Turning Off The Wii.

DEAN616

Account On Hold
Sep 23, 2007
When i turn off my wii the power light turns yellow and stays that way. Is this wasting power? Also i felt the side of it and its warm even though it wasnt on for a while. Now i unplug the cord from the back. I dont want my cord to start getting loose so is there and other alternative? Thanks

Yea if you just push the power button it stays in standby mode. That is indicated by the yellow light. The only real advantage to that is that your wii connect 24 stays on. If you dont care if your wii is connected all the time just hold the power button longer and it will turn completely off and have a red light. That means that its totally off and not wasting power. Well i guess its using some to light the led but that would probably be a nickel or so a month in electric. Anyways hold the button till it turns red. :lol:

Silly people...

DEAN616 said:
When i turn off my wii the power light turns yellow and stays that way. Is this wasting power? Also i felt the side of it and its warm even though it wasnt on for a while. Now i unplug the cord from the back. I dont want my cord to start getting loose so is there and other alternative? Thanks

If you botherd to read your Wii manual you would find your answer.

DEAN616 said:

i don't think it does. Its basically the power to light up either yellow or red, i dont see the difference.

d4mahern said:
Yea if you just push the power button it stays in standby mode. That is indicated by the yellow light. The only real advantage to that is that your wii connect 24 stays on. If you dont care if your wii is connected all the time just hold the power button longer and it will turn completely off and have a red light. That means that its totally off and not wasting power. Well i guess its using some to light the led but that would probably be a nickel or so a month in electric. Anyways hold the button till it turns red. :lol:

As far as I understand it, that isnt exactly true. Not the bit about the yellow light, but the red one.
Like most ac powered electronic units, the red light indicates that it is in standby. Not turned completely off. For wii, there are two versions of standby. Yellow and Red. Its just that one keeps a few more parts of the wii active and so uses more electricity. However, (and this applies to all electronic items) leaving anything on standby (ie red light) does waste quite a lot of power as the unit is not totally turned off. Some items, such as digital reciever boxes use THE SAME(!) amount of electricity whether on or on 'standby'.
So this applies to pretty much everything you've got-
DO NOT LEAVE THINGS ON STANDBY.
Turn everything off at the plug when not using it. You waste ALOT of energy (and money) otherwise.

yeah if youre gonna leave it on red standby , you mite as well turn it off , but if your connected and want to be alerted of emails or updates thenkeep wii connect 24 on and leave on yellow standby mode ,
my wii is quite warm but on 24/7 , it is designed for you to keep on as such but if its in a warm or enclosed environment id move it or turn power off completely .

f1982 said:
As far as I understand it, that isnt exactly true. Not the bit about the yellow light, but the red one.
Like most ac powered electronic units, the red light indicates that it is in standby. Not turned completely off. For wii, there are two versions of standby. Yellow and Red. Its just that one keeps a few more parts of the wii active and so uses more electricity. However, (and this applies to all electronic items) leaving anything on standby (ie red light) does waste quite a lot of power as the unit is not totally turned off. Some items, such as digital reciever boxes use THE SAME(!) amount of electricity whether on or on 'standby'.
So this applies to pretty much everything you've got-
DO NOT LEAVE THINGS ON STANDBY.
Turn everything off at the plug when not using it. You waste ALOT of energy (and money) otherwise.

This man speaks the truth. You should listen to him. The wii uses approx 1 watt/h when in "red" standby and 10 when in yellow:cool:

Interesting... I always wondered about this... but i like to keep my wii on standby mode so that I have a nightlight in my room. jking but it does kinda lul me to sleep. Kinda scary though cuz the last time I had a nightlight was like 13 years ago o_O

Power to the text smileys!

Fencefry said:
Interesting... I always wondered about this... but i like to keep my wii on standby mode so that I have a nightlight in my room. jking but it does kinda lul me to sleep. Kinda scary though cuz the last time I had a nightlight was like 13 years ago o_O

Power to the text smileys!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE MAN! lol I keep mine on also. I have been woken up by the errie blue light before. Can scare the bejesus out of you if you're half asleep:shocked: lol kidding

Does anyone know if you actually need to keep on 'yellow standby' to recieve updates etc from ninty? Basically, is it like email where as soon as you turn on, you'll get the update/message whatever, or does it only come through at specific times and you you would need to keep the unit on to make sure you catch it when it comes through?

If it (whatever 'it' is) can be sent to your wii at any point when connected to connect24, then there is no need to keep your wii on standby at all.

f1982 said:
Does anyone know if you actually need to keep on 'yellow standby' to recieve updates etc from ninty? Basically, is it like email where as soon as you turn on, you'll get the update/message whatever, or does it only come through at specific times and you you would need to keep the unit on to make sure you catch it when it comes through?

If it (whatever 'it' is) can be sent to your wii at any point when connected to connect24, then there is no need to keep your wii on standby at all.

As far as im aware. Any messages, including from ninty(updates etc) get delivered as soon as you turn it back on.

brendo said:
As far as im aware. Any messages, including from ninty(updates etc) get delivered as soon as you turn it back on.

Then in that case there is absolutely no need for anyone to use either red or yellow standby!
Its almost worth starting a petition for everyone to turn their wiis off at the plug when they're not using it.
Its just wasting energy and money on something completely pointless!

f1982 said:
Then in that case there is absolutely no need for anyone to use either red or yellow standby!
Its almost worth starting a petition for everyone to turn their wiis off at the plug when they're not using it.
Its just wasting energy and money on something completely pointless!
It uses about the same amount of energy as a low energy light blub. Probally not the best way to be saving the planet:smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:
No, the Wii doesn't take much power at all when it's in standby mode. Infact it takes about the power of a small, dim, lightbulb when it's in standby.
Anyways, the yellow light means that it's in Wiiconnect24 mode, where it can receive updates and messages.

Back