Things The Ds Is Missing

crazymonkey360

Crazymonkey360
Jul 24, 2006
California
I Sold My Gameboy Color, My Gameboy Advance, And My Gameboy Advance Sp To Save Up For A Ds And A Couple Of Games Thinking That The DS Could Play All The Games Of Every Gameboy Before It. When I Bought It I Tried Sticking An Old Zelda Game From The Gameboy Color And It Wouldnt Fit. Do You Think The DS Should've Been Able To Play Gameboy and Gameboy color games? I Now Know That if It Were Able to play these games it would probably be bulkier than it already is. and im talking about the original ds not the cooler ds lite

yes, all DS's needed to be completely backward combatible. i tried to put in an old GB game and it didnt work:(so i just use my SP for GB games. i still want it to work in my DS.

Well I think theyre creating some cards maybe called super cards that will contain all the GB retro games

Even just a gba thing like the ereader that you can put your old games in.

Or theres emu via the gba slot
but you need a flash cart to do it

yeah that kinda sucks that it not completely backwards compatible like the last game boys before it but ah well

I was really ticked of since my GBC is dead, and i bought a ds hoping it could play my gb games, (wich it could not :( ) then we got a gba, but i'm still ticked off about the backwards suport. a well...

Last edited:
Its harder to physically design a backward compatible cartridge system because as the technology changes, the interface for the cartridges will change. Kinda like how DDR works on 184 pin and ddr2 works on 240 pin. And as more data is needed on a cartridge game, they may become bulkier or differently shaped. Configuring a cartridge slot in a handheld to fit all these different types of cartridges would just get bulky. Then again, ive never owned a handheld (except sega gamegear which i sledom played) so I dont know - but Im considering buying a DS.

phiggey said:
Its harder to physically design a backward compatible cartridge system because as the technology changes, the interface for the cartridges will change. Kinda like how DDR works on 184 pin and ddr2 works on 240 pin. And as more data is needed on a cartridge game, they may become bulkier or differently shaped. Configuring a cartridge slot in a handheld to fit all these different types of cartridges would just get bulky. Then again, ive never owned a handheld (except sega gamegear which i sledom played) so I dont know - but Im considering buying a DS.

That's not entirely correct, the gba does play on a ds, and the gbc doesn't even thouh they have almost identical cartridges, nintendo didn't make it backwards compatible because they would need an extra coprocessor wich older gb games need to run.:rolleyes:

most of you should still realise that the ds is just a by product of nintendos handeld gaming. Didnt you ever wonder why there still selling GBA games and not focusing on the ds alone
The next gameboy (code name, gameboy evolution) will hopefully be fully backwards compatable if possible.
(it would be great if ds games were included too!)

Back