What is your honest opinion of Love?

The Storm

Legendary Super Saiyan
Mar 22, 2008
Im bored, so i figure, why not open up a new topic. We've already got a thread on does God exist, one on if Gay marriage should be legal, one on the proof of Scientific theory, so I figured it would inevitably come to this: Does Love exist?

I believe yes.

Now before anyone starts posting, let it be known that you can voice your opinion here free of any type of prosecution. You will not be called soft, or sappy, or sissy, or gay, or anything derogetory... not gonna be put up with. I want people to voice their honest opinions on Love and what it means to be "in love".

so without further ado, let the discussion begin.

I believe Love does exist... Actual Love, not just lust, but real, true Love does exist... Its just incredibly rare to find.

It does exist, but in my opinion there's not one only person meant for another. It's fine to think that (in a way, I suppose I do myself), but it's pretty easy to realize that it's not the case.

what do you mean? Im not sure I fully understand what your saying

In other words, I don't think there is one individual "meant" for another, and no one else. It's more like a pool of people that are similar in compatibility, one of which you will fall into true love with, depending on your geographical location among other factors (I suppose there could be more than one that you come across and your heart is torn between them, or you never meet any of them, but I'm trying to keep it simple).

ah. i gotcha. i dont entirely agree with that... But I understand what your saying. I believe like you, that people are grouped somewhat... And they can fall in love with one another... But I do believe that there is only one true love that you can find; no two people are the same... I believe there is only one meant for another, and if your lucky enough to find them... Then youll need nothing else in life.

I suppose I'm just more realistic on the matter. I've been in a relationship for nearly a year now (9 more days or so till the mark) and I'm definitely in love, and personally I would be destroyed if something happened where we would have to split, but odds are that even if it takes 30 years, it's a possibility that I will find someone else. One could argue that that my current girlfriend wasn't my true love in the first place, but that would just be petty and unprovable.

If I lived in North Carolina (picking somewhere close to my actual location so that there's not a huge difference in my development as a human being), there are big odds that I would eventually fall in love with someone who isn't my current lover. That's just how it is, in my eyes.

Love exists in several forms. Loving your family, for example, is different from loving your close friends. Both of which are different from falling in love with a significant other. I agree with Tyler however, that there isn't just one person meant for you. I thought this was false until I got cheated on. Now I realize that you can fall in love with someone who may be right for you...mostly. But since nobody is perfect, there can be multiple people that are "right" for you. It just depends on which traits you're willing to deal with.

If love exists? yea it exists but not the corny movie crap, meant to be does not exist, the base of love is friendship, that's what you need before you can stay your whole life with another person, so to me love is an extreme case of friendship

To define love theres a few different types that most common of witch is the love between family members (no not insest)
If they didnt care you would probably be out on the street.
Then theres the love between man and Greggs pasty
That one is short lived

Well, there are different types of love:
Love for someone else.
Love for yourself.
Love for material possessions.
Love to do an activity.
Etc.
If you mean love for someone else, then yes, I think that there is that kind of love, but you have to search for it. Shakespheare phrased love as being blind, and Roman (I think) mythology says that Cupid is blind.

The Matrix: Revolutions said:
Love is just a word. What matters is the connection the word implies.
personally i say yes love exists all around us differently. loving a spouse, loving your family, loving something. there's always love, its just what is the connection you describing as love.

Love is something beyond explanaiton, held between a man, and his beloved...

Clone, that is.

[video=youtube;mgQWBD6P2ok]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgQWBD6P2ok[/video]

It does exist, but in my opinion there's not one only person meant for another. It's fine to think that (in a way, I suppose I do myself), but it's pretty easy to realize that it's not the case.

Well, there are different types of love:
Love for someone else.
Love for yourself.
Love for material possessions.
Love to do an activity.
Etc.
If you mean love for someone else, then yes, I think that there is that kind of love, but you have to search for it. Shakespheare phrased love as being blind, and Roman (I think) mythology says that Cupid is blind.

These two posts sum up my opinion entirely, really. Love comes in multiple forms, be it a romantic, platonic, etc. Along with that, my belief is also that "true" love isn't restricted to only a single individual in the world. Not much else I can say on the matter.

Back