Sony Lawsuit

There's a number of thing I will say, but to keep it easy, I'll list them.
1. The building isn't really public. It belongs to the church, which in itself IS an institution. Therefore should have a say in whether it's going to part of the game or not.
2. Sony said they sought permission where needed. Obviously, they think like most people on here, that only companies have a right to complain when it comes to permissions.
3. Manchester has had a lot of tragedy when it comes to gun crime. Wouldn't there be outrage (indeed wasn't there with Super Columbine Massacre - or whatever it's called), if Columbine Highschool was in a shooting game?
4. Whilst I agree, they should have sought permission first (considering they could have chosen any landmark or buisness centre in Manchester to alter it without altering the story), I do not agree that they should be asking for a blank cheque. I do however feel that it would be no skin of Sony's nose if they did pay at least a relatively small donation to the church though - afterall, I've read that they're trying to provide services for youths in the community (or something like that).
5. If this game was on the SNES or even N64, it wouldn't have been a problem. What the problem is, is that it's supposedly "photo-realistic", therefore on par with movies and such. Heck even "Dr Who" (CNN quote) would have to enquire about permissions whereever they shoot (part of the biz).

I agree with you guys.

The only thing I can think of is the destruction of the church. I'm trying to think of why they would sue sony because it would be pretty lame if they sued it just because it was in the game. Sony just tried to make the game look realistic. I have no idea the pope had a ps3. Wonder what his psn id is. I'll kick his ass. (I don't have a ps3)

If this goes through and they get what they want, or equivalant, people everywhere will start bringing up random and pointless stuff just to get something from Sony. "Thats my house, I want to feel safe but know i think ill get shot." Stupid crap like that.

This world is really pathetic when someone looks at you weird and you sue them.

Just to make it clear the church in the game is 100% identical to the real church & it was shown in commercials for the game. They are being sued for copyright issues cause yes the real cathedral was copyrighted.

Major Tom said:
Just to make it clear the church in the game is 100% identical to the real church & it was shown in commercials for the game. They are being sued for copyright issues cause yes the real cathedral was copyrighted.
Good info. Could you provide sources?

This is like sueing a painter for painting a building in the background. You cant and if you do, theres something wrong with this world. Of course, even though I feel that way concerning buildings, I also understand that the evolution of technology has made it possible to create realistic events even though it didnt happen. One example is when a company reanimated the founder of the company (even though he has been dead for awhile) through computer animation. It looked like he was really there showing off his product. What would happen then if this technology was used to make say... a video of the CEO of ninty and bill gates having man sex? So some new laws need to be put in place for developing technology, but untill those laws are in place, this lawsuit should be thrown out.

Shiftfallout said:
This is like sueing a painter for painting a building in the background. You cant and if you do, theres something wrong with this world. Of course, even though I feel that way concerning buildings, I also understand that the evolution of technology has made it possible to create realistic events even though it didnt happen. One example is when a company reanimated the founder of the company (even though he has been dead for awhile) through computer animation. It looked like he was really there showing off his product. What would happen then if this technology was used to make say... a video of the CEO of ninty and bill gates having man sex? So some new laws need to be put in place for developing technology, but untill those laws are in place, this lawsuit should be thrown out.
Not so sure myself...
What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture.
Does my work have to be published to be protected?
Publication is not necessary for copyright protection.
Does copyright protect architecture?
Yes. Architectural works became subject to copyright protection on December 1, 1990. The copyright law defines “architectural work” as “the design of a building embodied in any tangible medium of expression, including a building, architectural plans, or drawings.” Copyright protection extends to any architectural work created on or after December 1, 1990. Also, any architectural works that were unconstructed and embodied in unpublished plans or drawings on that date and were constructed by December 31, 2002, are eligible for protection. Architectural designs embodied in buildings constructed prior to December 1, 1990, are not eligible for copyright protection.
Source:http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html

Sounds a bit dicey to me...

Nice Squall7. That clears up a lot. They actually have a case.

I would rep you but your to manly for that.

Shiftfallout said:

I think theres already a law on that, You know the same one with pictures and Video etc. Where you have to get a contract signed saying.... is allowed to show....face on whatever whatever. So it would be illegal showing a Person ( no matter what they are doing , having sex with bill or not) Im not sure about stuff like in cartoons but if its like you said and it looks like the real person, then its probably illegal.

Ya so the church is pissed the game has the Cathedral in it and they are offended the part in the game where you are fighting in it, they think its is wrong and offensive to be fighting, and have guns inside "their" church.

Squall7 said:
Good info. Could you provide sources?
I was watching the story on Fox News.... All it said was that cathedral has the same copyrights laws as the Eiffel Tower. It also went & showed side by side comparisons. I cant link to TV...... That ones fairly obvious.

What do you mean provide sources?? I gave one link already, I have seen it on 4 differnet stations and seen it on different websites? Are you saying you want more info or that i am lying??

uit's alot easier designing a church for a game if you base it on a church in r.l., i find the church have perfect rights to sue, but i don't think anything's going to come out of this

Back