The Many Holidays of Every Day

^ Well, I'm not sure what culture decided to create the term, but I was referencing that the word itself came from the country's name.

Post of the day encroaching on the thread.

December 19th

Today, we've got four holidays and a single birthday.

Hard Candy Day
Look for an Evergreen Day
International Day For South-South Cooperation
Christmas Greetings From Space Anniversary
Criss Angel's Birthday

Hard Candy Day celebrates this type of candy that's been 'round since ancient times. You'd be hard pressed to say you hate all hard candy; even I am, as I have a rather potent distaste for hard candy. If it ain't caramel or somethin' the rich consume, I'd probably have a DO NOT WANT! moment.

Look for an Evergreen Day is the preferred day for those who cut down their own Christmas trees to find one. Though, finding the right evergreen can be an annoying process if you don't have your own on your property. That, and the mess they leave behind is quite unappealing... And on a completely random note, this is true particularly for myself, since if I'm not in a public area that requires footwear, inside the house or outside, I'm barefoot (well, unless there's snow). Durable feet ftw. Oh, and here's a funfact for ya's: Christmas trees have been sold in the US commercially for the holiday, for over 150 years now. Who would'a thought people were buying trees for Christmas... Wasn't that hard to find a forest you could take trees from for free back in the 19th century.

International Day For South-South Cooperation is another day officially endorsed by the UN about helping developing countries catch up with modern times. 'Course, that's a good thing, so even if it's a copypasta holiday, it doesn't deserve a gtfo.

Christmas Greetings From Space Anniversary is what it is; way back in 1958, President Dwight Eisenhower broadcasted a Christmas greeting from a satellite in space. Yes, 'Merica gets a holiday for this... -_-;

Mr. Mindfreak is an illusionist and nothing more. A grand performer moreso than your average magician, but nothing more.

T'is the season to have little to type about...

December 20th

Today, we've got a good six holidays.

Sangria Day
Fried Shrimp Day
Go Caroling Day
Cathode Ray Tube Day
Hanukkah
Mudd Day
International Human Solidarity Day

Not a fan of punch, so feel free to celebrate Sangria Day without me. Pour the wine, add a fruit of choice, and mix in a bit of brandy for the real sangria. 'Course, there're a million different variations like every other alcoholic beverage, but for me it was always go with the original (or very close to it), or **** it all together. Do not want sangria, so personally, **** it all together.

Fried Shrimp Day: OMNOMNOMNOMNOM! I love seafood, and like many people who don't, also love shrimp. Fried, it is also delicious-- Wait, didn't we have this food day already... ?? Or am I imagining it? =/

Go Caroling Day? I'll pass... But disregarding my scrooge-ness, caroling has been around for quite some time, and wasn't even a Christmas thing from the get-go. Caroling came into existence back around the 12th century of England. They were originally songs sung by entire communities in celebration of other important times, like harvest festivals and the like. It took a century for carols to become Christmas-related, not that other holiday carols were to disappear quickly.

Cathode Ray Tube Day celebrates the CRT; an abbreviation you might be familiar with. Back before everyone was raving over HD TV and CoD was on the mind of every fanboy faggot, this was the high-end TV technology. But nowadays, you'll be hard pressed to find a CRT TV brand new. LCD, plasma... the CRT had it's pay day, but now it's a technology of old (and by old, I mean a decade ago... lolspeedoftechnologyevolution). Being that I've wasted so many years of gaming on a CRT type TV, this is my holiday pick of the day! =D

Hanukkah, that Jewish holiday with the nine pronged candelabrum and traditions most of us have no ****ing clue about; I'm no exception... Enjoy your usual wiki page.

Mudd Day celebrates widely unknown Dr. Samuel A. Mudd, born in 1833. As a doctor, he made it his life to help anyone knocking on heaven's door; including John Wilkes Booth. Yes, that's right, Dr. Mudd helped Abraham Lincoln's assassin survive and escape captivity (for a bit longer, at least). He was sentenced to life in prison for aiding the president's murderer. HOWEVER, Booth was disguised when he asked Mudd for medical assistance, and Mudd had no idea his patient was the most notorious criminal of the century. Luckily, President Andrew Johnson pardoned him after four nasty years in prison. It's a shame this innocent man wasn't pardoned sooner, but it's better than the utter lack of pardonings of late... ohai Texas

International Human Solidarity Day celebr-- wait a damn minute, we already had a day of solidarity for a certain ethnicity (... we did, right?)! **** the old one, it gets a GTFO. Out with the stupid and in with the more relevant.

Sorry for the late post today. Been working on it since five-ish, but interruptions (and me being rather vulnerable to distractions today, for whatever reason...) kept it from being finished 'till now.

Anywho, what sort of TV(s) do y'all have? Anything worth bragging about?

add a fruit of choice, and mix in a bit of brandy for the real sangria.
Then what the hell have I been drinking this past week? First I've ever heard of adding to it.

SSBfreakCK said:
Anywho, what sort of TV(s) do y'all have? Anything worth bragging about?
I've used the same TV for over a decade and do not plan on changing that.

Today's post was lost; forgot to post it earlier, and Firefox crashed while I slept. =/ I'll be re-writing it soon.

Then what the hell have I been drinking this past week? First I've ever heard of adding to it.

Ah, so you drink? Another random funfact 'bout WiiAssasin revealed. I might explode with excitement.

I've used the same TV for over a decade and do not plan on changing that.

No point in replacing what's more than good enough as is. My personal TV's also at least a decade old. Probably gonna end up dieing on me soon...

December 21st

Today, we've got a good six holidays.

Hamburger Day
Kiwi Fruit Day
Forefathers' Day
National Homeless Persons' Remembrance Day
Winter Solstice
Humbug Day

Hamburger Day celebrates this beef-starring sammich we all know and love. While the burger we know today hasn't existed for all-that long, minced beef has been consumed by the rich as a rare delicacy as long ago as the 15th century. A sandwich with beef first appeared near the end of the 19th century; however, quite a few sources claim to of been the first to pioneer this, so there's no concrete evidence who created the first real American burger. Two decades or so later, Walter Anderson invented the burger bun hamburgers are known for; five years later, he also co-founded White Castle, the restaurant being the first to sell burgers en masse. 'Merica's passion for burgers from then on was history, what with McDonalds showing up another two decades later.

Kiwi Fruit Day celebrates the Kiwi, a delicious fruit of Chinese origin with some crazy ****ing names. To name a few, you've got the "hairy bush" fruit, and the "Chinese dick weed" fruit. :lol: There're very few foods I'll eat with the kiwi as the star flavor, but for whatever reason, I enjoy 'em plain far more. So who wants a kiwi burger?! :D

Forefathers' Day celebrates the landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, Massachusetts back in 1620. We all (should) know that Pilgrims came to the New World in search of religious freedom; that is true. But what most people don't know, is that these Brownist English people fled to Holland in search of religious freedom, and then elected to go to the New World in fear of losing their cultural identity among all the other Holland-goers who fled there for religious freedom as well. Thus, these people asked Englishmen interested in investing towards the colonization of the New World if they would be the ones to populate and establish said colonies. Business was business, and the first Pilgrim colonies were born, starting on the day this holiday celebrates.

National Homeless Persons' Remembrance Day is the day to remember those who've been screwed out of a home for whatever reason. With today's piss-poor economy, the amount of homeless is gettin' higher and higher... But, to be honest, I'm less concerned 'bout the homeless of 'Merica. Beggars can make more than we do in a day, and some people actually choose to be homeless here for that reason; or even worse, pretend to be homeless... ****ing despicable, no?

Today is Winter Solstice; the shortest day and longest night of the year, due to any given planet's axial tilt causing it's polar hemisphere to be tilted the farthest away from it's sun as possible. Being that this is science on a solar system level, the day isn't always the 21st, but usually occurs between the 21st and 23rd of December. After tonight, days will be slowly gettin' longer and nights shorter... sadface. ;_; My love of the night aside, quite a few cultural holidays of olde tend to fall on winter solstice, so it used to actually be an important day.

Humbug Day; baaaaahhhh, humbug... I never was one for commercialized holidays, so starting today, I can mope around about how much I hate Christmas! =D ... Or that is what I'd do if I was still a complete and utter scrooge. So instead, I'll take this day to rage at how THIS CHRISTMAS ISN'T ****ING WHITE ARGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Damn you memory and Mozilla, conspiring together to make me write this twice... =/

December 22nd

Today, we've got four holidays; as well as a rather "special" fifth.

Wiichat's Change Your Avatar Into a Fire Emblem .Gif Day
National Date Nut Bread Day
Ann & Samantha Day
National Haiku Poetry Day
Yule

Wiichat's Change Your Avatar Into a Fire Emblem .Gif Day is the day to express your love for that epic strategy RPG series Fire Emblem. Change your avatar to your .gif of choice for exactly 24 hours; give or take if the amount of time doesn't work for you (nobody will complain for the avatar change if it stays for a few extra hours). Google and FEPlanet will serve you well for this purpose. Do NOT use a .gif already picked by another person. Credit to Mr. MR for the name, credit for the officialization of the day goes to me. :D

National Date Nut Bread Day: dates, delicious. Nut bread, amazing when fresh. Combine the two for a sub-category holiday that can GTFO...

Ann & Samantha Day is a holiday of commemoration taking place on Winter Solstice and Summer Solstice, celebrating the two youngins Anne Frank and Samantha Smith. Both are writers of amazingly powerful pieces that touched the hearts of many, both are victims of deaths in their youth they simply could not of deserved. I've read 'em both way back when as a kid, and even in the face of Fire Emblem, I have to give this my holiday pick of the day.

National Haiku Day is the day to write your own Haiku, a time honored poetical tradition from Japan. While the old version of Haiku was rather complex and only the most seasoned of literature-raised poets could create good ones, the modern Haiku (especially the foreign version) is easy enough for anyone to write. If you're srs 'bout writing a modern Haiku, here ya go. If you don't care 'bout the finer points, just pay attention to the syllable rules in step 3 and get to it. For those who don't know, the Wapanese in my signature's spoiler is Haiku. If you're curious what it says, Google translate is your friend.

Yule is a festive celebration that existed before Christmas; Xmas takes quite a bit of inspiration from it, actually. Yule is an incredibly old, pagan festival celebrated on/around Winter Solstice, primarily by Germanic people. However, a lot of the details seem to be sketchy... Can't really make heads or tails of it myself. =/ Read 'bout it all here.

Anyone besides me deeply disturbed the 'Karp mod is only half 'Karp for a day?

Last edited:
December 23rd

Today, we've got a solid six holidays.

Pfeffernüsse Day
Wrap It Up Day
Festivus
Humanlight Celebration
The Emperor's Birthday
Night of the Radishes

If anyone knows what Pfeffernüsse Day celebrates, I'd be impressed. The pfeffernuesse is simply a type of Dutch biscuit, often including nuts. Before Christmas and Sinterklaas were one and the same, these were often eaten on the latter holiday. Though, unless you deviate from the original recipe's simplicity, these aren't anything delicious to boast about.

Wrap It Up Day is the day to wrap up all your gifts 'n ****; or, how about no. Last year, half of the paper used by the US was wrapping paper for holidays year round. HALF! What a ****ing waste! I'm no tree hugging environmentalist, but even I believe that to be despicable. Be a cheap asshole and use newspaper in the name of recycling, or just throw a bow on your gifts and everyone can be happy... Or you can still using wrapping stuff, I won't judge ya. :p But just sayin'. And on that note, this holiday gets a hippie-fueled GTFO.

Festivus; a holiday Seinfeld fans and commercial holiday-haters can hold in high regard alike. I particularly enjoy the Airing of Grievances. Either way, one needs no holly jolly nor religion to celebrate Festivus, so get buying that Festivus pole (they really do sell 'em, you know...), and have a merry Festivus! =D My holiday pick of the day, without a doubt.

Humanlight Celebration commemorates the values of Humanism, also with the intention of not pissing off any religions holiday-goers.

... Festivus is better.

The Emperor's Birthday celebrates the birthday of Japan's current emperor; simple as that. Being only one of two days that the public allowed to enter the gates of the Imperial Palace, Japan's civilians do tend to give a damn 'bout this day. Also, considering the Emperor is no longer of divine right/monarch power and status, I don't have to rant about how this is propaganda for brainwashing or anything. Grand!

Night of the Radishes (my source called it feast instead of night... YOU ALMOST MADE ME COMMIT A STUPID, DAMN YOU!), or Noche de Rábanos, celebrates... Well, I don't even know anything besides it began in 1897. It's only celebrated in Oaxaca (the capital of the territory Oaxaca; yes, they have the same name) as far as I know. It's name comes from the fact that professional sculptors use giant radishes to make art. Alongside said sculpting, dance, nativity scenes, fireworks and parties in general follow.

... It's hardly Festivus without snow. =/

December 24th

On this Christmas eve, we've got three holidays and one birthday.

Egg Nog Day
Independence Day (Libya)
Peace Day
Howard Hughes' Birthday

You would think Egg Nog Day would be on Christmas, but nope. Personally, I was never a fan of the stuff spiked, and even less of a fan when it wasn't. Regardless of my personal tastes, if you've the ingredients, you should look for an egg nog recipe and make it yourself. Much better fresh (the only time I'd enjoy it), and since store-bought egg nog can't use raw eggs as tradition calls, you're definitely better off making your own. You can mix your booze of choice in while making it for better results too, rather than just dumping it in your average unspiked nog. Oh, and for any of y'all concerned 'bout drinking something with raw eggs in it, the alchohol helps make that safe 'n such.

Libya's Independence Day celebrates the same date in 1951 when they gained their freedom from Italy. Here's an interestin' funfact: Gaddafi, for whatever retarded reason, banned this independence day. Whether he intended to be a tyrant from the beginning and wanted to make freedom the least of his people's worries or he was a Mussolini fan, I have no clue...

Peace Day celebrates the day in 1968 when James Lovell, William Anders and Frank Borman finally reached the moon; yep, the goal of Apollo 8 was reached. After circling the moon ten times, they read bible verses on live TV airing throughout most of the world; and more importantly, wishing there to be peace on earth, everywhere on earth. We've already had World Peace day, but this holiday actually means something, so no need for a GTFO.

Howard Robard Hughes, Jr.; a man among men if I've never seen one. He's made epic movies like The Outlaw and Scarface (SAY 'ELLO TO MAH LI'L FRIEN'!). He was also an amazing aviation pilot, breaking multiple time trial records, like flying around the world in 91 hours (this was in 1838; that's crazy). He also designed the speedy planes he used being both quite the engineer and being a rich mother****er from the movies he made a decade and a half ago. He also survived multiple near-fatal aviation accidents like a boss. You'd think this guy had it all if it wasn't for the fact he had some mental disorders and such; notably a ridiculously acute case of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Wasn't the most jolly guy to work with at times either; it was possible he was bi-polar on top of the OCD. But he was still a boss regardless of these shortcomings. His riches certainly do the talking in that regard...

Watch, there'l be a million holidays on Christmas... -_-'

Last edited:
Back