Super Paper Mario read error

mwiah14

WiiChat Member
Aug 23, 2007
Hi, I just got my Wii last night. I bought it off eBay brand new, and it seems to work fine with WiiSports, WiiPlay, and Rayman Raving Rabbids, and otherwise.

All my games were bought from eBay, and RRR is used but in perfect condition.

I just got Super Paper Mario in the mail today, also used and from eBay. It was , according to the description, used only a few times, and that is somewhat evidenced by how there are virtually no scratches, debris, or any form of damage on the read (or either) side of the disc.

The case, entire disc, and materials all look perfect, but the game will not play.

I put it in the Wii (correctly, I might add, triple-checked), and it loads in the Wii Menu normally, with the pre-play animation thing going fine.

When I click "Start," the screen goes black, the Wii's drive starts and then sounds like its having trouble, and an error message appears, e.g. "The disc could not be read."

I only find this weird because the disc looks fine, I cleaned it a bunch of times, and it loads in the pre-play screen. This is my second day with the Wii however, and my first problem, so I can't really know, right? I also own all three PlayStations, and have never had this type of problem with no scratches or anything on a disc (not trying to say Sony's better, just saying I've had experience).

My guess is that it must be defective, and the eBay merchant may have lied, or there's an issue with my Wii console itself.
Can games just randomly go defective after working fine? In the mail on the way, or something? It's like some kind of DOA.
Other games still play fine after this.

I want to know if anyone else has had this issue with this game in particular (or others with exact symptoms, and what was done afterwards), and whether or not I should just go for a different disc of the game, or keep hope and bother with calling Nintendo's customer service about it.

Thanks!

i have not had issues, and i highly doubt the game could just go completly defective without some form of damage to it. and if all your other games work fine then it cant be your Wii. i think the ebay person lied. and calling nintendo may not be that bad of an idea. say that you bought a new SPM and the disc is not damaged at all but it will not play. they could possibly send you a new one? maybe...

Back