Wii Fail At Life: Wait... What? (Caution)

AtomicB

Sep 18, 2007
In my room. Working on project E-vile.
Wii Online Code
5873-1290-1753-2112
WiiFail.jpg

I swear this is what happens when the clock strikes midnight.

If you're familiar with my threads, you'd know how this all goes down.

I choose a topic that Wii-haters seem to love to use as ammo, and try to debunk all of it. It's usually accompanied with a one panel image like the one above.

Well not this time.

In order to... what do they call it? "Broaden my horizons," or something like that, I decided to make a thread about the Wii's faults.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Wii. It's the best system I own, but I need to be as objective as possible, and if that means making a thread that goes against what I usually preach, so be it.

Now then.

1. Graphics
Now, the Wii's graphics aren't "bad". But in this day and age? The Xbox 360's graphics are utterly amazing. The PS3 hasn't even seen it's full potential. If you look at the Wii's graphics, you can't help but sigh.

Graphics aren't essential to a game, but you have to admit that they make the experience that much more enjoyable.

It saddens me that we will never see Wii graphics look like Bioshock or Mass Effect.

People claim that the we don't know the Wii's specifications. They often point to Super Mario Galaxy.

Galaxy didn't have amazing graphics. It did for the Wii, and it was very, VERY stylized and artistic, but the graphics weren't amazing. All it did was use lighting, textures, and effects in a clever way.

People often say that Super Mario Galaxy didn't push the Wii to it's full potential. These people are the same people who say we don't know the Wii's specs. So while the Wii's graphics might get better, they most likely won't reach 360 levels.

The 360 and PS3 are bigger in size for a reason.

2.Online

Nintendo's online is terrible. It's as simple as that.

Some people say this is due to Nintendo's late entrance to online. True, while they need time to adjust, this doesn't change the fact that it's terrible.

It's also easy to say that it's due to the fact that it's free. Well, the PS3's online is free as well, and they have better online still.

Nintendo needs to shape up, take out friend codes, start adding voice-chat, and let people play together already. There's no excuse! Nintendo also acts blind to it as well, claiming people like the security of Friend Codes. Have you EVER heard ANYONE say 'I love friend-codes'. How about even 'I enjoy friend-codes'?

I'll give them one year, and if they don't have online by then, I'll lose all hope for any decent online from Nintendo.

3.Third-Party Support

Back in Nintendo's hay day, people would pay Nintendo to be able to develop a game for them! Not so much. This is evident in the onslaught of party games and lame, half-done, buggy ports.

Now, the Wii does have a bright future as far as third party support goes. Fragile, Monster Hunter 3, Sadness, No More Heroes, Disaster: Day Of Crisis, and the possibility of Call Of Duty 5 (IGN) being on Wii shows this.

But if these don't sell, big third-party devs won't see the Wii as anything more than a fad in which good games don't sell.

So not to many complaints here. But still, Nintendo should not leave the quality up to the developers and start cracking down on the ones trying to make a quick buck.

4.Raw Power

AI, Physics, On-Screen enemies, frame-rate, you name it. The Wii just isn't as powerful as it's competitors. This accounts for the $250 price tag. The Wii can do 'enough', but it's still a not as good as the PS360.

And you honestly can't tell me the Wii's power should have been improved. It COULD have been improved.

People point to Super Mario Galaxy for physics. While that's true, the only reason Super Mario Galaxy can pull that off is because of it's almost none existent AI.

That's all I have right now. I'll post more as I see fit or as it crosses my mind.

Oh, and one other thing.
DO NOT POST UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THE FIRST POST AND HAVE SOMETHING INTELLIGENT TO SAY.

omgz wii still sux!!!!1!!!ONE1!!

jk good post, but nothing people dont already know, even the wii haters knwo it

No arguments here...

AtomicB said:
WiiFail.jpg

I swear this is what happens when the clock strikes midnight.

If you're familiar with my threads, you'd know how this all goes down.

I choose a topic that Wii-haters seem to love to use as ammo, and try to debunk all of it. It's usually accompanied with a one panel image like the one above.

Well not this time.

In order to... what do they call it? "Broaden my horizons," or something like that, I decided to make a thread about the Wii's faults.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Wii. It's the best system I own, but I need to be as objective as possible, and if that means making a thread that goes against what I usually preach, so be it.

Now then.

1. Graphics
Now, the Wii's graphics aren't "bad". But in this day and age? The Xbox 360's graphics are utterly amazing. The PS3 hasn't even seen it's full potential. If you look at the Wii's graphics, you can't help but sigh.

Graphics aren't essential to a game, but you have to admit that they make the experience that much more enjoyable.

It saddens me that we will never see Wii graphics look like Bioshock or Mass Effect.

People claim that the we don't know the Wii's specifications. They often point to Super Mario Galaxy.

Galaxy didn't have amazing graphics. It did for the Wii, and it was very, VERY stylized and artistic, but the graphics weren't amazing. All it did was use lighting, textures, and effects in a clever way.

People often say that Super Mario Galaxy didn't push the Wii to it's full potential. These people are the same people who say we don't know the Wii's specs. So while the Wii's graphics might get better, they most likely won't reach 360 levels.

The 360 and PS3 are bigger in size for a reason.

2.Online

Nintendo's online is terrible. It's as simple as that.

Some people say this is due to Nintendo's late entrance to online. True, while they need time to adjust, this doesn't change the fact that it's terrible.

It's also easy to say that it's due to the fact that it's free. Well, the PS3's online is free as well, and they have better online still.

Nintendo needs to shape up, take out friend codes, start adding voice-chat, and let people play together already. There's no excuse! Nintendo also acts blind to it as well, claiming people like the security of Friend Codes. Have you EVER heard ANYONE say 'I love friend-codes'. How about even 'I enjoy friend-codes'?

I'll give them one year, and if they don't have online by then, I'll lose all hope for any decent online from Nintendo.

3.Third-Party Support

Back in Nintendo's hay day, people would pay Nintendo to be able to develop a game for them! Not so much. This is evident in the onslaught of party games and lame, half-done, buggy ports.

Now, the Wii does have a bright future as far as third party support goes. Fragile, Monster Hunter 3, Sadness, No More Heroes, Disaster: Day Of Crisis, and the possibility of Call Of Duty 5 (IGN) being on Wii shows this.

But if these don't sell, big third-party devs won't see the Wii as anything more than a fad in which good games don't sell.

So not to many complaints here. But still, Nintendo should not leave the quality up to the developers and start cracking down on the ones trying to make a quick buck.

4.Raw Power

AI, Physics, On-Screen enemies, frame-rate, you name it. The Wii just isn't as powerful as it's competitors. This accounts for the $250 price tag. The Wii can do 'enough', but it's still a not as good as the PS360.

And you honestly can't tell me the Wii's power should have been improved. It COULD have been improved.

People point to Super Mario Galaxy for physics. While that's true, the only reason Super Mario Galaxy can pull that off is because of it's almost none existent AI.

That's all I have right now. I'll post more as I see fit or as it crosses my mind.

Oh, and one other thing.
DO NOT POST UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THE FIRST POST AND HAVE SOMETHING INTELLIGENT TO SAY.

Well I love my Wii, The truth is... the specs aren't all that great. and your right pretty much on everything so yea... Wii fail at life :cryin:

Valid points.
Me as a Wii owner, I don't mind the graphics and the online.
I just know the games to get, and which ones to pass on etc.

Things could be better, but I am more than satisfied with the Wii.

Good post again AtomicB.

Mario strikers is probably the best online Wii game i have played (really the only one) i dont have problems with my wii. I enjoy it, its just other peoples comments on it frys my poo.

ok i have to ask you guys in here one thing do any of you like the wii if your answer is yes then shut up, jeez how come every day i check these threads someone one is always complaining if you really dont like your wiis sell them or trade them in cause im tired of people complaining about there wiis jeez i have love for my wii and thats all i care about

I say it is good to get this out. Now if only we can educate the casual consumer to make the market decrease in numbers, hopefully Ninty would shift focus BWAHAHAHA.
The Wii looks awful on paper and isn't that much better for me in practice. The games are rarely involving enough. The most or even remotely involving games are First Party games and this has been a standard in Nintendo for a while and it got much worse when Nintendo lost Rare.
Everyone here seems completely new to online and they probably think your perspective is off. It isn't. Network play is for a cluster of random people to play and meet new people, not play with your friends because you're too tired to go over to their place although you can add their name EASILY to a buddy list that does nothing but help you SEEK the player.

F.Y.I. I say this because fanboys say this is technically better than PS360. LOL!!!!

1) People say that the Wii is a souped up Gamecube but the GC's power hasn't even been fully exploited yet. Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 are gorgeous Wii games and it's only going to get better. People just have to accept that the Wii doesn't have the power of the PS360 and get over it. If graphics are that important, then get another console.

2)I have little faith in Nintendo's online. It seems to be kicking and screaming about having to provide online even when the gamers have made it clear that online gaming is a must. Again, Wii owners are just going to have to accept that Nintendo is probably not going to be serious about online and hope that 3rd parties make a better online like EA and Medal of Honor Heroes 2. Maybe there's a chance that there will be a Nintendo game that doesn't frustrate people but I'm not holding my breath.

3)Third parties didn't expect the Wii to be such a success. Many of them were with little doubt just planning on throwing scraps or even just forsaking the Wii entirely. The only company that took the Wii seriously was Ubisoft and Grasshopper and well the former is hated by Wii owners. But now the Wii is on top and the 3rd parties were caught with their pants down. In addition to shovelware already assigned, some publishers were just throwing crap onto the Wii in hopes of cashing-in. But sooner or later, 3rd parties WILL be forced to make better games; they can't rely on just selling crap games for the Wii's lifetime because consumers won't tolerate that. I think 3rd party games have been selling well enough. NoA reported an attach rate of almost 4 games per Wii and stated that the rate is split 50/50 between 1st and 3rd party games.

4)See no.1

exactly cause im really gettin tired of complaints about the wii this the wii that i know my wii is sweet and could never go back to regular gaming but if you dont like the wii by all means sell it and shut the he** up lol

The thing is i don't give a **** about graphics, Gameplay is the only thing that i care about and the Wii is the only system that provides with a reall gaming experience not the same crap i played 10 years ago with the same exact controller *cough cough* SONY!

I totally agree with brigipson^^^^^

im really gettin tired of complaints about the wii this the wii that i know my wii is sweet and could never go back to regular gaming but if you dont like the wii by all means sell it and shut the he** up lol

Last edited:
i agree whole heartedly with everything but let me just say this about online and i am DEFINITELY not defending nintendo here.
the wiis target audience is obviously casuals. nintendo does still care about the hardcore gamers but theres no doubt the selling point is the fact that anyone can play. this is nintendos strategy. now, they cant have voice chat and such an open online environment, because even if we know that parents should moderate their kids game playing, the parents themselves are considering the safety of everything when buying this system. they know nintendo is safety crazy. so if nintendo puts in voice chat or makes it easy to exchange user names they are driving away some of their core demographic in casuals. you may say that doesnt matter, but nintendo has to make the wii work. it cant make extra profit on windows or walkmen like microsoft and sony can. although i am hopeful for the wii's online future, especially with games like worms enabling us to grab peoples FCs who we play, at least hopefully you can see where nintendo is coming from on this.

I'm a huge graphic and online whore, and agree that they could have upped the graphics a bit. They could also be pursuing an online option with a lot more zeal than they currently are.

That being said, they're obviously doing something right with their games... hence my expanding game collection below. The PC still holds a slight edge in gaming for me though.

Back