The testimony of a nerd: How's this for a "life"

Leviathan said:
You know some of the intresting people I know are nerds or geeks or whatever, 'cos nerd is jus' a tag people stick on smart people who don't conform to other social groups, and I think Ill stick with intellectual individuals than mindless sheep.

If that's the definition of "nerd" then I'm definitely one (although unusally for a nerd, I don't know much about computers) and I'm happy about it, 'cos at least I'm enjoying myself rather than doing a dull job and going home to watch tedious soaps and reality TV all evening. I study astrophysics, watch science fiction and play RPGs, and that somehow makes me weird. But that's other peoples' problem. I'm happy being who I want to be and not what society expects me to be. Marisa's philosophy sums up my outlook on life perfectly: "There is but one goal in life, and that is to be as happy as possible, with only one exception: This happiness cannot interfere with another beings state of happiness." It's odd that a lot of people don't seem to want to be happy.

The stereotype that nerds are social recluses with no life is completely untrue. On the contrary, In fact I've found that nerds tend to make better friends, because they're more reliable and friendly and they don't pressure you as much. They make for much more interesting conversations and debates too.

I wanted to do Astrophysics (It was an optional module) but the only physics teacher who taught it left... so I'll probably do applied physics and nuclear instability :(

Oh and about pressuring you, my mates have been hasseling me to organize are next D&D session*, but I've been to busy doing a project on malaria.

*The downside of being a GM and having to come up with adventures is however more than made up for by the look on there face when you tell them their elf bard failed his check, fell into the fire, was rendered unconscious and is now suffering 1D6 + 1 damage a turn...

Darkprinny said:

If you don't have the mental capacity nor the vocabulary to take in the information, then don't spam my thread with your immature and mindless junk. Thanks.

Napalmbrain said:
If that's the definition of "nerd" then I'm definitely one (although unusally for a nerd, I don't know much about computers) and I'm happy about it, 'cos at least I'm enjoying myself rather than doing a dull job and going home to watch tedious soaps and reality TV all evening. I study astrophysics, watch science fiction and play RPGs, and that somehow makes me weird. But that's other peoples' problem. I'm happy being who I want to be and not what society expects me to be. Marisa's philosophy sums up my outlook on life perfectly: "There is but one goal in life, and that is to be as happy as possible, with only one exception: This happiness cannot interfere with another beings state of happiness." It's odd that a lot of people don't seem to want to be happy.

The stereotype that nerds are social recluses with no life is completely untrue. On the contrary, In fact I've found that nerds tend to make better friends, because they're more reliable and friendly and they don't pressure you as much. They make for much more interesting conversations and debates too.

Exactly, there's no shame in what you study or do. If anything, we have funner lives then those who are trendy and popular. Even if we don't have 15 friends, we do have those 3 or 4 friends that we keep for a lifetime.

The entire point of my thread was to encourage nerds that we're not weird social outcasts. We just prefer to be happy and if being weird means being happy then, bring it on. We're not "afraid" of hanging out or being around other people. Just because we prefer a smaller crowd of intimate friends or a larger crowd of gamers does not mean we're socially retarded.

Go nerds! :p

~Marisa~ said:
If you don't have the mental capacity nor the vocabulary to take in the information, then don't spam my thread with your immature and mindless junk. Thanks.

~Marisa~ said:
Even if we don't have 15 friends, we do have those 3 or 4 friends that we keep for a lifetime.

Yes, that is soooo true. Friends are not about quantity, but quality.

"Popular" people have so many friends that only know what their favorite car or how much their parents give them per month, instead of what they want to do in life, which, if you ask these "popular" people, whom by the way are usually only popular in high school, they have no idea because all they care about is how they look to others.

Also, these "popular" generally have so many friends because they need to feel secure and/or want the ability to beat people up who differ from them, either physically or emotionally, to give them a since of control and superiority.

After high school, they generally learn the hard way that being popular was a real waste of their time as well as everyone whom they put down.

NateTheGreat said:
Yes, that is soooo true. Friends are not about quantity, but quality.

"Popular" people have so many friends that only know what their favorite car or how much their parents give them per month, instead of what they want to do in life, which, if you ask these "popular" people, whom by the way are usually only popular in high school, they have no idea because all they care about is how they look to others.

Also, these "popular" generally have so many friends because they need to feel secure and/or want the ability to beat people up who differ from them, either physically or emotionally, to give them a since of control and superiority.

After high school, they generally learn the hard way that being popular was a real waste of their time as well as everyone whom they put down.
That was deep...and so true. Very well said. In my old school there was one kid who bragged about everything, how rich he was, how he got all the latest games etc. And he had everyone over him just cuz he gave them things, while I got the 3 best friends in the world which I still have now.

ssbb_lover said:
That was deep...and so true. Very well said. In my old school there was one kid who bragged about everything, how rich he was, how he got all the latest games etc. And he had everyone over him just cuz he gave them things, while I got the 3 best friends in the world which I still have now.
Thanks and yeah, I've had the same two friends, Ben and Will, since elementary school. It's funny how that works out; you think you're always going to be friends with someone when you're young and then 10, 15 years pass, and amazingly, your relationships have grown even stronger.

What I'm not a nerd! Just because I love Star Wars and know that Vergre tought Jacen Solo and Anakin Skywalker that there is no Light or Dark side of the Force in the New Jedi Order series, or that my knowledge of the Clone Wars could rival my knowledge of World War II, or that I love Monty Python and the Holy Grail, or that I'd prefer to be comfortable indoors than spend the day at a fair, or that I'm a graphic artist...

*Clears throat*

Er...well...I seem to be contradicting myself. ^_^'

I don't embrace my nerd side since I dislike stereotyping. I have many other sides to me. For instance: I'm a lineman in football, a drummer, and thespian. I'm certainly not the brightest bulb in the box, and am absent-minded and forgetful. What I'm trying to say is that I have more than one side, and would probably kick the crud out of the next person at school who tries to fit me in a category. Though I'm not the best person socially, I do get along with almost everyone.

I'm getting nowhere with this post. I'll stop now. ^_^'

No you definitely got somewhere, Kalimar. I don't think of myself or any of my friends as in a certain pigion hole. Most of my friends are democrats who all like playing games (boys and girls), listening to 70s, but we don't have identical views on everything, which I do see in a lot of "popular" people, mostly because those type of people, consumed with social image and materialism, never really say what they're about, but instead what they have or want next.

Even having said that, I know they are more complex than that. For example, something that totally shocked me in this past year of school was how many guys I would normally call jerk jocks, were really intelligent! The guy I sat next to in Biology was a wrestler, yet he could retain and knew soo much about each subject we went over, I was sometimes copying off him (mainly because he worked so amazingly fast, where I usually take my time so I don't make a mistake)! Another strange breed of person are that of the republican stoner. These guys in my English class were all about the 70s, reading things like Bob Dylan's Biography, turning me on to bands like Jefferson Airplane, and constantly wispering about getting a new stash, yet they like Bush, are religious and war hawks!?

It's weird how people contradict themsleves, but it's nice they aren't complete extremists, like their parents.

NateTheGreat said:
No you definitely got somewhere, Kalimar. I don't think of myself or any of my friends as in a certain pigion hole. Most of my friends are democrats who all like playing games (boys and girls), listening to 70s, but we don't have identical views on everything, which I do see in a lot of "popular" people, mostly because those type of people, consumed with social image and materialism, never really say what they're about, but instead what they have or want next.

Even having said that, I know they are more complex than that. For example, something that totally shocked me in this past year of school was how many guys I would normally call jerk jocks, were really intelligent! The guy I sat next to in Biology was a wrestler, yet he could retain and knew soo much about each subject we went over, I was sometimes copying off him (mainly because he worked so amazingly fast, where I usually take my time so I don't make a mistake)! Another strange breed of person are that of the republican stoner. These guys in my English class were all about the 70s, reading things like Bob Dylan's Biography, turning me on to bands like Jefferson Airplane, and constantly wispering about getting a new stash, yet they like Bush, are religious and war hawks!?

It's weird how people contradict themsleves, but it's nice they aren't complete extremists, like their parents.

Exactly! Us nerds have so much to us. We're intricately weaved and, regardless of societys belief that we're all anti-social and weird, we all have such amazing personalities. That's totally the point I was trying to get across. We may have things in common, like the love of games, movies and comics/magazines etc...but we all have our own beliefs, group of friends, and goals in life. We are all just as capable as partying or becoming a world dominator :p Muhahaha...*Ahem* Yeah...anyways....

It's amazing how people can suprise you. I.E., you may think a "slutty" stuck up girl in your school is a ***** and then get to know her and loe and behold she's a virgin with a strong sense of values and does charity work on the side. It all proves that people aren't as they appear to be and just because we're "nerds" does not mean we're creatures foreign to the idea of a "life"....

Lol charity work
This one does helps out at a local church (wihle not wareing a iron maiden/acdc/black sabbath tshirt)
but as for frends dont like people (mutch) rather be on own

Kalimar said:
I don't embrace my nerd side since I dislike stereotyping. I have many other sides to me. For instance: I'm a lineman in football, a drummer, and thespian. I'm certainly not the brightest bulb in the box, and am absent-minded and forgetful. What I'm trying to say is that I have more than one side, and would probably kick the crud out of the next person at school who tries to fit me in a category. Though I'm not the best person socially, I do get along with almost everyone.

I'm getting nowhere with this post. I'll stop now. ^_^'

Stereotypes don't exisit as such anymore, like I like to play computor games but I do sport like every day of the week. Its like no longer is a Nerd someone who lives in his/her parents basment, disscuissing star treck online, playing RPG's all day etc. its like the stereotype image has been broken but society doesn't seem to have noticed and still refers to someone intellgient, who palys computor games and chats online as a nerd and assumes that that's all he/she does.

Lol @ Darkprinny pictures. Hehe, love Azumanga and Dogma.

I would consider myself more "indie" in lifestyle*, but I suppose I can be called a nerd (if anyone from the UK actually used the phrase). Hehe. I even have the glasses for it. I have the intellect (indeed, my encyclopedic knowledge of films carried me through my Media and Film studies - got the results yesterday. A for Media and B for film). I hear what you're saying about the entire thing. It seems other people look down on others to make themselves feel better. Even in films, the nerds are mostly made fun of/accentuated features.

*I say "indie" because I pick and choose what I like regardless of how it's seen. I like gaming, I'm smart (when it comes to films/games/general media) and I love it when people reference things I know (like Spaced). Oh, and I like Sci-Fi, and wonder how plausable some of the stories in sci-fi shows are.

P.S. I do get what you mean, and my sympathies lie with you. *growls at those that puts down nerds/gamers and generally other people*.

P.S.S. Is it nerdy to download The Firm's Star Trekkin' music video? [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GA1zCH0tvc[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
Why do i always find these threads when im just about to goto sleep (1:51am here).

Replying to this thread is priority numero uno tomorrow morning!

Back