Virtua tennis 2009

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't motionplus being released with wii sports resort in the summer?

oh, and the graphics are pretty disappointing. innovation is great, but i think it's fair to say that a LOT more effort could have been spent on making the game look as good as it handles...

Of the two, Grand Slam looks like it might be better to me. EA usually does a pretty good job on Wii games.

Wow, great review! Thank you for posting it, goheat. After reading it, I think I've made a decision about which one to get. This line says it all for me:

"While Grand Slam uses the Wii remote's buttons to modify the type of shot you deliver, everything in VT 2009 is determined by the type of movement you make."

From the eurogamer.net hands-on review: "In the end it might just come down to the buttons. The EA game uses A and B to modify your swings into lobs and drop shots. This, reckons SEGA, is weak. "To do a lob, you just... do a lob," says my coach, as he generously allows me to be the first journalist to try the game's MotionPlus controls."

This, in a nutshell, explains why Virtua Tennis will be THE tennis game on the Wii or any console. It's not about graphics. It's about REALISTIC CONTROL. (Ditto for Tiger Woods Wii 2010.)

This, in a nutshell, explains why Virtua Tennis will be THE tennis game on the Wii or any console. It's not about graphics. It's about REALISTIC CONTROL. (Ditto for Tiger Woods Wii 2010.)

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. I can't wait for this one to be released.

Meh, I'm still going with Grand Slam Tennis. It seems more smooth.

Although, maybe I'll rent them both first... But so far I'm pretty set on GST.

I had pre-ordered both at Amazon, but they were insisting the ship date would be June 15th for both games, despite Grand Slam coming out on June 2nd and Virtua on June 9th. So I cancelled that and reserved them over at GameStop, along with a pair of MotionPlus controls.

I'm tempted to grab the PS3 version too, just for the 1080p graphics. :)

Rob

1337endo, reasons for preferring the GST? I think I want the Virtua but I could be convinced otherwise.

RobG, don't you think you'll just end up preferring one over the other and never using the other one? Does the PS3 have any kind of exercise involved? I've only seen brief spots of the PS3 at stores, and I think the graphics are far better than the Wii. But the reason I bought the Wii was for exercise. I have way too many ways to eat up time already. LOL I have to have some means of justifying buying "computer games".

I love my PS3; I got it first (about a month ago). A couple weeks later, I got the Wii, because my wife wanted one. I love the Wii too. The two systems are so completely different that they're really hard to compare.

The PS3 seems to have more "serious" games. The graphics are phenomenal. I really like the DualShock3 controller. It has some motion sensitivity, btw... you can tilt it side/side and front/back (or even upside down) and it knows. There's also supposed to be a game where you swing it, much like you do the Wii remote, but I forget at the moment what that game is. I've been downloading some demos off of PSN, like the new Tiger Woods game, the two MLB games, and so on, to see how they are.

I still have a PS2 (got it not long after launch), and loved SSX. I just got SSX Blur on the Wii. It looks every bit as good as on the PS2, but it's WEIRD to control it using the Wii remote/nunchuck. It felt absolutely at home on the old DualShock2 controller.

Some games come naturally to the Wii, some to the PS3/Xbox. The graphics definitely play a part too. Somebody posted here about the new Wolverine game on the Wii. I just got it on the PS3 and it's pretty slick. I wouldn't get the Wii version just because of the graphics quality (since I have a PS3 too).

I'm VERY stoked about the new tennis games. You're right I will probably end up liking one over the other. I don't wanna wait though; I will get both, try both, and then decide which I prefer more. If one is REALLY good and the other so-so, then the so-so one will get sold off. If they're both good, I'll likely keep both. It kinda depends how easily I can adapt from one control method to the other. Heck, playing Wii Sports Tennis has gotten me to get my tennis rackets out of the closet, get fresh grip tape on them, and get ready to go out and play for real.

I got the game systems because I live on my own in an RV here in the SF Bay Area (for work), while my wife is in Reno. I commute back and forth a couple times a month. It gets pretty boring out here. I can't go ATVing because the greenie liberals that infest the area have closed off all public land to anything with a motor... to ride, I have to go 3+ hours into the mountains. So that's out, at least until the snow melts.

Like I said, my wife wanted the Wii, so I got one. I took it to Reno, she loved it, so I left it there, and then got another one for the RV. The PS3 is too expensive to get two, at least right now. Plus she's not into "those" kinds of games (the "serious" ones). She LOVES Wii Sports. Heck her mom (67 yo) was over today and they were both playing Tennis and Bowling.

Rob

Last edited:
Ok, that makes sense. I do think the PS3 has gorgeous graphics. The Wii graphics on most games leave something to be desired, although from what I've seen the new Tiger Woods game looks pretty darn good. I wonder if there's a reason they can't combine movement and great graphics? Some of the things I've seen on the PS3 have been amazing.

That said, I spend way too much time sitting behind a computer every day, both for work and personal. So the Wii was really attractive as a form of exercise. I like the idea of getting exercise in a game, where you don't really realize you're exercising until the next day when you wake up unable get out of the waterbed due to sore muscles. LOL

Back