What happened to arcades?

allsport21

wanna talk cfb? let's go.
Apr 27, 2007
any theories why these low light level lounges became extinct? I know what your gonna say... they've become online gaming cafes! just post a theory and maybe your fav arcade game.

Everything is going online now

- Gaming
- Shopping
- Banking

Arcades rock!, Most you have to be 18 to play in though, And most are in Cinemas + Bowling places

man! my gaming career started when i was 3. my uncle to me to an arcade to play space invaders. i've been hooked ever since!

Hmm, kinda hard to say. Possibly money factors, possibly the multiplayer based games that came out on consoles (used to be awseome being able to play 2-4 player simultaneously, but it's become a norm nowadays). Possibly the price of the arcade machines themselves - Most Arcade games I've been on in the past 5 years have been 50p a go. Considering sometimes you don't even get 10 minutes of play, it can become quite expensive after a while (especially in multiplayer).

They became the ground for just gambling machines
I have seen this slowly happen
Also the power of recent v/g consoles plays a part

I did go into a proper arcade recently (ie dim lights musky atmoss) and saw the state of some of the cabs there shame there isn't a charity like the rspca for cabs
I wanted to throttle the guy behind the counter there where classic games there (dyna blaster (joysticks where broke), Out run Europa (off) A neogeo one slot (samurai showdown, the cab was open I coulda grabbed the cart) and a few more that I cant remember)
I even offered to buy them (forgetin I live about 80 miles away, and im on the top floor of a block of flats, and I only got two rooms that they could go in) the guy said no
Even when I went recently to Wales my fave cabs where off (no fighting mania/after burner two the proper cab)

http://www.wiichat.com/lounge/1098-close-retro-heven-your-gona-get.html?highlight=arcade

A old topic by me of arcade haven

Apparently they're still big in parts of the world (and more multiplayer oriented), just not in the US so much any more. I just caught a special about it the other day :)

i know of a few arcades that are still around :)

i have "adventure land" in farmingdale NY, "sports plus" in lake grove, and theres a few places in NYC like near china town that have arcades and whatnot. they do exist

i forgot to mention "splish splash" in riverhead ny. almost all of these places have websites online so check em out.

There are only two arcade areas that I know of in my area. One of them being on BC ferries where they have a small section with various arcade games set up and the other being in Famous Players, Richmond. Other than that their mostly gone. Mainly due to the fact that we now have hand held games, various consoles etc there is no need for arcades.

=| yesterday i had a really fun time at the cinema (they have an arcade) me and some friends spent about £20+ (each time one of us died we put in £1... and i spent about £10...) on 'House of the Dead 4' arcade machine, only managing to get halfway through the 2nd level =( but it was ace none the less =D...

i'm even buying an Xbox 359 :3 (just for the house of the dead series... need a HD light gun though... £50!!!?!?!?!)

And a while back i played time crisis 4 i think it was... that was good too...

and when my mate passes her driving test we're going to blackpool =D for more arcade fun!

arcade machines are good for playin' on rails shooters =D... but they are expensive... i guess... but at the price of fun there is no charge =D... the film was £5... and it wasn't even that good =(... (spiderman 3 (N))

Here in Australia its my opinion that Drug dealers using them as a base to work from has made it difficult for owners to get permits and keep them :aureola:

man i miss sega rally so much i have the pc port but its nothing like the originals gameplay!

in Canada we have a couple Playdiums throughout the country....very few but the ones i was in were huge....had restaurants in them and everything...super fun

yeah i beleive there is a place in america called chuck.e.cheeses that is kinda the same

Back