USB to ethernet adapter help

thoughtcrimnal84

WiiChat Member
Sep 7, 2006
I don't have wireless but i do have a wired router. I am looking to buy a usb to ethernet adapter to get my Wii online. Can someone who knows about this double check these adapters and make sure if these would work with the wii. As far as i know either should, i just didn't want to buy one and have it not work. Thanks

I am looking at getting one of these two adapters
BuyXtra.com
BuyXtra.com

Any feedback is appreciated

can you just plug the usb cable that comes with the modem into the Wii and have it work? I've been curious about this....

no. The wii dosnt physically have the port to plug a network cable straight in. The converter just basically allows you to plug a network cable from your hub/router into the ethernet adapter, which plugs into the usb port. And answer to the first question from what i know it should be fine.

it has USB ports, and I can't plug in a usb cable from my modem and have it work?

I think epikon meant that you can't plug a network (CAT5) cable into the wii because it doesn't have an ethernet port. If your modem has a usb port i imagine that you could just plug a usb cable into both of them and have it work but i have no technological knowledge about it.

My modem doesn't have a usb port so i will be running ethernet cable (Cat5) from my router and into a usb to ethernet adapter like one of those i posted above and then into the wii's usb port.

USB modems dont work with PS2 online fyi so i doubt its the same with the Wii as you would have to install drivers etc

Will those USB -> Ethernet things DEFINITELY work with the wii?

micster said:
USB modems dont work with PS2 online fyi so i doubt its the same with the Wii as you would have to install drivers etc

Will those USB -> Ethernet things DEFINITELY work with the wii?

it will 100% work if your connecting your wii to your hub/router via a CAT5 cable.

this is a cat5 cable here: http://images.tigerdirect.com/SKUimages/medium/Main-PLugs.jpg

once you get the adapter you plug it into your wii usb port then plug your CAT5 cable into that.

If you arent using a CAT5 cable you most likey using a USB modem. If so it should plug straight in without a ethernet adapter. Im sure you all know what usb looks like.

Yup. I am just running Cat5 cable from my router into the adapter and into the wii. Thanks a bunch

There is an Official Nintendo USB Ethernet adapter get that not a third party adapter unless it is said to work with wii.

Link_of_Hyrule said:
There is an Official Nintendo USB Ethernet adapter get that not a third party adapter unless it is said to work with wii.

is it coming @ launch?? no1 at gamestop seems to know @$#%& about it

I would stick to the nintendo product because when it comes to network adapters, there is no gurantee that things will be compatible.

Back