to mod or not to mod that is the Question

well i wish i could do it except
1) i dont have a wii.
2) i dont have a mod-chip.

hey is Cyclo-Wiz the best mod-chip out there?

MRCOOLGH said:
hey is Cyclo-Wiz the best mod-chip out there?

I have heard of it but I have read that WiiKey is the best. I'm using that one...

Chewtoy said:
I think it sounds cool, and would possibly think about doing this if I knew for a FACT that I'm not flushing $250 down the drain. So you guys that have done this keep posting!

Well at first I was scared for many reasons...
1. Afraid of getting it bricked. Then I read some more about how to avoid bricking and it was a piece of cake.
2. My warranty!! Well of course if you modify the hardware of the Wii in any way the warranty is automatically cancelled.
3. See nr 1!!
4. Was scared of Nintendo doing anything like Microsoft... But it's impossible for them, the Wii itself doesn't know there's a modchip inside (stupid Wii!!)

Good points tho:
1. Games (obviously!!) Can't talk too much about that though (admiiiins)
2. Friggin' homebrew! It's an awesome feature.
3. Region free! No worries about regions anymore. NO WAIT FOR BRAWL.
4. Multigame loads. Well this is a homebrew application, you can put many gamecube discs on 1 DVD.

I wanna let the admins know that we're not talking about piracy. It is about backups, legal backups. :wink:

----------------
Now playing: Bob Dylan - Tombstone Blues
via FoxyTunes

My buddy has modded every system he has ever had including all of the new gen systems...he said that the wii is by far the easiest system he has ever moded. He actually said the chip is super easy to make too if you know how to sodder and can do it for about 2 dollars. The instructions are online. I however do not like the risk with wiiconnect 24 and all it just doesnt seem worth it to me. To big of a risk. I love my wii its not going under the knife!

I modded my Wii. It's so easy to do it your self. The only thing I had to pay for was a PIC programmer and a tri-wing screwdriver which totaled $20. Homebrew is so cool. I love having my Gamecube games on one disc. Homebrew is limited to the Gamecube side of the Wii. I have not come into any problems with the channels or anything.

dont you people see that modding is okay? if you know how to do it then go for it. but if your afraid of doing it then oh well then your not gonna get many games at all because their exclusives to japan and europe or AU(which is rare). so then your screwed. try modding your wii you will not turn back i garantee it.

Friends got a modded Wii. He loves it. I would rather just play the games I have purchased. It's not that I hate people that mod their Wii's. It's just that I wouldn't want to. I like things as they come. Clean and simple.
My friend can play all he wants. He can switch games every few minutes. While I sit and slice and shoot through Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Each to their own.

Currently there are still a few games that can't be played except on their native country such as Naruto. Modding right now is for playing backups that you own or Gamecube homebrew. I am sure when Wii homebrew is developed another chip will probably be needed but who knows how long that will be. The 360 still doesn't have homebrew yet except for running linux.

Side Note: Bricking happens when you play an import that requires an update that is built into the disc and you select update. As long as you update the Wii via the online update system you shouldn't brick your system.

Last edited:
I would never mod my Wii, but I must say I do own an Ez Flash V card for my DS, because I simply couldn't afford the games for both consoles, my DS was just getting dusty, I didn't buy a game for it like for two years.

I must add that what they said about games losing value when you own all of them is true, at first it was great to have all those games for my DS, but now I hardly play it. I have so many games and have played them all at the same time that I hardly finished any and got rapidly bored of it. Now I only play 3 or 4 games and the rest are junk for me, but I'd probably enjoy them a lot more if I had really bought them.

That taught me a leason, I was thinking about modding my Wii before, but now I don't, I have really enjoyed all the Wii games I own because I had to save for them, and I don't want to lose that.

EDIT: Well that goes for me, if you can have all the games you want and take your time to enjoy each one as you would like, then good for you.

im gonna have to go with no modding..

games arent that expensive, if you cant dish out 50 bucks for a game then dont buy a wii in the first place. buy a gamecube and pay 3.99 for used games.

to those of you who have modded your Wii enjoy stealing youre games, thats not sarcasm either. i hope yoru wiis dont get bricked. no wii deserves that! lol.

personally i dont watn burned games because i like haveing all the cases and all the actual discs and everything. same thing with movies, its a collection for me.. no one wants to look at burned discs in thsoe stupid skinny CD cases. lol

These are all good points, but who knows for sure that there is no way for
Nintendo to brick our Wii's in the future somehow, and then I've lost $250 because I was greedy? There is no way to know, so I'm just going to play it safe for now unless I find a used Wii or for cheap sometime down the road.

1:Voids ya warranty
2:FW Updates ruin it
3:possibly illegal where you are from, in AUS it is totally Legal
4: There are ways of tricking your Wii into playing GC games from other regions, you cannot however do this with Wii Games

I just want to say that not all people who mod pirate. Yes it is possible and majority do pirate but that is not everyone. From my experiences most people pirate games that they don't intend on buying in the first place but just wanted to check it out.

cookiemonsta11111 said:
4: There are ways of tricking your Wii into playing GC games from other regions, you cannot however do this with Wii Games

1. Nintendo has a good track record and I typically can fix/replace something if it goes wrong.
2. Depends on the chip. I use an open source chip I programmed and had no problems. If there is a problem then someone will patch it.
3. QFT
4. Currently the only way to play a majority of Wii games from other regions is by a chip.

For those looking for a legit option right now that allows you to access to Gamecube homebrew on the Wii, doesn't void your warrenty, and play import Gamecube games then get the Action Replay for the Gamecube + SD Gekko Adaptor + SD card. There is lots of information online just search for SDload on google and you will find it.

cookiemonsta11111 said:
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Maybe in your home country. But I don't get it totally. It's not illegal to mod it. It's like you'd buy a guitar and wouldn't be allowed to buy new pickups on it...
4. Almost all of my games are NTSC... and I live in Europe! I don't know where you get this info. Because it's totally wrong.
----------------
Now playing: Pulp - Live Bed Show
via FoxyTunes

Elfman said:
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Maybe in your home country. But I don't get it totally. It's not illegal to mod it. It's like you'd buy a guitar and wouldn't be allowed to buy new pickups on it...
4. Almost all of my games are NTSC... and I live in Europe! I don't know where you get this info. Because it's totally wrong.

actually elfman it is true you can trick your wii into playing GCN games from other regions by first inserting a GCN from your region then when you go to the disc channel press start and quickly press eject then insert your GCN game from other region.

Back