Sony Strikes Back

Nice read...now time to discuss :) (I like reading your long posts, Shift, just so you know; they're interesting, unlike 80% of the bologna on this forum nowadays)

(When I say "he" I mean John Tretton, not Shift)

He's asked 1st, "Is there anything that will surprise about the PS3"; his answer is the mot simple possible, "it surprises me more every day..." C'mon Tretton, put some thought into it. So he starts talking about how he plays the games his own company makes for weeks on end (not that this is surprising, just the fact that his has no relevance to the question and his only answer is...well, just sorta stupid).

GP then asks "GP: How well do you think that message is getting out there? That the PS3 has more going on than just gaming?". Of course, this is what Sony is known for; adding extra gizmos where (int he case of the PS3) extra gizmos aren't needed. So, I would say the message is pretty clear to a lot of people that the PS3 has tons of extras, however many people are mis-lead into thinking that all of the extras turn the PS3 into a "over-priced hunk o' junk" which isn't true. The highlight of the paragraph to me is when he says...

"But I think we do the industry and the technology an injustice if we assume that all gamers care about is gaming and that they don't do anything else with their time."

....actually, most people distinguish the two things. They want to play games on their gaming-console, and they want to do all their other **** with machines that are designed for that particular stuff (DVD player, computer, MP3 Player, etc.). That's why so many people are pissed at Sony, because of that exact reason.

"Do you think the PS3 isn't getting good advertising, as well as too much bad advertising?" He replies hinting that Sony is the leader, the dominate company in gaming, how everyone is after them (which I agree, the PS2 was and still is a major success). This (IMO) disappointing follow up [the PS3] leads to tons of bad coverage, and not enough of the good. Honestly, how many Wii commercials have you seen....okay, now how many PS3 commercials have you seen? Think of the good-to-bad ratio of articles for the Wii...now the PS3. Sony is definitely, I think, getting spat on more than they really should.

When he's asked about what he thinks about M$ and Ninty he confesses, while he's still proud of the games Sony develops, he's jealous of their platforms as well (obviously, with games like Halo and GoW; and Mario, Link, and Smash Bros.). Who wouldn't? Bare with me, the next paragraphs will go quicker....

Moving on....

Then he's asked multiple questions about the success of the PS2, even after the release of the PS3. He says that it's 7 years in, it's got the best games out for it by now, it's well known. This will also happen with the PS3 as well, according to Mr. Tretton. He says (throughout the interview) that they're going for long-term success (with those prices you must!), however long they're seeing is unknown to me, but I don't think the PS3 will be making a huge turn around for a while.

"PSNetwork, give us the skinny" It's free (which is a reason that it's better than the 360) and it's better than the Wii's free online service (then again, the console is $350 more...all I have to say is that it better be a f*** load better than a little kiddie console ;)). Oh, it's easier to access to (from what i've heard though, the Wii's interface is much easier to access...)

I like when he says "That promise [buying the PS3] is requires consumers to take a leap of faith." :lol:

Also, "But the best proof points are, 'were you satisfied with your PS2 or PSP?' The research we get is overwhelmingly positive." That in no way implies that the PS3 will be just as great. This has been shown with the destruction of companies (at least the console making aspect of them).

"How will the PS3 stack up in the future?" His basic reply was, "Like I said before, we're shooting for a long-term success." He admitted that the ONLY think he would like to change would have been the release, which was high near impossible (obviously you would only know that if you produced the PS3...no further comment). He said he would stick with his price tag, it's more than you could ask for for $600 (which is true). He states over and over "it's an investment..." and it is, just like it's previous two consoles. Time will tell if it was worth it.

"Will the price ever come down?" To me, I couldn't see anywhere he just said "yes" or "no". He gave an example and hinted no further...

"Will there ever be an even more updated v. of the PS3?" Once again, no hints towards "yes" or "no" (in my eyes). I did agree with him, however, on that entire paragraph. The following:

"TRETTON: It's something that's in consideration, but again, it's very early on in the PS3's life cycle. We believe that every consumer should have a hard drive, and they absolutely have to have 50 GB Blu-ray drives. For the gamer, Blu-ray video may not be desired today, but we went through the same thing with the PS2. People didn't buy it for the DVD player, but in many instances the PS2 was the first DVD player they ever owned. A lot of them still use it as their DVD player today. I don't think Blu-ray is the reason why gamers would buy the PS3, but I will guarantee you that every consumer will see value in that over time. You may not own a 1080p television today, but how many of us have HD TVs now when we didn't even know what it was three years ago? Technology moves quickly, and people tend to live in the here and the now.

With including the Blu-ray in the PS3, we're taking some lumps in the short term so we can say "I told you so" in the long term."

He points out an interesting fact in the next section when he's asked: "Are the PS3 sales what Sony has expected to see?" We all see how people rave on about how the PS3 sucks ass and is just worthless, not a true gaming system, but how the PS2 was the god of the 2nd generation. Well listen to this, "Considering those lofty sales heights, our initial PS3 numbers hit one million faster than the PS2." So in theory, the PS3 should sell better. So maybe Sony really is looking for the long-term success, maybe the PS3 will really just become the "PS2 #2".

Pretty much a big fat "NO" to new, pro controllers.

Bunch of GFX q's...

He's then asked about one thing that most, if not all gamers dream about: "Will our favorite games from the [previous console] be updated with new graphics and put on the system?" He says it's definitely a possibility. That's great news for my ears (even though I won't ever get a PS3 most likely, but this could pressure Ninty to do it themselves; M$ too if they haven't already promised this).

Okay, I honestly can't do anymore...the rest of the questions I think are mostly about the fan-base and how they're getting crapped on by people who nothing about the console...

Phew, I hope that all came out the way I planned.

I get what you are saying but still i feel as if i wouldn't be surprise because it is the mature adults that are buying it for the kids.... But average gamer is different from hardcore gamers......... But if he suprise then it shows you that sony only focuses on adults.. i have never heard nintendo say they are focusing on one age group. It's not that they target different groups, its because the world make it seems as if nintendo is for kids. But if you say you only see kids with my product then obviously that's like saying its for kids. Most likely who every is buying your product is who it's for. so if most teens by a product then most likely its for teens. I feel as if sony never focus on nothing other than adult gamers. Crash was the closes game they had to a kid i think. and rapa da rapper or whatever it name.

BrandonMcAuslan said:
Anyway I'm interested in the whole "10 year cycle" thing. Think back 10 years ago. What did games look like? Would you be happy still playing ps1 games?

I still love playing mario kart on my N64. Hows that for product life? Now only if I can find Mario Party 3.

^
Yeah im still playing PS1 games as well. I even boot up alleyway, i loved that game for the game boy. Thanksfully my PSP can play all those old games.

Umm you're trolling son. And now tampons and videogames can be used as analogies to one another. The bottom line is that sony will say anything to make this situation look extremely better than it really is. Yes we know they targeted the so called "hardcore gamer". But they forgot that hardcore gamer is a stereotype and a really stupid one at that. They come in all ages, colors, and sexes. Hence Nintendo is reaching BOTH "hardcore" and "causal" gamers. And in fact NEITHER is better than the other in my opinion so sony is losing out by doing that.

You posted the article as flame bait and thats what you're probably going to get. Me saying it was ridiculous was a statement of an opinion. DEAL WITH IT. I like reading it but I found it to be 90% bullshit and 10% bitching.

As for the 10 year cycle thing I for one don't play my N64. Threw that away years ago. Same thing with the SNES. Don't get me wrong. I loved both systems. But they were done and past their prime. So I moved on. Its fine if you still play those systems but we really don't know if everyone who had an 64 or PS1 STILL plays it regularly. I'm betting thats NOT the case.

Last edited:
Sorry for double posting but ssbb_lover you did a hell of a job there. You do like to read. PEOPLE THE KID DOESN"T LIE lmao.....BUt the price will have to go down though. Once a product costs so much money in america. It has to drop the price after a while. I think its 6months or something else. But only so much money companys can make off the government for a certain amount of time.

hotpotato78 said:
I get what you are saying but still i feel as if i wouldn't be surprise because it is the mature adults that are buying it for the kids.... But average gamer is different from hardcore gamers......... But if he suprise then it shows you that sony only focuses on adults.. i have never heard nintendo say they are focusing on one age group. It's not that they target different groups, its because the world make it seems as if nintendo is for kids. But if you say you only see kids with my product then obviously that's like saying its for kids. Most likely who every is buying your product is who it's for. so if most teens by a product then most likely its for teens. I feel as if sony never focus on nothing other than adult gamers. Crash was the closes game they had to a kid i think. and rapa da rapper or whatever it name.
I think that was pretty blatant of Sony to just diss Nintendo by saying how he only saw DS's in the hands of kids, but PSP's, oh no.

"PSP's are for the adult gamer....ohh wait, did GP ask about how many KIDS have a PSP?....:lol:

Well at least we didn't release a PINK one! That's for sissy barbie huggin ninnies! *snort*....huh, we did that to?....

...Damnit."

*EDIT*
hotpotato78 said:
Sorry for double posting but ssbb_lover you did a hell of a job there. You do like to read. PEOPLE THE KID DOESN"T LIE lmao.....BUt the price will have to go down though. Once a product costs so much money in america. It has to drop the price after a while. I think its 6months or something else. But only so much money companys can make off the government for a certain amount of time.
Lol, i'll say it again. I hate reading...for some reason though...reading posts on Wiichat just makes it more...fun. Hey, can someone upload "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Alas, Babylon"? :lol:

(book reports)

Last edited:
Ssbb_lover now i see why sony fans talk the way they do because the head people of sony thinks the same way lmao. pink psp! Lmao..... They even trying to target the little girls. what is wrong with sony? lmao but i no he was dogging nintendo because he sees them as a real threat

hotpotato78 said:
Ssbb_lover now i see why sony fans talk the way they do because the head people of sony thinks the same way lmao. pink psp! Lmao..... They even trying to target the little girls. what is wrong with sony? lmao but i no he was dogging nintendo because he sees them as a real threat
Of course, the Wii is a huge/crucial success for Nintendo. They've gained a huge new fanbase, and have kept their old, that's an amazing goal to accomplish...all this means even better results for WiiNi. :D (for those of you who don't know, that Wii #2 in Japanese)

....Wiini....:lol:

ssbb that was an awesome analysis. sony has no gaming roots. Its got media, entertainment roots. Its trying to push all these extras that people don't want. We KNOW it has Blu Ray. Hardly anyone cares right now. Maybe down the line yeah but right now its not crucial. The 360 manages to have addons that people want and don't seem too excessive.

Lol at WiiNi...I might shoot someone if Nintendo does call it that. Although you gotta admit its going to be pretty hard to top "Wii". I'll always remember my first reaction to that name. "WHAT THE F*CK!?" I was loving "Revolution". Then they gave it the most kiddie sounding name of the millenium! I was like Nintendo deserves whatever catastrophe happens to it this time around. I'm done. But now a few months later I'm proud to say, "Wii will win".

Ridiculous

Last edited:
Yeah i know about the wiini from another forum when everybody was talking about how people place ii in everything. I forget you was in that thread to lol...... But my bad i should have said that you like reading long stuff on the forum but hate reading in generally lmao

MasterJedi2U said:
Umm you're trolling son. And now tampons and videogames can be used as analogies to one another. The bottom line is that sony will say anything to make this situation look extremely better than it really is. Yes we know they targeted the so called "hardcore gamer". But they forgot that hardcore gamer is a stereotype and a really stupid one at that. They come in all ages, colors, and sexes. Hence Nintendo is reaching BOTH "hardcore" and "causal" gamers. And in fact NEITHER is better than the other in my opinion so sony is losing out by doing that.

Man you and your bias. Its so bad i could swim in it. He was talking about the target audience and the age group. You are confusing age group and hard core gamers.

You did not read the interview or you would have seen where he says he admires nintendo for their ability to market towards people at all angles.

He also admits their own problems "I would have rather said, "Coming in 2006" so that if we got it out on December 31st, we'd have delivered on the promise. And [if Sony had not promised a worldwide launch we could have been] given accolades for getting Japan and North America out at the same time. But if you say "worldwide" and you only get two of the three regions out, then you left yourself open. It's like making a Super Bowl prediction at the beginning of the season -- you're setting yourself up to fail."

I like his honesty, but you dont seem to see it with a balanced open mind. You demonize everything sony, you admit it all the time. Why bother posting here at all if you hate sony so much? I dont get it. No, you sir are a troll.

As for the tampons analogy, it fits perfectly (pun intended) with the game argument. Why? Because in the interview he said sony had a specific age range they were going for and something the younger audiences can grow up to like within that 10 years. Kind of like a tampon for lil girls, they dont need it now but hey couple years down the line they might be interested. Its something you grow into, and that was his argument concerning the target audience.

I wont be suprised if you cant grasp this, you wear a bias filter as if they were sunglasses.

You posted the article as flame bait and thats what you're probably going to get. Me saying it was ridiculous was a statement of an opinion. DEAL WITH IT. I like reading it but I found it to be 90% bullshit and 10% bitching.

Really, so now miss cleo you are predicting my intentions behind this INTERVIEW. Notice where i posted the interview, its neutral. The title of the interview is called Sony Strikes Back. Do a google search on it. I also state its EDUCATIONAL, because it gives some insight as to how Sony is looking at it. I like how the guy admits their faults and compliments their competitors, but also throws in some information as to how it is internally with them. Its very neutral and up front. You dont see that. Im sorry.

No, no flame bait there, just an interview with the CEO of Sony america in the PS3 SUBSECTION. <--- pay attention now.

Most of the time, you are a troll. You thread crap the stuff you hate, and ball lick the stuff you love.

hotpotato78 said:

ssbb_lover said:
I think that was pretty blatant of Sony to just diss Nintendo by saying how he only saw DS's in the hands of kids, but PSP's, oh no.

"PSP's are for the adult gamer....ohh wait, did GP ask about how many KIDS have a PSP?....:lol:

Well at least we didn't release a PINK one! That's for sissy barbie huggin ninnies! *snort*....huh, we did that to?....

...Damnit."

Lol nicely put SSBB. Funny too.

Again i need to remind people it was a Promo for the Artist PINK.
He also goes on to say: "One of the things that I always admired about Nintendo, with its portable strategy, is that they could attack the consumer from many angles."

I wont lie, i have never seen an adult play the DS when out and about. Kids love the DS, and marketing towards kids is very profitable. McDonnalds got where it was today because of kids.. Same with nintendo. A lot of those kids grew up and here we are.

Wiini.. eh. I hope Wiini is bigger because I dont like it when my small Wiichii. (ok that was a lame joke. Big Wiinie as in a Shlong and Wiichi is itchy wiiwii, Ichi is 1 in Nihongo)

Last edited:
Shift that is not making anything better you know....... Why make a last statement like that because i've seen masterjedi2u have a post in the xbox section where he is trying to find out about how this thing works.... So you can't say stuff like that man...

I don't agree with the sony ceo on a piece where he said when you target alot of different groups you set up yourself to fail. I think thats dumb because how come sony always targets at the adult gamers, they never branch out to say lets get to the kids..... I dont agree with that i feel its best to have a system where everyone can relate to and not just adults. i don't think you are setting up your self to fail if you target more than one group because you will never be able to target everybody because everyone has different taste. Just attract who you can.
" mom i want a ps3"
"wait mikey, not until the children games come out for it"

Look how stupid it sounds. it's best to have a variety and not target one set of people. Thats like being sexiest or racist.

but with that superbowl eg u use......... He is basically doing that by putting all of his votes in one set of team because sony honestly feels as if, if they target the adults they win the war. but they must also realise that these adult gamers are having kids to lol

hey it depends on what type of pink it is lol....... Because the gameboy advance was fushia pink. That was a good color. I had me one of those ones and everybody wanted to buy it from me lol.But hey i just can't see them doing a pink one even because of the artist pink. Because little girls usually would get something pink. But anyway it was only limited.

Back