The USA bought NTSC Wii is very interlaced

WiiWiiWii1

WiiChat Member
Feb 12, 2009
I've recently got a Wii console which was bought in the USA - which means that it uses the NTSC format.

I'm still not sure what are the exact differences between the NTSC and PAL formats, but I know that the NTSC quality is not as good as the PAL's.

The format where I live is PAL.

I've simply connected it to the TV (regular resolution) and it works and shows the picture, but the quality is not very good and the picture looks very "scanlined".

I've checked in the Wikipedia's specifications, and it showed that even though the 480i (interlaced) format is only for the NTSC console, both the PAL and NTSC ones are supposed to have 480p (progressive) format.
There's another one that they've called "576i" which seems to be only for PAL and SECAM, but I don't know what this format is.

I went into the Wii's screen settings, and I had the two options of 480i and 480p.

The 480i was obbviously the one used, but when I wanted to switch it I couldn't because the 480p format was grayed out.

Why is it grayed out and how can I fix it? Because the interlacing seems to greatly reduce the picture's quality and make it more buggy and uneven.

Thanks in advance.

you need the 'high def' cables foor access to 480p. i thnk their called component. (i get component & composite confused.)

Rukus is correct, you need component cables connected in order to choose the 480p option. But... why would you get an NTSC Wii if you live in a PAL region? That's gonna cause problems for you when you try to play games bought in your region...

They've checked in the store and that was the only version they got.

But, what are the differences between NTSC and PAL? I've seen somewhere that it's something about resolution, color and Hz, but I didn't really get it.
How can the resolution be different if many programs are being imported from different countries and mostly cameras are the same and use the same types of resolution?

And what would be the improvement if I'll use the component cables in comparison to my currently interlaced output? And after changing to progressive - will there be a difference between the NTSC's output and the PAL type output?

And a few other questions - I was searching through a comparison site, and I found many different cable with different prices. How can I know which one to choose?

And it also gave me a result of that Nintendo's USB WI-FI (which's I guess like other WI-FI USBs... I forgot their name), and I found two different ones under different categories, that according to the images are supposed to be the same Nintendo's item, but the price is very different -

One costs about (while converting the currencies) a little less than 100$, and another one, which might be the same item, but I can't be sure, costs about 65$.

Is any of these prices seems normal? (it's hard to tell as eveything in here costs more than in the US, but if it's the same thing the difference is too confusing)

And just two more small questions:

I got 2 remotes (the one that came with the console and another seperate one), but only one "Nunchuk".

I can guess that one should be enough for the long games that require it and aren't really for multiplayer, but lets say about the boxing game - what can you do when only one Nunchuk is available and you want to play with two different remotes?

And is this "Nyko" recharger and batteries are fine to use?
Because I've read in Wikipedia that Nintendo doesn't make their own rechargers, and that only one third party one, of "Sanyo", was approved by them.

I got this Nyko thing. I didn't really check it yet, but I think that it has a two places charger and rechargable batteries (and a fan, for some reason?), is it safe to use?
I've seen that the Wikipedia Wii article uses a Nyko recharger picture in it, but just to be sure.

Last edited:
They've checked in the store and that was the only version they got.

But, what are the differences between NTSC and PAL? I've seen somewhere that it's something about resolution, color and Hz, but I didn't really get it.
How can the resolution be different if many programs are being imported from different countries and mostly cameras are the same and use the same types of resolution?

Wikipedia will probably answer this better than anyone else here could. The main difference is that because the Wii is region locked, if you have an NTSC Wii you will have to buy NTSC games for it (or do something illegal).

And what would be the improvement if I'll use the component cables in comparison to my currently interlaced output? And after changing to progressive - will there be a difference between the NTSC's output and the PAL type output?

Wikipedia.

And a few other questions - I was searching through a comparison site, and I found many different cable with different prices. How can I know which one to choose?

If it were me, I would choose the official Nintendo branded one. I bought them for $35.

And it also gave me a result of that Nintendo's USB WI-FI (which's I guess like other WI-FI USBs... I forgot their name), and I found two different ones under different categories, that according to the images are supposed to be the same Nintendo's item, but the price is very different -

One costs about (while converting the currencies) a little less than 100$, and another one, which might be the same item, but I can't be sure, costs about 65$.

Are any of these prices seem normal? (it's hard to tell as eveything in here costs more than in the US, but if it's the same thing the difference is too confusing)

The Nintendo USB Wifi adapter has been discontinued. I recommend you seek an alternative connection type like a wireless router or Wii LAN adapter. However, to answer your question, the USB Wifi adapter shouldn't cost more than $40.

Well, they might still have the retail items in stock, but anyway, as I said, almost everything here is almost twice as in the USA.

And I didn't speak about the region thing, but about the transmition type. I know that NTSC is supposed to be inferior in quality, but I didn't really got the diffrences, as well for that difference between 480i to 480p (but I can guess that it should be pretty much better as currently I can see a lot of scanlines in the output).

And I didn't understand what this "LAN adapter" is.
Is it supposed to be a converter or something like that from a regular ethernet connection (like a PC is connected to) into the Wii's port?

And I didn't understand what this "LAN adapter" is.
Is it supposed to be a converter or something like that from a regular ethernet connection (like a PC is connected to) into the Wii's port?

The LAN (Local Area Network) adapter allows your Wii to connect as a network device via Ethernet cable into a hub or router. The Wii has a built in Wireless ethernet adapter.

Hub

No... I know that it connects to the ethernet, but I've asked that if I don't have a WI-FI, what would the "LAN adapter" do?

I mean, you have in comparison a regular PC's ethernet port, like most people probably know, which's connected from to the PC with a wire.

So this Wii adapter, is it something else for the Wii that is supposed to connect the Wii into this kind of an ethernet port, or that I might have something else that would work like it and I can make use of? Or maybe that it's not even supposed to be connected to an ethernet port and it works in a different way?

No... I know that it connects to the ethernet, but I've asked that if I don't have a WI-FI, what would the "LAN adapter" do?

I mean, you have in comparison a regular PC's ethernet port, like most people probably know, which's connected from to the PC with a wire.

So this Wii adapter, is it something else for the Wii that is supposed to connect the Wii into this kind of an ethernet port, or that I might have something else that would work like it and I can make use of? Or maybe that it's not even supposed to be connected to an ethernet port and it works in a different way?

It is no different to a PC's Ethernet port. It is a Local Area Connection to use with a Wired Hub/Router. It uses Cat5 Cable just like all other LAN connections.

Well, I don't really know what "cat5" is, but if it's like a regular PC connection, does it mean that I can use a standard cable or that the Wii's port is still different?

Because I've only seen them keep mentioning their own products and I didn't hear if there are other alternatives.

And something about the component cables - I've looked in the comparison website, and I only saw one result which's calimed to be the official Nintendo cables.

Are they really needed or that I can use other component cables (to use with 480p) for the Wii? Because the "original" ones were about 50% more expensive than other results.

Well, I don't really know what "cat5" is, but if it's like a regular PC connection, does it mean that I can use a standard cable or that the Wii's port is still different?

Okay.. Cat5... Category 5 Ethernet Cable, Standard in all forms.

Because I've only seen them keep mentioning their own products and I didn't hear if there are other alternatives.

The LAN adapter is made by Nintendo for the Wii. There are third party makers that make one. Just buy a $40 wireless router and be done with it.

And something about the component cables - I've looked in the comparison website, and I only saw one result which's calimed to be the official Nintendo cables.

Are they really needed or that I can use other component cables (to use with 480p) for the Wii? Because the "original" ones were about 50% more expensive than other results.

Componet cables are required to get 480p, which is only slightly better than 480i. By the way, 480 anthing is NOT High Defenition. The wii will not allow you to choose the 480p option in the menu without that cable. You can
buy the Nintendo one or buy a 3rd party cable, ther are pleanty out there. I use the Psyclone one because I got it at half the price of the nintendo one.

Also make sure whatever you are hoking this to has component hookups.. They will be Red, Green, and Blue RCA inputs.

Hub

Last edited:
Yeah, I know that it's not HD, but because the version I got is the NTSC one, it currently uses the interlaced output (and after I'll add the cables for progressive output, will there be a quality diffrence between the NTSC and the PAL?). And I meant about a case if it won't detect it correctly or that the cables might be in a lower quality than Nintendo's?

And about the internet, I'd prefer a wired internet, and anyway as currently I got a wired router, all of the computers lack a wireless connectivity.

But I meant to do Wii's own connection. I don't see where its internet port is so I can't tell.

But if I'll put it near a wired ethernet port, what kind of connector the Wii itself needs? Will a regular PC one connect to the Wii?

Yeah, I know that it's not HD, but because the version I got is the NTSC one, it currently uses the interlaced output (and after I'll add the cables for progressive output, will there be a quality diffrence between the NTSC and the PAL?). And I meant about a case if it won't detect it correctly or that the cables might be in a lower quality than Nintendo's?

No you do not have to use Nintendo's cable. Can't speak for PAL questions.

And about the internet, I'd prefer a wired internet, and anyway as currently I got a wired router, all of the computers lack a wireless connectivity.

Then buy the LAN adapter. It is USB and plugs into the port on the back.

But I meant to do Wii's own connection. I don't see where its internet port is so I can't tell.

See above

But if I'll put it near a wired ethernet port, what kind of connector the Wii itself needs? Will a regular PC one connect to the Wii?

Regular PC what? Cable to your router? If so Yes.

I don't know about "to the router", but as I said, I have the router at one computer and all of the other connections are obviously throw the ethernet.

And I can see those USB connections, but why there are to of them?

And does the computer cables also use a USB connection so I might be able to fit in another cable, or that only Nintendo uses that?

Ok, here's a product I've found which's not of Nintendo.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=133

Is this basically what's needed? Should it work?
(and by the way, what the hell is "10/100mbit"? What is this 10? Because 10 mega-bits sounds pretty crappy [my internet is slower than 10mb, but in general for USB connections)

Back