VC "out of range" for my TV

smartroad

WiiChat Member
Dec 29, 2007
Has anyone else had this problem...

Trying to play NES, SNES games on my Wii and my TV comes up with an "out of range" message. N64 games work OK and when you press the home button with (S)NES games the screen appears. I am using the component cable and my TV is an LG M228WA. All is OK with the composite cable but I don't want to have to keep changing the cable just to play SMB. I have tried contacting 'N' but they never get back to me.

The TV is reasonably new HD Ready machine, I can't believe the VC can't be told to use a more uptodate screen mode :(

If not, then no more VC for me :(

I've never seen or heard of this error in the Wii's menu, It is most liekly an error from your t.v.'s menu itself.

Could be the setup on your t.v. try chanign the settings. The VC games can not be displayed in the 480p setup and unless your t.v. is doing the streching for you are not a native 16:9 screen ratio.

If you have the channel pre-set to display only in progressive scan or 16:9 then when an older VC game pops up that is in 480i and 4:3 it will not work. Look at your t.v's owners manual, I'm sure you have a setting to fix it. Might be a pain in the butt but it will work.

If you t.v. has a set default level for each input "like 480p min for component 720i min for HDMI ect."
Then you might have to go through the pain of changing out the video cables whenever you want to play a 480i 4:3 style game. They try to make the t.v's do all the work these days so its more userfriendly. It ends up being harder on the people that have lot's of equipment hooked up, specially when the equipment can varrie in signal outputs.

Last edited:
Ahh well, no VC for me then. I am not going to pull everything out to change over cables. :lol:

I can't be the only one, surely the VC can use a screen mode that can be put onto the 480p signal, i mean it isn't limited to the original hardware.

-edit-
Don't suppose anyone knows what the refresh rate is for VC games?

Last edited:
Did you try adjusting the video signal settings for that channel? Most will let you change the settings of the input siganl. It will suck but you won't have to swap out cable that way, just make an adjustment when you want to play the older games.

At worst you can just use both the cables for the Wii, conponent you bought and the composite that came with it. Leave them in and all you have to do is leave them both near the back of the wii, you won't have to drag out the t.v. to swap out cables every time, all you have to do is remove the plug form the back and swap it over. Then change the channel to match pretty simple considering you have both sets of cables.

The VC games are limited by the original code, they don't change or update the games in anyway. All they do is use an emulation to play an old systems game. Kinda the point of the VC isn't just to play a remake of a game you had as a kid, but to play the exact game you had as a kid... ha ha\

Good luck, I'm sure you will figure it out.

Last edited:
-edit-

Sorry miss understood. doh! :lol:

No I can't change the setting for the channel annoyingly. The funny thing is that my 42" plasma in the living room plays it with no problems at all. Just the LG in my room does :(

Ya all HD's are different, have to research them well to make sure they fit your needs.

Usually you can fix them simply like iI said here, but sometimes if you get something way wrong you have to spend big bucks to fix it like with upconverter's and scalers to match the t.v.'s set resolution if it doesn't do a good enough job upconverting stuff for you.

it is just annoying that the Wii can't simply upconvert it itself. I mean the emulators on PC's do this and that is really all the VC is. :(

Back