Tenchu: Shadow Assassins...

For once a failing/dead franchise thrown onto the Wii actually doesn't fail again.

Yep the Wii may have just saved Tenchu from the purgatory that the 360 left it in. ;)

Shadow Assassins is a great game, the more I play it the more I like it. Acquire wanted to make the definitive Tenchu game and while I'm not sure that they have totally achieved that, it is the best game since Tenchu 2.

ill rent it, 10+ hours isnt worth it. :-( damn and i was really looking forward to this.

When they say 10+ hours for the main story it might sound short but it really isn't, because Tenchu isn't about getting through the story as quickly as possible. It's about getting as perfect a score as possible, which certainly won't happen on the first run through. I kind of doubt that you would be able to do that with just a rental either.

Yep the Wii may have just saved Tenchu from the purgatory that the 360 left it in. ;)

Shadow Assassins is a great game, the more I play it the more I like it. Acquire wanted to make the definitive Tenchu game and while I'm not sure that they have totally achieved that, it is the best game since Tenchu 2.
HEY

I liked the 360 version
The other ones where good as well (not the one on mobile phones that was borderline unplayable)

But thats coming from a fan bloke

HEY

I liked the 360 version
The other ones where good as well (not the one on mobile phones that was borderline unplayable)

But thats coming from a fan bloke

Yeah I know some people did actually like Tenchu Z, more so than the reviewers did. I was actually just kind of joking for Sovieto's benefit though.

Second part was no joke though, Shadow Assassins really is the best game since Tenchu 2. :yesnod:

When they say 10+ hours for the main story it might sound short but it really isn't, because Tenchu isn't about getting through the story as quickly as possible. It's about getting as perfect a score as possible, which certainly won't happen on the first run through. I kind of doubt that you would be able to do that with just a rental either.
The developers didn't even make the last Tenchu a 360 game, it was PS2 at best. :frown2:

The developers didn't even make the last Tenchu a 360 game, it was PS2 at best. :frown2:
Same can be said for most Wii games

But this one cares not for graphics
I only ever care for how it plays

I have it. Kicks butt so far. I've only beaten the first level though. Off to play it now :)

So has anyone played it? And if so how is it?

It is great if you like stealth based games. If you don't like stealth based games then you wouldn't like Tenchu. A lot of the replay value comes from learning the levels and trying to get the best possible score; but it is very engrossing doing it.

Personally I think that it is the best game in the series since Tenchu 2, I've been hooked since I started playing it and I think it'll keep me busy until Madworld comes out.

It is great if you like stealth based games. If you don't like stealth based games then you wouldn't like Tenchu. A lot of the replay value comes from learning the levels and trying to get the best possible score; but it is very engrossing doing it.

Personally I think that it is the best game in the series since Tenchu 2, I've been hooked since I started playing it and I think it'll keep me busy until Madworld comes out.
Is the end of level score based off kills or is it based off getting throw the level with out getting seen ?
I liked to get throw the level with out getting seen or killing

PACIFIST NINJA CLAN WOHAAAA

Is the end of level score based off kills or is it based off getting throw the level with out getting seen ?
I liked to get throw the level with out getting seen or killing

PACIFIST NINJA CLAN WOHAAAA

mainly without getting seen and completing the objective. You could probably get master ninja for only killing one or two people if you weren't seen.
but a combination of stealth attacks will significantly boost your score.
and you can always find extra weapons laying around.

That is good to know

It bugged the heck outa me in Tenchu Z
Only one level have I not got the best rank (the pursuit level)
Where as I liked to go more or less right to my target only killing the ones that get in my way

Thanks for the responses. One more question before I go out and buy it:

Reviews have said there are 50+ small side quests missions and 10 small tutorial levels. About how much play time is there in one of the small side quests missions? Are they just a few minutes long or more? And what do you do in a side quest mission?

I just got the game today. I'll play later tonight and post some impressions.

Alright I'm towards the end of Stage 2, here's my impressions:

Pros:

-Graphics. Enviorments look great and are rich with detail. Cutscenes look good. Animations are pretty fluid. Only problem I've experinced with graphics are some collision issues, such as taking an enemy down near a wall, you may see him go through the wall some.

-Gameplay mechanics. Tenchu has all of the making of a great game control wise. Gameplay is deep and there is a varitey of ways to make your kills, and you'll have to do a vareity of things to reach your destination, from going up into attics, perching yourself in corners, hiding in bushes, crawling under benches, hiding in buckets, dousing flames, hopping from rafter to rafter and making your kill from above, standing in the shadows or more. The game is at its best when your waiting for a guard to get to a certain point in his patrol pattern so you can jump out and kill him or pull him in a bush and kill him with his own sword. There are some problems with the gameplay and I'll put them in the con section. Mind's eye is very useful and cool. Kill moves are fun, but can get repetitive.

-Sound. The one truly exceptional thing in the game is the sound. There are no Japanese VO for the very hardcore Tenchu fan, but the voice acting is well done nontheless and the music is awesome. Sound effects are pretty good too.

-Save System. The game can be saved usually 3-5 times per stage. This spaces out the the saves nicely without having to play an hour at a time. Save spots are apropriately placed when you enter a new envioroment. The game on its normal settings, also has a forgiving discovered system. You simply go back to the last save spot whether you saved there or not and all of the progress you have already made is saved. This can be changed to make it harder.

-Linear, but not too linear. There will be more than one way to get through enviorments sometimes. You'll also have to choose who to sneak bye and who you need to kill. Sometimes, just trying to kill everyone, or even kill the fewest people possible can be rewarding goals.

Cons:

-Swordplay. The sword combat is not only very hard, but sometimes irresposive. Right now I have not won a single sword match yet and I've tried a good 15 times. Most of the time I struggle to get past the enemies first barrage of attacks. Right now I'm avoiding sword play right now by using just purely stealth and if I'm discovered, since I don't carry a sword, I just start over at the beginning of the area. I pray there isn't a part of the game you have to get past using sword combat.

-Realism. Sometimes you'll be able to hide where, well, you shouldn't really be hidden. Sometimes, you can hide up against random walls, while other times you can't. (luckily the "Mind's Eye" feature tells you which walls) This defintley makes the game lean more towards a puzzle and less towards real life stealth. I have had some problems of being disocovered despite being hidden in the shadows. Also, the guy ninja is a bit sluggish.

-Game Design. It's not really the level design that's bad, as it is that the game can be very tedious and very trial and error oriented on your first run through. Each stage will probably take you well over an hour on your first run thorugh but your 2nd run through will probably take you half that. Your going to get discovered, whether it's really your fault or not. Kind of plays into realism.

Overall:

Tenchu is a fun game. There is lots adrenaline going when you're near a guard and waiting for him to pass. The Wii-mote even vibrates to simulate a heartbeat in these situtations. Gameplay is generally fun. The game can get frustrating and at times will seem like a video game and not like realistic stelath.

I do reccomend the game for players looking for a mature stealth title. Even players not into stelath, the game is still worth a rent or waiting for the price to come down.

I'm not very far into the game yet but if I had to score it now I'd give it between a 7.5 and 8.0.

Last edited:
From what I hear/read latter in the game there are bossies
So youd better get used to that sword combat

Back