii is made to be cheap, have less features, appeal to a broader crowd, and be just plain fun. But comparing the two is just plain stupid.

Back