Angry at Sony! Rant!

wezeles said:
Blue ray might be winning but its still not caught on, i doubt it will ever catch on... thats like saying minidisk is better than 8track dude... doesnt matter no ones buying it so who cares... dvd style media is over.. they were too late in the game... dvd sales slip everyday... and every hddvd and blueray disk sold together is still less than one hit movie on dvd.... they are both great formats i wont argue that.. they hold tones of info.. and are great but in todays age when all you do is click "buy" on your HD box to get a movie of the same quality for a 5th the price who will bother buying a blueray or Hddvd?
HD box? those havent caught on anymore than blu ray/hddvd players have im sure..and if its a fifth of the price it wouldnt have the movie forever, maybe a day rental...
and dude, its called the future, you said it yourself the dvd sales are slipping everyday, and sony hopes to keep the ps3 around for 10 years...so a format will have to take over, and right now blu ray is winning

Wiitendo said:
Hell no! Sony has bin ruined since 05 No one even buys their TVs anymore. Nintendo is the main game company in japan.

-BTW guitaer hero, FF, and mabey kingdom hearts are comming to wii.
FF chrystal chronicles is all that has come out on nintendo home consoles....and thats what is coming to the wii, totally different from the real FFs..

yes its called HD box.. satelite or cable.. if you even have an HDTV to need blueray or hddvd you better have satelite or cable HD comming into your home or its a waste of money.. i have a 1080i HD tivo for my satelite.. with more than enough memory and the movie is forever.. 3.99-5.99 thats it hit save.. im set.. if i want to take it anyware toss it on a friken 1 dollar dual layer dvd and its done... why would i waste my time buying a new style dvd player? and pay what 30-40 bucks for an HD movie.. when i get the same thing that cheep and can make a copy for almost nothing...

if you still have analog cable, or basic satelite in your home and have a 3000 on up HDTV whats the point.. anyone with HD signal has the option to add a tivo, and dvd burner for almost nothing.. i pay 5 bucks a month for subscription.. and the tivo and dvd player came with it for free... and i get every movie the day it comes out.. if i like it i burn a copie.. or toss it into my blank tower filled with cheep hard drives that i use for an extra DVR.. get a clue
DVD is old news... soon enough it wont exsist.. just tiny little memory cards for all our stuff.. that you can write and rewrite over without the risk of scratching or worring about... i have an SD slot in my tivo.. use it all the time..

i give it another 5 years tops before dvd style is obsolete.. maybe another 5 after that till its outta the bargin bin at wallmart... but hey buy it up.. think of the stacks of movies you can get in 10 years for 2 for 9.99 fill your closet with them.. ill have one big tivo, and a stock of memory cards that take up no more room then one dvd case...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but without 3rd party support, no system could do well in this market. Look at the Gamecube: great 1st party games, but horrible 3rd party support. So don't get all "Nintendo is best because they create their own IP's"

It was mentioned that the trend in gaming is "mini-games" and not full fledged games? Boy, I hope this isn't true, as it would be a insult to the many gamers. This "trend" would be great for grandma and grandpa, but I'm willing argue that a lot of gamers want an immersive, deep game when they invest $50-$60.

Though the OP stated that the downloadable PS1 games suck, I'm sure many others would disagree? Who one that generation?

Nothing against Nintendo or their current marketing scheme. It's brilliant. I grew up with N, but for the most part, the games they offer now just don't appeal to me. If I had children, it would be the perfect system, as a lot of content that's out there for 360 and PS3 I wouldn't want young children to see.

Oh, and another thing about copying. EVERYONE DOES IT! Do you honestly think BMW and Mercedez would be as good as they are if the other didn't exist? Hell, we'd all still probably be stuck with Windows XP for another 5 years if there wasn't Apple OSX. Could you imagine how Internet Explorer would be today if there wasn't Firefox or Safari? I could argue that if Sony didn't get into the industry, we'd still be playing on cartridges. Get over it, because that aspect of business is NEVER going to change. It makes things better.

I just can't believe how much their copying off Ninty.. the Home thing and the conroller movement. It's like..plain as a sheet of paper what they've done, I'd kick their ass if I was Nintendo. Obviously not Nintendo as a whole as it wouldn't make sence, but like..yeah

surfinrach90 said:
I just can't believe how much their copying off Ninty.. the Home thing and the conroller movement. It's like..plain as a sheet of paper what they've done, I'd kick their ass if I was Nintendo. Obviously not Nintendo as a whole as it wouldn't make sence, but like..yeah

Thats an ignorant statement if i ever heard one. The home is NOTHING like the nintendos mii thing. First, the whole avatar thing has been around way before nintendo. Thank PandP rpgs for that. Nintendo's mii focuses on making dolls of you and your friends. Yes they are dolls, based off a japanese wooden doll the japanese used to give out as gifts. Myamoto himself attempted the real avatar thing but the other producers told him its sucky. So in the end, you have Nintendo and a Doll making game and lets you vote and look up silly things. All childish if you ask me. This is NOTHING like sony's home.

Home is something Sony has been working on for awhile, in fact its been a concept unable to be realized even longer. It's perfect for marketing, community, downloading, basically the next step in a virtual reality. Similar games have done parts of this, Second-life lets you create and live in a world, watch streaming media and enhances multipul forms of interactivity.

Heres the thing, Microsoft threw A LOT of money around and was able to buy off a lot of the rights for third party franchises known for appearing on the Playstation. So you wont see many games out for the console right now, give it some time however because theres a lot of developers interested in teh console and they cant make games over night.

Lastly, Nintendo didnt magically invent motion sensorsy devices. They used an available technology and put it into a remote. Sony did the same and put in a .. shock.. controller. I fail to see how anyone copied anything at this point other than using a technology to enhance gameplay. There is one thing you can give nintendo though, thats making a system whos graphics are not even on par with current generation games. They made a system thats not much better than the game cube, gave it an innovative controller and put it on the market. It DID not take them long to do this, in fact it was a direct result of two things. 1) their gamecube was doing worse than they had hoped, 2) they knew sony and microsoft were already starting on their next gen systems. Nintendo wii is not next gen. Its repackaged old technology that uses an enhanced controller.

The biggest selling point for nintendo is their controller. Now to be fair, S. Miyamoto can be considered the founder of the gaming industries controllers. He has designed the first nintendo controller all the way up to the wii remote. I do not hesitate to state the fact, that he has set the standard for controllers. Every system out there adapted that style, not copied, but adapted to it. So Miyamoto said he would recreate a new form of controller, which he said he thought of after changing his TV at home with a..... remote.

If you havent realized by now, the gaming industry evolves by playing their own game: monkey see, monkey do.. or rather monkey see, monkey do better than you.

You peeps need to give Sony time, they are way ahead of the ball game in terms of technology, both software and hardware. They are trying to create not merely a gaming device, but a true form of the term 'multi-media' and interconnectivity.

By the way, if you havent tried the psp, i suggest you do so. Currently playing all ps1 games, all nintendo roms up to the N64, Sega, gameboy.. you name it. Also browse the web, listen to music, DL applications, watch movies... it goes on. The psp is merely a handheld, but its core software that enables soooo much... yeah well its the kid version of what sony has planned for their big daddy console. Sony really does have the upper hand, just no one has realised it yet.

After GDC last week, a lot of developers have shown more interest in Sony's system. See what happens down the line.

it wont matter how much intrest there is from 3rd party developers still wont matter... anyone who has had a console before this gen knows how 3rd party works... the console comes out with some decent entry level 1st and 2nd party games... maybe a couple 3rd party titles... or exclusives... then not untill 9months to a year does any really big named 3rd party titles pop up... why? well lets see if your a 3rd party gaming company you have to sign a contract with whichever console you distribute it on.. giving them the rights, alot of times as you have seen exclusive rights for 6 months or sometimes longer when you release with them...

from there you make royalties off every game sold, they get a percentage, you get a percentage... pretty easy concept.. thing is if your stuck in a contract for 6,9,12 months or god forbid exclusive rights with one console.. who are you going to pick?
everyone has this idea that 3rd partys are in it for bragging rights.. they dont care they are going to toss it out on the best console for the buck... they dont care about graphics,gameplay any of that... it all comes down to money... they gotta put food on the table just like everyone else.. if they had to they would put it out on an old atari if they knew it would sell more copies...

the fact is sony relys on good 3rd party.. you cant get good 3rd party support without console numbers unless your willing to budge on royalties... now sony already looses money on every system they make.. do you think they can afford to loose money on games too? no.. so untill they sell the units there are going to have to pull the cash from somewere cause there number of consoles are not good enough for top 3rd party titles...

now what if nintendo decided to take a cut in games? they already make a profit on the system... only one who has in 8 years.. are they ripping you off? i dont think so.. if your gonna sell something you should make money off it atleast a litte.. but if they decide to take a cut in how much they make per game... give that money to 3rd party to take.. everyone would jump on it with the units sold.. and increase in revenue... nintendo always has taken a good chunk outta game money too, thats why they share or get lower end 3rd party games... all they have is gaming.. not like microsoft or sony with plenty of money from other forms of buisness... and if 360 takes a cut in games revenue for sure all the sony 3rd party would jump on board.. they know its the same fan base,good online, and great number of consoles...

its buisness kids, and the only ones with the edge are 360 and wii for now... they got the numbers, reliable 1st and
2nd party games.. and can acctually take some kinda cut and not get hurt... sony cant... simple as that.. they need to sell units or they are dead in the water

Last edited:
wezeles said:
yes its called HD box.. satelite or cable.. if you even have an HDTV to need blueray or hddvd you better have satelite or cable HD comming into your home or its a waste of money.. i have a 1080i HD tivo for my satelite.. with more than enough memory and the movie is forever.. 3.99-5.99 thats it hit save.. im set.. if i want to take it anyware toss it on a friken 1 dollar dual layer dvd and its done... why would i waste my time buying a new style dvd player? and pay what 30-40 bucks for an HD movie.. when i get the same thing that cheep and can make a copy for almost nothing...

if you still have analog cable, or basic satelite in your home and have a 3000 on up HDTV whats the point.. anyone with HD signal has the option to add a tivo, and dvd burner for almost nothing.. i pay 5 bucks a month for subscription.. and the tivo and dvd player came with it for free... and i get every movie the day it comes out.. if i like it i burn a copie.. or toss it into my blank tower filled with cheep hard drives that i use for an extra DVR.. get a clue
DVD is old news... soon enough it wont exsist.. just tiny little memory cards for all our stuff.. that you can write and rewrite over without the risk of scratching or worring about... i have an SD slot in my tivo.. use it all the time..

i give it another 5 years tops before dvd style is obsolete.. maybe another 5 after that till its outta the bargin bin at wallmart... but hey buy it up.. think of the stacks of movies you can get in 10 years for 2 for 9.99 fill your closet with them.. ill have one big tivo, and a stock of memory cards that take up no more room then one dvd case...
anyways
either HDdvds or Blu rays are going to take the next movie format though, i dont think the worlds ready for using sd cards.. since HD will be the standard as of 2009, someone will have to win, and lbu ray is looking like it

like i said dvd sales have been slipping ever sence the introduction of HD DVR boxes...same with CD sales sence itunes and every other song download program came out... and with all the movies and songs at your fingertips without going to the rental store or best buy what would you do?... im sure one will win... but its going to be equivalent to minidisk when sony brought them out... they will be used but very small numbers.. because you can get the same quality cheeper somewere else eiaser.. any "future tech" or tech guy at all for that matter has predicted that physical media will be dead by 2020 all together... it will all just be downloaded not bought.. already headed that way... so sure one will win, but you will be the winner of the loosing format... and that gives ya what... a pile of useless 30-40 dollar dvd's in 10 years? i wouldnt waste my money.. ive had to take plenty of classes about t.v., video,audio production in school one on the history of formats... its the same road the other loosers took.. desperate last attempt...

I see lots of replys, thats good. All very good points. I doubt Blu ray will catch on, with HD sky channels and HD TV's being sold rather than plasma screens, no doubt HD dvd type players will over sell Blu ray.

And come on guys song did rip Nintendo off, mainly the control scheme. But however i'm Seeing PS3 being advertised in HMV and places so if sony pull of a good advertisment campaign, i dont know people may be willing to pay 400+ pounds. However it seems that more sony fans are still playing PS2.

Goose461 said:
And come on guys song did rip Nintendo off, mainly the control scheme. But however i'm Seeing PS3 being advertised in HMV and places so if sony pull of a good advertisment campaign, i dont know people may be willing to pay 400+ pounds. However it seems that more sony fans are still playing PS2.

The controler schemes are nothing alike. If you are refering to the motion sensor technology, well thats been around for awhile. Nintendo didnt invent it nor was it really the first to fully utilize it. Though they did put it to good use.

Miyamoto himself has designed every single controller for the nintendo since its conception. He got the idea for the remote when using his tv remote. He said it felt more comfortable to him. Tada, now your using a tv remote with a sensory device in it. Its fun, well done, but not all that amazing. I do give nintendo props for having the balls to get away from the connected controller devices.

Hmmm i think They probably DID copy the idea from nintendo, i mean Nintendo wii is the only Console to have a Innotive feature such free movement, them almost immediately afterwoulds PS3 anounce there motion sensor. I mean i wouldnt mind if it wasnt so blatently obviouse that they got the idea from Nintendo.

Remember when the offical PS3 controller looked like this..... (note NO motion sensor)
PS3-Controller-Large.jpg

Then Nintendo anounce this......
e32006-wii-controller-full.jpg

Then sony change there controller completely WITH motion sensor
e32006-ps3-controller-full.jpg

And there you go....

i think sony will win this format war.. first time for everything there sales are double that of HDDVD sales.. and it is a good format, they arnt being greedy with it eaither they are giving up the rights to use blueray to anbyone who wants it for a decent price... my point is physical media itself is falling... out of all the blueray and hddvd's sold together it still isnt to the number of just one top selling dvd 10 years ago when it was introduced.. the fact is its easier to just download a movie or song these days then to go out and buy it... and any hd reciever cable,satelite gives you ondemand movies in the same quality as blueray or hddvd for a small fraction of the price.. blue ray will win... but it will never get to a level where its really profitable

Last edited:
Back