Those with Wii's

The controlers are much more smaller in real life then the pictures you see on the internet. They are a nice size, I think they are perfect, just a lot smaller then all the pictures on the internet made them out to be.

I'm not tryin' to be racist here, but I'm pretty sure the hands they have holding the Wiimotes in commercial photographs and such are the hands belonging to a person with an asian ethnic origin.

Just trying to bring up a discussion. But yeah there've been a few people that are stating surprise at the wiimotes compact size. Excellent imo, it'll be good just to bundle it into my bag and take it to a mates house.

The box is a lot more heavy then I thought, yes the controller is a lot smaller and so is the nunchuck. Screw all those negative reviews on wii sports boxing, it owns.

yea bpxing kicks ass haha so fun. wiisports is awesome. im having an awesome time with it. playing it with my parents (thats a first in my life). zelda is amazing. redsteel the controls are a likl off i think, or maybe im not used to them yet, but should be a good game once i get into it.

For me, everything on the Wii is REALLY loud on my tv compared to tv stations and whatnot. Otherwise I'm very happy so far.

EDIT: I am annoyed that weather, news, and internet aren't available yet, but I'm sure they'll be up soon.

Baloras

Box was heavy but everything is tiny and light.

I agree, the sound is a little on the loud side... maybe a future update can allow us to change the volume right from the Wiimote, rather than adjusting it from the tv.

Wiisports is great! I love playing all the games it has so far, and playing multiplayer makes it even more worthwhile. I can't wait to get some MP going on Redsteel! Unfortunately that may take a while, the tru I preordered from ran out of nunckucks, at least I got an extra Wiimote, so I'm happy about that.

I agree though, although it takes some getting used to in Redsteel, the controls should be fixed up a little (hopefully with some software upgrade) as it seems to lose focus easily, after sword battles mostly, the cursor spins the character in circles. What I find corrects this pretty quick, is shaking the Wiimote up and down, and that seems to force the unit to recalibrate (user is telling the Wii to focus is I'm assuming).

I heard a lot of bad things about the Wii, but i never doubted it for a minute. i waited in line for 18 hours to get it and after playing it, i know i would do it all again. IT IS AWSOME!!!!

Well I got my wii and I have to say before going to get one (which was at 10 a.m) people was saying bad thing about it, but my work great the controls are really good and I'm really not just saying that. The interface is topnotch, I believe most people will get the feeling OMG just what do the Big N have in store for us. I do have TP and the story really drags you in, you really wouldn't want the controls NO other way kudos to you nintendo. I am sorry about those who got defective systems I got a 360 like that once, took it back and when on a search for another one found it and been happy with it since. Oh! I can play both systems 360 and wii at the same time using my internet connection.

BlightedArt said:
I'm not tryin' to be racist here, but I'm pretty sure the hands they have holding the Wiimotes in commercial photographs and such are the hands belonging to a person with an asian ethnic origin.

Just trying to bring up a discussion. But yeah there've been a few people that are stating surprise at the wiimotes compact size. Excellent imo, it'll be good just to bundle it into my bag and take it to a mates house.

Personally, I don't count noting scientific facts about racial differences as racism :lol:.

You're probably right!

Let me give you a personal review, and I'll try to be unbiased as possible, but my excitement is still likely to show through.

Currently, after receiving my wii at midnight with a close friend who also got one and picking up my copy of redsteel and Zelda, I went on a journey for some extra controllers. I didn't expect to have such a problem getting some.. the best I found were stores with the main remote but no nunchuck, useless for many games since most do need nunchuck.

After setting it up, here is my personal opinion:

The Console: It's light, and as small as everyone has been saying it was. The sleek design looks pretty good, and I have a hard time visualizing the wii without the stand. It's light, but seems sturdy built, no surprise though as we are talking about a nintendo product. I opened the flaps and took a look at the cables, even though you SHOULD, you don't have to handle it with the delicate care you would a more fragile tool, like the psp or an expensive digital camera ect. Everything seems sturdy.

The Wiimote: As with the gamecube controller, it feels...right. No big deal, although a small thing, making controllers comfortable in the end prevent a lot of people from being pissed. The giant xbox controller and the strange boomerang ps3 controller are proof. (Not bashing here, sorry if it sounds like it, after all both controllers were nicely fixed.) But making something as strange as the wiimote feel natural... would be hard I'd assume. You don't feel awkward holding it, even if using it may take a while to get used to. The buttons feel well placed and natural, which is evident in gameplay, which I will talk about a bit later.

The top of the remote is made of a glossy material, kind of like the psp and ps3 body, which is personally annoying. Grease, fingerprints, and smears are drawn like moths to a flame. Not a big deal, but it bothers me a tad. The rest of the remote is a nice smooth plastic that doesn't smear as easily. The cable to the nunchuck is sturdy, I tested it out a bit out of fear of a flimsy design to I could warn my friends who got... too into the games.

Its sturdy, and connectors fits snugly and securely, enough that I don't bother worrying it breaking from anything but mr. t ripping it apart. The controllers come with a strap, and just about every game warns you to keep the strap on out of caution, and there's no damn reason not to. It doesn't limit movement at all, and can save you cash in cash of a accidental drop. The strap also seems really sturdy!

The sensor bar doesn't stand out, and it seems sturdy as well, something else I was worried about. The stand is brilliant, and I'm glad it was added, as "stupid" as it is.

Overall, the system seems built to last, and leaks compact power.

The software:
Wii channels are simple, efficient (mostly) and nice to look at. Clean comes to mind as a descriptive term. The Mii channel is amusing, and I was quickly threatened by my mob of friends to allow everyone to make a mii, and we had a blast doing so. The mii system is set up in a very amusing ways, things like arranging your mii's are done in a cool way rather then a simple efficient button, which some may just shrug off and be unimpressed by. I myself find small little things like this add up to an interesting whole, and mii channel is full of them making a simple thing pretty fun. From what I've read, the potential for mii channel is amazing, and hopefully it will be put to good use in the future! You'll enjoy making a mii likely, its one of those small stupid things that make you smile, and me and my friends enjoyed it.

I didn't have pictures, so I just looked at the picture channel briefly. I downloaded mario 64 after setting up my wii for online play, which was simple and fast. The wii updated itself without much problems, took me to wii shopping channel, and after buying some points I was playing mario 64 without a problem.

The message board was pretty cool, I registered two other wii's that belonged to my friends, and we spent a good half hour insulting each other and passing our mii's to different systems.

The games:

Wii Sports -
I seriously did not expect this game to be any good, after all it WAS free and it WAS "designed" for the nongamer.

However... I deserved to be stuck down. We spent a good 5 hours playing wii sports, through all of the games, and I have to admit... it's pretty fun. Well.. more correctly, VERY fun. Using our own mii's made it that much funner as well. I won't go in detail, I'm sure we've all read and heard to death about wii sports. The motions are picked up well by the wii/sensor bar, though it's by no means perfect. To be expected, given it's free and simple nature, and the fact that it is a release title as well. Over time, I expect developers to better grasp the potential of the motion sensors and make tighter motion control possible.

This is definitely a game you should let the family play, when I head home for the holidays my parents will get a chance to play wii sports, and I believe they will be enthralled by it.

Red Steel: You're probably wondering.. how is it in the end? Well, I have mixed feelings... the controls are not as bad as everyone said it was, if that's what you're worried about. It definitely takes getting used to , but afterwards it's pretty damned fun. You don't worry much about the turning speed, and at times it's not noticeable at all unless you're a fps junkie, and even then -I- didn't notice it much. By notice , I mean it didn't really effect my gameplay at all, though I could definitely see where some people were coming from.
The swordplay controls are fine my opinion, they aren't atom precise, and sometimes the swings lag from the motion slightly, but overall for a first attempt they did a good job. We uped the motion length setting in options and it made it even better, since everyone was making wide motions instead of the short subtle motions the game sets its katana fight controls on default.

I got a few hours in only, sadly, but I'm happy with the game, it really shows the potential for fps games on the wii. I recommend you pick it up, though I will warn you the multi player isn't near as good as single player. It's still fun, but the lack of levels and modes and weapon choices makes it seem.. empty. Fps's these days are a bit more.. meaty. Time Splitters 2 allowed a large selection of weapons, levels, modes ,and characters, and that was a gamecube game (as well as ps2). I may unlock more stuff as the game progresses, but for the moment the multiplayer has potential and not much else, you won't find anything too new besides the controller setup.

That doesn't mean it's not fun of course, we still had a blast playing it. I still prefer single player, however.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess:

Whats to see? Everything everyone else has said is true. I know I will sound fanboyish, but from what little I played, I can expect the rest of the game to be amazing. It's not perfect, far from it, but by definition nothing can ever be.

The graphics are actually pretty damn good, seeing as this is basically a gamecube game. This is without HD. The control scheme seems to have undergone massive thought, and fits the game perfectly. The only complaint I could have so far would be the sword swings. I have no problem flipping the wiimote to swing my sword, but I can see how at times I might get tired of doing it after a long serious session, but besides being lazy it's pretty well thought out, everything feels smooth and nice.

A lot of sounds are made out of the wiimote, and though not the highest quality sounds it brings a smile to my face. Small things like that just make the whole better. The game feels like a sequel to Ocarina of Time, which can be good or bad depending on how you take it. Personally, I hold the belief that sequel, (which is what it is) should at least feel in part like the sequel. It makes sense to me anyway. And seeing how many call Ocarina of Time the best zelda game, or at least one of the best, I don't see the problem with it being similar. It's still a very, very different game. Like the guys at the ign review said, marking it down or being too much like ocarina of time is saying that the game would be better if it was different for the sake of it, which is not true. I'm truly enjoying this game, and I see it easily taking game of the year. Yes, it's that good, and many of the puzzles have my cursing the developers.

That same cursing may turn some people off...the game is definitely harder. And the game expects you to make big logical leaps, which just take time to finish and requite some thinking.. but of course we know a lot of people don't like taking time or thinking,heheh. A lot of these logical leaps have you slapping yourself on the head after you figure it out, I spent a good 3 hours in Ordon Village (first village) doing random crap trying to figure out how to advance the game. Yes, a long time, but to my credit a lot of my time was wasted on fishing to advance the story. The fishing system for bob fishing isn't explained well in the manual, and fishing has been giving a lot of people problems. Eventually I was sent a link to a video showing how it's done, and I managed to catch the fish I needed to advance the story. Besides that long annoying time fishing, I haven't had problems with the game.

Twilight Princess is extremely fun, which is what counts the most I guess, and I recommend at least giving it a go. It's definitely one of those games you probably don't want to miss out on, so that years later when someone brings up the game and everyone in the room smiles in memory, you aren't the only one left in the dust.

Over all, the wii is great, well worth my 250 dollars in my opinion. The two games I have are enjoyable, and so is wii sports. The potential is easily seen and makes me giddy, and I'm pleased to display the console in my massive collection. It's not a graphic whore machine, but it is a fun machine. And even the graphics aren't bad at frikin all. Sometimes you have to wonder whether you want pretty or fun I guess, though we'd all prefer both I'd assume.

Overall, I'm pleased, all my friends want to buy one now, and I'd recommend it to just about anyone. Next up, a ps3 to finish my console collection when the price goes down and the store availability goes up.

I know I didn't go to specific into quite a bit, but if you have a question feel free to ask.

Overall I 'm happy with the system , the Wiimote takes a little getting use to , as it feels a little lighter than I expected, but easy to use and navigate around with . Wii Sports it is very fun especially Bowling and Golf . I'am having blast playing Zelda and the contoller with the Nunchuk is very responsive , it is a little weak on the graphics side , but pretty game nevertheless . Can't wait till the online browser goes live . Good times ahead .

Back