what cable do i need (ps3)

lamby8

WiiChat Member
Dec 14, 2006
what cable do i need for my ps3 to make it HD i got a HD tv but no hdmi input instead dvi but im lookin at dvi to hdmi cables and theres 2 types dvi-i or dvi-d which 1 do i need plz reply thx

lamby8 said:
what cable do i need for my ps3 to make it HD i got a HD tv but no hdmi input instead dvi but im lookin at dvi to hdmi cables and theres 2 types dvi-i or dvi-d which 1 do i need plz reply thx

First, even though your tv is HD, make sure its HDcp. Second go with the DVI-D.

DVI-I:
DVI-I contains both the digital and analog connections, (DVI-D + DVI-A) , it's essentially a combination of DVI-D and DVI-A cables within one cable.
DVI-D:
DVI-D (like DFP or P&D-D (EVC)) is a digital only connection. If both devices being connected support a Digital DVI connection (DVI-I or DVI-D compatible) and are compatible in resolutions, refresh rates and sync, using a DVI-D cable will ensure that you are using a digital connection rather than an analog connection, without playing around with settings to assure this.

Its reccommended you go for the DVI-D.

Since i tend to literally type out essay length explainations, and im in the middle of something im going to do some copy and paste work to make it easier.

HDCP
"Although manufacturers are still making most products with at least component HD output, new generation of products like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray devices will limit the analog output resolution (Analog defined as Component or RGBHV). The highest resolutions these devices can output (720p/1080i/1080p) will be available on via the digital (DVI or HDMI) connections that employ HDCP encryption. Any new HDTV purchase should have a digital HDCP compatible input. "

Hope that helped.

lamby8 said:
how do i tell my tv is hdcp
here it is
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/969530
i bought i for £300 ages ago its discountinuesd now thats y its cheap

ah k. Just checked up on it for ya. Its not HDcp compliant, sorry. I heard that you can use a type of PS2 cable over the DVI-D/HDMI. Perhaps that would be a better rout to go rather than spend a lot of money on a cable that wont help much.

lamby8 said:
is it anything like 480p or 720

Your tv supports "1080i, 576 P, 480 P, 576i, 720 P, 480 i"
But because it lacks HDCP, the PS3 will automatically downgrade it to 480p. If the TV were HDCP it then would fully be able to use the max offered by HDMI.

but 480p is still hd itsnt it sorry not very good with all this hd stuff

lamby8 said:
but 480p is still hd itsnt it sorry not very good with all this hd stuff

perhaps. Im not the best with it either. All I know is what i have found out about it. To get full HD you need a HDCP ready tv. TVs arnt really my field so im only going of what information i can find or know previously.

but 480p is still better than normal pictures isnt it

lamby8 said:
but 480p is still better than normal pictures isnt it

480p - 704x480 So i guess if you want to call it HD you can. But i believe that resolution is more SD(standard Definition).

Heres a link if you want to read up more on it. http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/HDTV-Resolution.html

So what im getting is that HD quality is also associated with higher resolution, which is necessary for the high defintion.

Put it this way, the highest resolution the Wii can output is 480p with the component cables, so if you are buying the PS3 for the graphics, you might want to consider buying a tv that can support 1080p

Back