trading in games...

trading in games at a local store is so convenient that stores like ebgames are able to get away with ripping people off. it's not really a scam if people know exactly what they're getting. some people just don't like money as much as others... haha... convenience is key.

lackluster dj said:
trading in games is a scam. have you noticed that every time you walk into a game store it's: "hey there, got any trade-ins?" "next time bring in your old games and systems"

you get so little return on your investment and they're making a killing off of them.

you know that they are just going to take the game you gave them and sell it for considerably more money than they gave you. dunno bout you, but that doesn't sit well with me.

while you may not think it's worth your time, ebay is the best way to go.

stop feeding their system!!!

/rant :smilewinkgrin:

Everyone rags on EB games/gamestop on the trade in policy. You don't own a piece of property here -- it's a copyrighted material. In reality, I can't believe the used game market exists because of copyright laws... Regardless, you have to be patient and do it at the right time.

For instance -- join the Gamestop membership thingy. You get 10% extra trade in and 10% discount on purchase. So, for instance:

I bought Madden 08 and HATED it. I took it back and the trade in was $25 or half what I paid. That's not much but I have a membership (+10%) and they are running a promotion where you get an extra 30% if you trade in 5. That is in addition to the 10%. So, I got an extra 40% on 25 or $35 for the trade in. By the time you pay ebay listing fees, final value fees, and paypal fees, you don't really do any better most of the time. On top of that, I bought Mario Strikers Charged used for 44.99 minus the 10% membership for an actual price of $40.49 plus tax. So yet was a $6 spread going from Madden 08 to Mario Strikers.

Yep, they put it to you on games that didn't do so well -- like red steel --. $9 is the trade in on that at the moment. Even with the extra 40% it was still $12.60 but, again, after ebay fees and paypal fees I wouldn't have fared any better and I still had to hassle with ebay.

To each his own, I guess, but you are buying entertainment -- not a car or lawnmower. To get anything back on trade at all is great. Many countires copyright laws don't allow for commercial resale of used titles... I'm on who is glad they do here in the good ol' US of A.

I took in 4 PS2 games to Blockbuster and got $33 total. Not bad considering they are PS2 games. I'm using this credit against the WiiPlay as I need another remote.

just saying... buying used games at gamestop is guarenteed that they will work. If it doesn't work, you can take it back in 30 days and exchange it. Things on ebay and online trades aren't always guarenteed...Oh, and just something cool. If you sign up for the Gamestop newsletter (email), they send you cupons good for one week like "$10 extra credit for a xbox360 game." If you wait for the right time to trade, you can get a lot more.

Back