Sony Sound Selections

GypsyKid

WiiChat Member
Apr 12, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm curious about the various sound settings for the PS3, and how they effect output, etc.

I do have a old Home Theatre set up. It only does Dolby 5.1 no DTS. I'm using the optical cable hook up.

Right now I have it set at Dolby Digital 5.1 checked on, Linear PCM 2Ch. 44.1 khz checked on.

I have no idea if this is the optimum setting for my system. I know 44.1 is standard CD quality. I don't know if I should enable the higher audio rates or not. What will happen if I enable all of them? Will that mess up my receiver?

Also what is AAC?

For BD/DVD Audio output format and BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) What's the deal with the message that says: "If you select (Bitstream), some portions of Audio from the BD may not be played."?

I do have them set to Linear PCM, but I'm just wondering.

Anyways, it looks as though at some point I'm going to have to upgrade not only my TV but my Home Theatre as well.

I still may wait awhile as I'm not comfortable with the prices and what's out there for TV's. Everytime I go look at TV's they all look like crap, and I'm finding there is so many differences it's overwhelming. Not to mention no TV's, sources, and cables are created equal. They all perform differently with different configurations, etc.

I just find todays TV market to be too high priced and too overwhelming when it comes to choices. I hope this all changes in the next year or two. Maybe then I can get an amazing tv and sound system and rediscover the PS3 all over again.

Last edited:
"Because of its exceptional performance and quality, Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is at the core of the MPEG-4, 3GPP and 3GPP2 specifications and is the audio codec of choice for Internet, wireless and digital broadcast arenas. AAC provides audio encoding that compresses much more efficiently than older formats, such as MP3, yet delivers quality rivaling that of uncompressed CD audio."

Im thinking it has conflicting problems when using bitstream and something else for BD's. Thats just a guess.

I got a $400 TV, HD but not 1080p. Its pretty big, 30 something flat panel wide screen.

Back