wep key help....again

wiiwillroc

WiiChat Member
Nov 6, 2007
Ok maybe in my last post i wasnt giving enough info. I have a mac. so maybe the reply's you did were only for pc. well i need to know how to figure it out on a mac. i use road runner. please tell me how to do this.

P.S i know what a wep is, i just dont know how to find it

thank you

are you looking for the wep key? if that's what you mean the wep key is found at the bottom of your router near the serial number or at least that's the place mine is

You're WEP key is part of your wireless security settings for your router. Whoever set up your router chose your particular key. You would need to be able to go into the configuration screens for your router to determine what it is (this exact procedure depends on what type of router you have).

Just to clarify in case its not, if the router does not have the default WEP key printed on it somewhere, than you need to access the routers settings to look it up or change it.

Once you know the correct ip address to type into your internet browser address bar, then you can access your router's settings.

The following is for Mac computers:
"To find out if an address has been assigned, bring up settings and click on Network. On the TCP/IP tab, you should see the IP address that is current assigned (as well as a router address). Almost always, you're IP address will be in the form 192.168.#.# (replace the #'s with any number between 0 and 255). If you see an address that looks like 169.#.#.#, then an address was not assigned and OSX just gave you a local lan ip."

If you indeed find a 192.168.x.x address, then open an internet browser and type it in the address bar. A box asking for login name and pass should pop up. If you've never set this, some routers can be accessed by typing in "admin" in the login spot. Try without a password.

Then in settings look around for wireless settings and eventually by digging you'll find info about your wep key. My only experience is based on using Linksys routers so unfortunately your setup may vary.

If none of this has helped than give us some more info about your setup.

Is your computer the only one connected to this router? Is it connected by an ethernet cable or wirelessly? What is the brand of your router?

Back