Virtual Console Component Cable Problem

Brad Bishop

WiiChat Member
Feb 15, 2007
I remember a while back that there was a problem with some of the Virtual Console games and the component cable.

The 'solution' was to use the composite/S-Video cable for NES/SNES games.

Was there ever a resolution for this with using component cables? It'd be nice to have one connection between the TV/Wii instead of 2 and having to deal with the swapping for different games.

I remember reading that Nintendo was apparently working on something but in a sort of unofficial capacity.

I don't have a Wii yet (can't find one) but when I get one it'd be nice to know that this was worked out.

Thanks.

What? Umm.. I've had VC games since launch and I never experienced a problem. I've also had the component cables since launch and yes, I've had internet since launch. >.<

...There was no problem for me. But then again I have a very expensive TV...

Upon further investigation I realise my TV fails to tell me the resolution it's recieving when playing VC games. It does this with 60hz GameCube games, too... strange. Regardless, the picture I see is perfectly useful for playing VC games. The TV can display the picture in either YCbCr or YPbPr modes.

100th post!

I have not experienced any problems with the VC Games or Game Cube Games with the use of the Nintendo Component Cable and my HDTV. Everything runs smooth.

This is the strangest thing I've ever heard.
I'm using a projector with the component cables and have never experienced any resolution changes when starting a VC game. On the other hand I can see the change when starting a GC game, specially if I select the progressive scan option.

Sounds like it's not an issue (or maybe just an issue with certain TVs). Anyway, it was an ongoing thread here and, I think, in the Wii forum on CheapAssGamer.com. I was a bit concerned about it as I could see myself getting quite a few VC games.

Thanks for the replies.

Back